1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any issues activating and not setting up same day?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by kbmb, Dec 23, 2013.

1. kbmb

kbmb Active Member

Jun 22, 2004
    NH
    Got my parents a couple of Roamio Basic units and a stream for Christmas (shhhh don't tell).

I was going to have them activate them Christmas day at my house online, but then I will be going to their house on Thursday to setup them up (they already have two TivoHD so they have the cards already....they'll just need to get paired again).

Any issues activating and then waiting to setup? Just want to make sure Tivo doesn't de-activate if the box doesn't connect right away.

Thanks.

-Kevin

2. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    I've always purchased directly from Tivo with lifetime activation and they activate at the time of purchase. No, no problem. Once you activate they don't care what you do with it :)

3. kbmb

kbmb Active Member

Jun 22, 2004
    NH
    Cool thanks.

-Kevin

4. dtivouser

dtivouser Tivoless TCF Club

Feb 10, 2004
    SoCal
    I tried to activate mine on a Friday afternoon but the supervisor that had authority to move my subscription had already left for the weekend. So it took until Monday morning for me.

5. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    Yes, you probably should not try to activate on Christmas Day. Do it today.

6. StevesWeb

StevesWeb Grumpy Old Geek

Dec 26, 2008
    Geek Hill,...
    With a TiVo new install it is almost certain an update will be required, so no matter what day you activate it can take several hours from out of box to ready to use with a populated program guide.

You can save time during your visit by doing all of that now. You could then power it up ready to use, this might reduce the new gadget terror some folks experience.

You are very good to your parents!

7. kbmb

kbmb Active Member

Jun 22, 2004
    NH
    No doubt....I just setup my own Basic and had a couple updates to get through. I set aside the entire day on Thursday to get through it all. Just wanted to make sure there wasn't a delay on the activation itself that would cause the initial setup to be delayed.

-Kevin

8. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    I suggest you do not want to set it up at your house. Even if you are both serviced by the same provider, the card needs to be provisioned based upon their account and subscription. But back to your original question - you're fine.

9. kbmb

kbmb Active Member

Jun 22, 2004
    NH
    Thanks everyone.

Happy Holidays!

-Kevin

10. tamathat

tamathat New Member

Sep 11, 2011
    Austin
    another point to note.. the multistream tuner cards they need for roamio may be dif't from the tivohd cards. Double check that too

11. kbmb

kbmb Active Member

Jun 22, 2004
    NH
    They are all set with those....I double checked when I was there at Thanksgiving. Moto M cards with the correct firmware.

-Kevin

12. mchief

mchief Morey

Sep 10, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Kevin, can I adopt you? :D

13. dtivouser

dtivouser Tivoless TCF Club

Feb 10, 2004
    SoCal
    So how did it go, kbmb?

14. kbmb

kbmb Active Member

Jun 22, 2004
    NH
    No problems activating on Christmas day.....got lifetime on both for $399.

Just set everything up.....no issues at all. Thanks to the Comcast CC line....cards re-paired in 10 minutes.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Parents are both very happy with the Roamios!!!

-Kevin