1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anybody decide not to use the new remote?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by monkeydust, Aug 23, 2013.

1. monkeydust

monkeydust New Member

Dec 12, 2004
    I have 3 active TiVo's now. I keep pressing the Zoom button on the new remote because that is where the Guide button used to be. Now, I might agree that the new remote has a layout that is a bit more logical. But, I think it might be better if I am using 3 of the same remotes instead of 2 the same and 1 close but with a few buttons moved around. Just don't think there is any reason to use the new remote over my old glow remote that isn't currently being used.

2. ilovedvrs

ilovedvrs Member

Oct 20, 2004
    I switch back to my Slide remote.

1) small is better
    2) RF seemed unresponsive to me, a few button presses didn't work
    3) no backlight
    4) no keyboard
    5) I couldn't get my Sony Soundbar buttons programmed (input/power/volume) I tried all the codes. the Slide is programmable so it wasn't a issue. is this remote programmable?

3. zordude

zordude WDW Fan TCF Club

Sep 23, 2003
    Malden, MA
    I didn't even open the sleeve with the remote in it, just kept on trucking with my Harmony One.

4. HenryFarpolo

HenryFarpolo New Member

Dec 1, 2008
    Andover Ma
    I am an equal opportunity remote user. I tried the new remote and it is fine. I prefer the slide. I also use a Harmony One for my non-TIVO activities.

5. BiloxiGeek

BiloxiGeek Reality Challenged

Nov 18, 2001
    Gulfport,...
    Going to keep using my harmony remote for the most part. The new RF remote will go on the kitchen counter to take advantage of the RF signaling. From that location we can watch tv while eating dinner, but had to raise up and point the harmony to get it to work. The RF remote can just sit on the counter and works fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

6. generaltso

generaltso Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Vermont
    The lack of learning function is a deal-breaker for me. I'm sticking with the Slide until something better comes along.

7. HenryFarpolo

HenryFarpolo New Member

Dec 1, 2008
    Andover Ma
    What are you trying to learn? I programmed mine to control the same functions as i did the slide.

8. GoHokies!

GoHokies! O2->CO2 Converter

Sep 21, 2005
    KFME
    I'm hoping that the new remote is suitable, I'd like to move the Slide up to the bedroom TV. That one is getting a mini, and the slide will let me put the mini behind the dresser out of sight.

9. generaltso

generaltso Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Vermont
    I have the input button set to turn on the bias lighting behind my TV. I also have the TV power button set to turn the light off the same time it turns the TV off. That kind of customization is never going to happen without a learning function.

10. GoHokies!

Sep 21, 2005
    KFME
    Do you ever watch TV without the bias light?

I have a power strip that has outlets that turn on/off when the device plugged into the "control" outlet is turned on or off. So, when I turn on the TV, the bias light and receiver outlets power up. When I turn the TV off, everything goes dark.

It also has a handful of always hot outlets for things like the TiVo.

11. generaltso

generaltso Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Vermont
    Yeah, I don't want the bias light on during the day when the kids are watching TV. The bulbs aren't cheap, so I only want them burning when they're needed. Using the input button to turn it on works great. I just hope my Slide remote never breaks :)

12. GoHokies!

Sep 21, 2005
    KFME
    Yeah, you and me both!

Mine is just a LED strip light, so that doesn't bother me.

13. Goober96

Goober96 New Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Anderson, SC
    Where'd you get that power strip? I did a brief search for that functionality a while back but didn't find anything.

14. generaltso

generaltso Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Vermont
  15. GoHokies!

Sep 21, 2005
    KFME
  16. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Northern...
    Has anyone tried pairing the Roamio to the Slide's dongle on a non-Roamio DVR?

17. generaltso

generaltso Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Vermont
    You mean pair the Roamio's RF remote to the Slide's bluetooth dongle?

18. jcthorne

jcthorne Active Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    The included RF remote has a much more limited range than the Bluetooth Slide remote. The stock RF was pretty unresponsive from my chair in the Home Theater room where as the slide works fine (with the receiver in front of the TiVo). As the included remote does not have IR, its pretty useless in a large room. A definite down grade from previous remotes.

No matter, I have a drawer full of stock peanut remotes. This adds one more.

Hopefully Tivo has a new accessory remote in the works.

19. monkeydust

monkeydust New Member

Dec 12, 2004
    Laying on my bed, the new rf remote is easier to use signal-wise in that I can use it without having to raise my hand in the air like I have to do with my old remote to get clearance from the foot of the bed. But, I think I'd be more frustrated by hitting the zoom button over and over when I'm actually going for the guide button.

20. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    Haven't even gotten my Roamio yet and I am about 95% sure I am going to use the Slide.

The new Roamio remote is inferior to the Slide in every way except that it doesn't require a dongle (who cares).