1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any way to tell Roamio to auto tune HD channels?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by anthonymoody, Sep 5, 2013.

1. Sep 5, 2013 #1 of 95
    anthonymoody

anthonymoody New Member

Apr 29, 2008
    Just back to TiVo after three years in Scientific Atlanta purgatory. Love the Roamio plus so far (even though I've had to drop back to 5 tuners).

Something I noticed straight away...TiVo doesn't seem to know that when I select channel 2, it should (behind the scenes) auto tune the HD version which is channel 702 here (Cablevision in Westchester county, NY).

As bad as the SA DVR was, as least it knew to do this. I deselected all the non HD channels in the guide, which helps with clutter. But...still a tad frustrating since everyone in the family is used to certain channel slots and some don't match so neatly (eg YES is 70 in SD but 715 in HD).

Anyway to use the lower number channels and have the TiVo auto tune the HD versions?

TIA.

2. Sep 5, 2013 #2 of 95
    Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
  3. Sep 5, 2013 #3 of 95
    k2ue

k2ue Retired RF Engineer

May 9, 2002
    Victor, NY
    Go into Channels I Receive and uncheck every SD channel that has an HD equivalent, so your channel surfing pool only has HD wherever possible.

4. Sep 5, 2013 #4 of 95
    sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    You can also do the deselect of SD Channels right in the guide.

5. Sep 5, 2013 #5 of 95
    DaveDFW

DaveDFW Member

Jan 25, 2005
    Richardson, TX
    Nope. Even if you have unchecked the SD channels from the guide, you can still select those SD channels by simply keying in their numbers.

It sounds you have some family re-training to do. :)

6. Sep 5, 2013 #6 of 95
    Millionaire2K

Millionaire2K New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Philadelphia
    I think the real problem here is your family not wanting to learn the HD chs. Why would you tune to an SD station just to be switched to the HD version?

Go oldschool and print out a HD ch listing. Also try changing the guide order to A-z. This will make it easier to find the HD ch's you don't know without having to go to the SD ones you know.

7. Sep 5, 2013 #7 of 95
    anthonymoody

anthonymoody New Member

Apr 29, 2008
    Well when you've had the same channel lineup for years and years and years you get very used to certain things. 2 has been CBS for decades. Having to tune 702 to see the HD version of this is unnecessary as even the horrible SA dvr has demonstrated.

Add two 7 year olds into the mix (Nik is one of the channels that doesn't line up...) and things get even tougher.

I get that it's not a hardship, but given that the worst DVR on earth does this automatically I don't think it's asking too much. The data to map a channel slot (eg 2) to the HD version of the station (eg 702) obviously exists as the SA DVR does this. Or, if not easily accessible somehow, maybe they could at least offer the ability to optionally remap channels manually.

I did de-select all the non HD channels, as I stated. And it does reduce guide clutter which is nice. But for direct tuning, it just strikes me as strange that a cutting edge DVR - which in every other way I can find runs circles around the SA box - can't do something I find pretty basic, and more importantly handy.

8. Sep 5, 2013 #8 of 95
    Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Better yet teach your family that there is no need to live watch TV, then they wont need to know what channel anything is on. ;)

9. Sep 5, 2013 #9 of 95
    FACTAgent

FACTAgent New Member

Aug 27, 2013
    NJ
    FYI - Windows Media Center can do this (merge HD with SD channel in the guide and allow you to select which source - SD or HD - is tuned). For instance, I merged 702 into 02 so I have one listing from CBS with 8 sources to choose from (4 ch Ceton) and the ability to set default prioritization among the sources. I have asked Tivo for comparable functionality in every survey I fill out. This is better than SA or Tivo because customer has a choice - some users on Cablevision forum want to record the SD channels to save space on their 8300 DVRs.

10. wco81

wco81 Member

Dec 28, 2001
    San Jose, CA
    When you do a search for shows, does it at least identify which ones are in HD and which ones are not?

Say you search for a Fox show and it would show both the SD channel and the HD channel ones with the latter labled as such?

That is how Direct TV's DVRs do it.

11. TC25D

TC25D New Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Yes.

12. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    What would you do on the other box if you actually wanted to watch the SD version of a channel? I do that when they stretch or zoom an SD show on the HD version of the channel, and I want to watch it without getting a headache from the stretched/zoomed mess.

13. tim1724

tim1724 Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2007
    Temple City, CA
    Me too.

So many times I have wished for an "unstretch" setting on the zoom button. Especially for that non-linear stretch that some channels use. When anything has left-right panning while stretched I get so dizzyÂ…

14. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I would hate for a STB to tune to a different channel than I select. If I enter channel 2 then that is the channel I want to go to. I wouldn't want it to go to something like 702. If I wanted to go to 702 then I would enter 702.

I'm glad the TiVos do not do this. I would hate this.

15. anthonymoody

anthonymoody New Member

Apr 29, 2008
    Gee Aaron thanks for coming out in favor of lack of user choice. I really love when people decide that their opinion and/or use case is "the way it should be" and try to jam it on everyone else. I hate that I don't have the option to enable this basic, handy functionality. I never said every tivo should automatically auto tune HD. Choice man, choice. See how that works?

Having to manage HD space is no longer an issue for me.

Watching SD on a 75" screen is basically a non starter, so I don't.

Relearning or reteaching new channel slots is unnecessary. Not a hardship, just unnecessary. As has now been pointed out repeatedly, both very powerful solutions (WMC) and the worst DVR on earth (SA) can do this. So it ain't rocket science.

Though, since TiVo can't even figure out a way to hire a temp dev to redo the SD menus I guess I shouldn't be surprised that they can't be bothered to offer this kind of simple, handy, optional functionality.

16. k2ue

k2ue Retired RF Engineer

May 9, 2002
    Victor, NY
    I'm with you -- think there should be channel aliasing to speed up direct channel entry, since cable systems seem intent on longer numbers for HD.

17. SugarBowl

SugarBowl Member

Jan 4, 2007
    Cary, NC
    My family watches channel 2. I watch channel 1102. I've learned not to care if they keep watching SD.

18. anthonymoody

anthonymoody New Member

Apr 29, 2008
    It really is funny (sad) how many homes one walks into to find people "loving" their shiny new flat panels unaware of the fact that they're watching an SD feed!

19. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Where did i say that is the way it should be? i stated my opinion only. I never said any where that is the way it should be. i only said I(not someone else) was glad they did not work that way and I would hate it if they did.

20. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Some people are fully aware they are watching SD. My parents know perfectly well which channels are HD and which are SD on Comcast. My Mom prefers to tune in the SD channels and my Dad doesn't care whether the SD channel or the HD channel is being tuned. But that is their choice so it's not my place to say it should be otherwise. If they want to watch SD let them, it would not be my choice though.