1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any way to turn off Discovery Bar?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by rgr, Dec 2, 2013.

1. Dec 2, 2013 #1 of 26
    rgr

rgr Member

Feb 21, 2003
    The discovery is a major waste of screen space and the items I de-select in Settings keep showing up regardless of being checked or unchecked.

For instance I had everything deselected , except for programs in My Shows. So of course they showed up, but so did New On Demand items. AND the ever irritating ads (bad enough that there are ads in the TiVo Central list, but every screen on the unit doesn't have to get me to buy Charmin products)(someone should really explain to the marketing folks that pushing ads at every single opportunity is not a good way of leaving a good impression on the consuming public).

I can see that some may want to use the Discovery Bar as a reminder of what's available. But I don't, so I'm hoping there's some secret code or setting that will turn it off.

If not, this should definitely be something to add to the next update.

2. Dec 2, 2013 #2 of 26
    lgnad

lgnad Pantless Mofo

Feb 14, 2013
    Massachusetts
    You cant turn it off, and dont expect any ability to do so... Tivo thinks they're nifty... those extra advertising spots help pay for tivo executives bonuses :D

3. Dec 2, 2013 #3 of 26
    jwbelcher

jwbelcher New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    I actually miss the way the discovery bar worked in the TivoHD Beta Search. Theme wise, very similar to Roamio, however, it was more real-time with suggestions. If you clicked on a program icon, it would explore that show and immediately change the discovery bar with other shows. You could jump adjacent programming / genres quickly and find many more shows to try out.

4. Dec 2, 2013 #4 of 26
    Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    They tried this initially, but the Premiere hardware was so slow they changed it in an effort to speed up the overall UI experience. They probably could go back to this now with the Roamio/Mini hardware but as of right now they're still sharing a code base with the Premiere so I doubt they will.

5. Dec 3, 2013 #5 of 26
    windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    The DB has definitely gotten better (remember when the squares weren't all a consistent size and the whole thing scrolled sluggishly?), but I, too, would prefer an option to hide it completely.

6. GmanTiVo

GmanTiVo give me more options

Mar 8, 2003
    Ridgewood, NJ
    I just upgraded my home to a Roamio Pro & 3 Minis (soon selling mt reliable 2TB S3 and ridding myself of 3 VZ DVRs).

One thing I really dislike after being a TiVo user for 10 years is the Discovery Bar :thumbsdown:. I know wht I want to watch and it annoys the hell out of me. :mad::mad:

Any known hack to disable it? Like TiVo Suggestions, it should be optional, especially since all 4 unita are Lifetime Subs.

Now I have to find a way to have the 30 Skip skip instead of doinf a really fast foward....

otherwise all great, and easy to install (MoCa)

Gman

7. tatergator1

tatergator1 Active Member

Mar 27, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
  8. jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    You have some slight controls on what it shows, but otherwise he is here to stay.

9. GmanTiVo

Mar 8, 2003
    Ridgewood, NJ
    the S P S 30 S (during a recorded playback) was the 1st thing I tried but the Roamio does not jump a true 30 sec, instead it does this super FF to 30 ahead. I'll have to retry

Real bummer for the Discovery Bar.... I take it TiVo get some kind of monetary renumeration for displaying ads and shows I don't care to see.:(

10. tatergator1

tatergator1 Active Member

Mar 27, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    The SPS codes can be a pain to get the Tivo to recognize sometimes. It's best to enter it while watching a recorded program. If all else fails, the 3rd-party program "kmttg" has an option to send the 30 second skip code to the Tivo via the network connection with a high success rate.

11. GmanTiVo

Mar 8, 2003
    Ridgewood, NJ
    got the SPS30S to work, maller remote /big fingers... had to do it 3 times to take :)

12. ohboy710

ohboy710 Member

Jun 30, 2008
    agree, discovery bar is stupid

13. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I like it. I've found a bunch of programs over the years from the Discovery Bar.

14. andyf

andyf Active Member

Feb 23, 2000
    Houston,...
    Must admit, it's been useful a couple of times for me too.

15. javabird

javabird Active Member

Oct 12, 2006
    Seattle
    I kind of like it too.

16. rgr

rgr Member

Feb 21, 2003
    DB is one of those features some find useful. Since I don't, I was just wishing that I could turn it off. Not advocating eliminating it, just to make it optional.

17. GmanTiVo

Mar 8, 2003
    Ridgewood, NJ
    +1

I'd like to always have the choice on what to use, display, etc and tailor anything I own to MY likes & dislikes.

18. lorenw

lorenw New Member

Nov 20, 2013
    The Discovery Bar has not shown anything of interest to me ever. I know what I want to record, and set things I choose. I would surely remove it if possible, along with the other stuff I never use.

19. moonscape

moonscape Member

Jul 3, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    I'd love the option to remove it, but at the very least, I wish it took up less real estate so the menu could be larger.

20. Rodney

Rodney TiVo'd since 9/17/01

Jan 26, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Totally agree.