1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any way to transfer movies to TiVo Premiere Elite?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Xab, Apr 14, 2012.

1. Xab

Xab Member

May 21, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    I've been away from TiVo for some time, and just got a Premiere Elite. I was wondering if there is any way to transfer a few movies that I have on my PC to the TiVo?

2. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
  3. Xab

Xab Member

May 21, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Thanks for those suggestions. Do they just stream the video, or can I straight up copy it to my TiVo? I don't mind if file conversion is required.

4. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    They both facilitate MRV or copy from the PC to the Premier. You can watch the movie during transfer, so it does "feel" like streaming...

Some work was being done to see if MRS - streaming from the PC to the Premier could be accomplished leveraging the new Premier streaming architecture - but I think the community development team pretty much abandoned the effort.

5. gweempose

gweempose Active Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    pyTivo will transfer the video to your TiVo. It will show up in your NPL as if it were another TiVo. I've never used TiVo desktop, but I imagine it works the same way.

6. Fofer

Fofer XenForo Rocks! TCF Club

Oct 29, 2000
    In the meantime, there is another community development project called "StreamBaby" that does, in fact, stream from PC to TiVo and doesn't leave a copy/cache behind.

7. Xab

Xab Member

May 21, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Figured it out. What tool do you guys recommend to convert a video into a format for the TiVo? And which format is the best, mkv?

8. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    The Tivo only accepts Mpeg II video (.mpg) with the normal transfer method.

You can "push" MP4 to the Tivo with PyTivo.

PyTivo will convert the format of the video on the fly (if needed) during transfer.

If you want to do the converting, Handbrake is mentioned often.

If you want to include video editing, VideoReDo is a favorite.

9. MichaelK

MichaelK New Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ

will streambaby stream MP4 to the premiers?

10. plazman30

plazman30 Member

Jan 22, 2005
    I would just go with pyTivo. It does all the conversion for you, and you have the option to push or pull. I've been using pyTivo since the day I got my Premiere. It'll take you about 15 minutes to set up, but then your PC looks like another TiVo on the network.

On my Premiere, the transcode and copy is faster than realtime, so I am able to start watching most shows as soon as I start the copy without any interruption.

11. Xab

Xab Member

May 21, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    One other question, is there any way to rename or organize the movie files once they are transferred to the TiVo? I have a couple movies that have strange names that correspond to how they were named when they were downloaded. Any way to change them, or put multi-part things into a folder manually?

12. steve614

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    No, not on the Tivo.

If you download a .tivo file to the computer, you can use software to strip the Tivo wrapper from the mpeg video.
    Once you have the file as an .mpg, you can rename it anything you want on the computer before transferring back to the Tivo.

With PyTivo, you can make your own customized meta data files to accompany the video file (check the PyTivo threads) when you transfer them to the Tivo.
    This method allows you to control how videos get grouped on the Tivo.
    For instance, you could set up all your movies with associated meta data so that when you transfer them to the Tivo, they could all be grouped into a folder named 'Movies'.

13. djrobbo67

djrobbo67 New Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Its free and will automatically transcode any format and put it on your Tivo or even Xbox 360 or Ps3! Just google it!

14. jgaermom

jgaermom New Member

Oct 22, 2005
    i have tivo desktop and a premiere elite. When I go to my shows my tivo does not see my laptop. How do I do the transfer? my laptop does transfer from my tivo to my laptop I just can't go the other way around.

15. steve614

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Are you connecting through a router, or straight from Tivo to laptop? Wired or wireless?
    Check to make sure the Tivo Desktop Server is running on the laptop.
    Also, you have to have Tivo compatible video files in your My Tivo Recordings folder. If any videos in that folder are not .tivo or .mpg files, the Tivo will not see them.

16. jcthorne

jcthorne Active Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    the programs cannot be renamed or grouped into folders once on the tivo. You can define the name and folder as part of the metadata before the file is pushed to the tive and have the titles and folders you want.

I suggest you do some reading over in the Home Media section on pytivo and several other utilities for working with media files and the tivo.

17. Revolutionary

Revolutionary Too sleepy for TV...

Dec 1, 2004
    Virginia
    If the files are .mp4, .m4v, .mov, .wmv, or .avi, you need Tivo Desktop Plus ($25), or pytivo. I use Tivo Desktop Plus and it is utterly simple.

18. Ed_Hunt

Ed_Hunt Pokerpro

Jan 2, 2004
    Patterson,...
    You don't need desktop plus just to transfer those file types, the free version does that.

19. steve614

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    With the free version of Tivo Desktop, you can only transfer .tivo or .mpg files from PC to Tivo.

Unless you know something I don't? :confused:

20. lujan

lujan Member

May 24, 2010
    I'm getting a second Premiere and since we're talking about transferring movies, does anyone know how to copy Season Passes from one TiVo to another or do I need to re-create all the season passes and other settings again?