1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any word on the release of the TiVO Minis?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by buscuitboy, Sep 28, 2012.

1. buscuitboy

buscuitboy New Member

Aug 8, 2005
    Atlanta area
    I currently have an S2, S3 & 2 dual tuner TiVo Premieres. Comcast has been playing games with me for the cable cards & I'm tired of their fees so I am anxiously awaiting for the TiVo "mini" to come out. Therefore, I can hopefully dump/sell all my current TiVos and then simply get a Premiere 4 or XL4 along with several "minis". All of the equipment will then be running off one single M cable card.

Therefore, I don't have to worry about all these extra "outlet fees" Comcast has been throwing on me. Not to mention how I will then hopefully also get OnDemand at some point on at least the main Premiere. At which point I can also truly be able to dump ALL Comcrap related hardware.

I see how the TiVo "stream" finally got released. Any word on when the "mini" might get released here? I'm hoping before Xmas & maybe even before Thanksgiving, but is that being too optimistic?

2. larrs

larrs Movie Fan-Addict

May 2, 2005
    DFW
    +1. Why is there no news? paging Dave Zatz....

3. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Active Member

Mar 21, 2004
    No new news. We only got 2.5 weeks of notice between the Stream's official marketing kick-off and its release, so this may happen suddenly too.

What we DO know with fair confidence is that the fall update will be dropping in October. RCN is saying mid-to-late October for their customers; retail box folks MIGHT get it a little sooner if past rollouts are any indication.

Since the Mini needs the fall software, it won't come out before the full rollout. Until Tivo gives us a clue with some kind of Mini marketing kick, all we can do is keep an eye on the Software Priority signup page since that has to happen first. Lame but it's all we got. lol.

http://www.tivo.com/mytivo/software-priority-request/index.html

4. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Active Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    Even though it is two different customers, I don't see them trying to market it while they are still in the initial push for the Stream, and as it has been mentioned it requires the fall update which is soon. It potentially could confuse customers.

I see it before the holidays, but if they don't make a November release pre-Thanksgiving it could be January.

5. edtude

edtude New Member

Oct 12, 2009
    Frederick MD
    Well I just did an interesting survey for Comcast Advisory panel and it specifically mentioned and IP Settop Box for purchase or for rent.

6. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    FYP.

Before the the stream was released, people were confused about which box did what.
    When the mini is released, people will STILL be confused. Just wait and see. :D:p

7. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I think the reason people are confused is because they don't understand why an extra box is even needed for streaming to an iPad. TiVo to TiVo streaming works so it seems logical that you could stream to another device given the proper software. Unless you're a video geek who knows the difference between MPEG-2 and H.264 you're unlikely to realize what exactly the Stream does or why it's even necessary.

I think the Mini's functionality will be a lot more obvious to people. And once it's released and properly marketed people will realize what it's for pretty quickly. The Stream will still cause some confusion, but it's much more of a niche product so most people wont pay too much attention to it. Most of the attention it gets now is from people who either think it's a Mini or from people trying to use it to fill the same need as a Mini via AirPlay or other means.

Dan

8. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    The stream would have largely been unnecessary if Apple had procured a chip with mpeg2 decoding. Kind of baffles me why they didn't, it's not like it hasn't been around forever and it's the primary TV format.

9. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    But that would still only be for Apple people. I certainly hope the Stream doesn't stay an Apple only product.