1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Breaking News - The sale is back... "Our “once in a lifetime” PLS promotion was such a hit, that we’ve decided to launch it again! The PLS Transfer Sale will be available again for the last 3 days of the month. This will include the BOLT+ 3TB, and 4 refurb units (BOLT 500GB, BOLT 1T, Roamio Pro and the TiVo Mini)." https://www.tivo.com/secondchancelifetimesale#/secondchancelifetimesale

Any suggestion for setting up a remote short cut to turn Closed Caption on & off?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Drew1990, Feb 21, 2011.

1. Drew1990

Drew1990 New Member

Jun 15, 2009
    It currently takes six menu steps to turn the Closed Caption feature on and off. THEN you have to navigate BACK to the program you were watching.

A shorter method is to click on "info" while watching a program, then cursor down to the CC button, to turn it on & off.

It would be even sweeter if there were a way to program a "hot" button on the remote to turn the CC feature on & off, with one click.

Anybody crack that code yet?

2. curiousgeorge

curiousgeorge New Member

Nov 28, 2002
    Our remotes have macros. Makes this kind of thing easy to put on a single button. Look into Universal Remote Control Home Theater Master series. We have the MX-500 and the MX-3000. The MX-3000 is the beast with ridiculous macro-ing ability.

3. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    There is a feature in the Network Remote Control feature,

Telnet to your Tivo using something like the Windows Telnet.com program. (Be sure to have Network Remote Control turned on, on the Tivo)

(Open a session) O Tivo's IP 31339

(Copy/Paste this command) IRCODE CC_ON
    (to turn off) IRCODE CC_OFF

(To close the session) Press Ctrl-], then C. (Hit Q to close program)

I say copy and paste because otherwise you would need extremely fast typist to type in commands or it will time out before you can complete it.

Source: TiVo UI Control via Telnet - No Hacking Required!

4. curiousgeorge

curiousgeorge New Member

Nov 28, 2002
    So if there's an IR code for CC on and for CC off, what are the values for each? I can program them into my MX-3000 to send those codes and see if it is the true shortcut!

5. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    No, those were commands you enter into the Telnet window and it functions as if it was a remote.

6. curiousgeorge

curiousgeorge New Member

Nov 28, 2002
    I understand those are telnet commands, but I'm wondering if the CC_ON and CC_OFF values internally are the same as a remote command being issued.

7. davidcarey

davidcarey New Member

Aug 11, 2001
    St. Louis, MO
    ========================

Press right arrow (it rotates thru 3 states) until you have the show description. on the right side of the box there are several options. The bottom one is "CC". Press down arrow to "CC", select will toggle CC selection. Then press left arrow or simply wait for the overlay to time out and you will be back to watching whatever you were before.

I usually hit pause first because I'm turning on CC to try to pickup something I didn't understand and the next step is to back up far enough to get the CC info.

I only recently discovered this option, I'm not sure how long it has been around. I'd like to think that it is fairly new and I haven't been going the long way around for no reason. :)

Regards,

David

8. tattube

tattube Member

Oct 23, 2010
    This is not that much shorter, if at all.
    This is still a good number of button presses, compared to just one from the TV remote....which, unforunately no longer works.

A programmed button on the tivo remote would be nice

9. curiousgeorge

curiousgeorge New Member

Nov 28, 2002
    There used to be a CC button? Which TiVo remote had it?

10. PedjaR

PedjaR Member

Jan 4, 2010
    Cary, NC
    Apparently Virgin Tivo has it.Wonder if a learning remote can get it and use it in U.S.

11. curiousgeorge

curiousgeorge New Member

Nov 28, 2002
    If telnet has access to the variables with the IR code in it, I bet it's there. We just need the right IR code to manually enter it in our learning remotes.

Found a picture of the Virgin version:

http://www.virginmedia.com/images/tivo-remote.jpg

Definitely has a "subtitle" button on the upper right.

12. sangahm

sangahm New Member

Nov 28, 2010
    What are the codes for CC?

13. curiousgeorge

curiousgeorge New Member

Nov 28, 2002
    That's what I've been asking. No one seems to know. I guess we can wait for the UK Virgin Media TiVo launch and ask someone to upload them from that TiVo remote.

14. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    Just because there's a network remote "IRCODE", that doesn't mean that there's a real corresponding IR code. In this case, I would wager that there isn't. In fact there are a bunch of IRCODE commands that have no corresponding real IR codes, like the alphabet keys. (At least, we can infer that there are no IR codes for these, from the fact that on the Slide, they only work in Bluetooth mode.)

I doubt that the Virgin subtitle button corresponds to IRCODE CC_ON/OFF -- for one thing, it's a toggle. It might not even be a button to control a TiVo function; it could be like Mute and Vol +/-. But even if it is a TiVo button, I wouldn't expect it to work on U.S. TiVos.

tattube's comment "This is still a good number of button presses, compared to just one from the TV remote....which, unforunately no longer works." refers to a TV with built-in closed-caption decoding, which doesn't work with an HDMI or component connection, where the TV is reduced to a monitor, and decoding the captions is the responsibility of the connected device (in this case, the TiVo). In the old days (Series 1/2), the TiVo couldn't decode the captions, and the TV had to do it.

davidcarey: Instead of cycling through with the right arrow, you can press "Info" once. And you can press "Clear" when done.

ThAbtO: Instead of telnetting, try my network remote. Its "CC" button does IRCODE CC_ON/OFF now.

15. curiousgeorge

curiousgeorge New Member

Nov 28, 2002
    We can debate it all day, but we'll know for sure within about a month or so when the Virgin Media TiVo remote is out.

16. sterlinggold

sterlinggold New Member

Mar 19, 2010
    Did that remote come out? any idea on the CC code? I'm also very annoyed with the current process and would love to have a shortcut.

17. Jobius

Jobius New Member

Oct 17, 2000
    Salvation...
    Over at hifi-remote.com, Alan Richey posted a RemoteMaster file for the new Virgin Media TiVo, but it doesn't resemble other TiVo codes at all, as far as I can tell. Different protocol, different button numbering, different everything. The OBC for the Subtitle is 026, which is used for Thumbs Up on my Series 3. A couple of experts have been trying to help me figure it out there.

18. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    You should ask in the underground forum, or over on deal database. I think the guys with the hacked boxes can actually look at the IR code database and see which codes are available.

Dan

19. HellFish

HellFish I can dress myself.

Jan 28, 2007
    I can confirm the Remote commands for the Virgin Media Tivo do not work the Premiere.

Per a thread for the Harmony in the UK section here (link), I added the CiscoCT8685 to my Harmony Remote.

None of the functions work my Premiere. I did this before Jobius added his comments, but I forgot to post my results.

20. Jobius

Jobius New Member

Oct 17, 2000
    Salvation...
    I ended up using a macro on my remote to toggle CC:

Info, Down, Down, Down, Down, Select, Clear

It's got a couple extra Downs to handle Live TV mode; when watching something from Now Playing you'll hear Bong Bong when it gets to the bottom. Works well enough, though I do wish they'd dedicate an IR code to it. I sent it in as a suggestion when I got my Series 3, like 4 years ago, so obviously I'm not holding my breath.