1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any good standalone dvrs out there?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by habibrobert, Nov 16, 2012.

1. habibrobert

habibrobert New Member

Nov 16, 2012
    Hello,

I realize that I probably shouldn't post this on here, since this is a Tivo discussion forum, but if you could point me in the right direction, I will be on my way and out of your hair!

I was wondering if anyone knows of any good stand alone DVR brands? My only problem with Tivo is that I cannot transfer all of my recordings to my computer. Since there is really no way around this, I've decided to see if there are any DVRs out there that do not have this restriction?

I've heard about a DVR company called Moxi, but after looking at their web page, it seems as if their devices do not connect to the computer in the same way that Tivo does. Of course, please correct me if I misunderstood.

So that does seem like a good option. I've googled stand alone DVRs and what I mostly found where DVR systems for security camera systems.

There has got to be a HD stand alone DVR out there that allows you to transfer all of your recordings to the computer. Does anyone know what the name of the brand is?

Many Thanks, and once again sorry for posting this question on there, I really don't know where else to post.

2. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    Except MS Media Center (not an easy setup or operation as TiVo) is the only option i know of as all DVRs must use cable cards unless you are only using OTA than coping would not be any problem with any TiVo.

3. Worf

Worf Active Member

Sep 15, 2000
    Well, there's always a Series 2 TiVo. The basic way is to use the analog hole - so any DVR that captures the component output of a set top box would naturally strip off the copy protection.

Another method is to get a capture card that can use a set top box like an Hauppage HD-PVR and Windows Media Center - the files record straight to the computer. You don't want the cablecard tuner as WMC will DRM-protect it in that case.

NB: You can always use the HD-PVR to transfer recordings to the PC, even without WMC.

edit: As you can't use a cablecard solution, you need to use a settop box to decode your digital cable channel.

Though, if you possibly can get it working, firewire from your cablebox might work..

4. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    If you cannot transfer some or all of the recordings, its mainly the cable card that is setting the copy protection flags on authority from the cable company.

If you can add on an antenna, since there is no copy protection, you can transfer all you want. On the other hand, OTA may not supply the channels you wanted.

5. igirl

igirl Tivo and EyeTV User

Feb 5, 2011
    Sarasota, FL
    I don't understand this - there are several ways to transfer recordings to computer from TiVo. Tivo Transfer, iTivo, KMTTG to name just a few.

But assuming none of these things exist. Way not just go to a full computer based DVR system instead like EyeTV?

6. shwru980r

shwru980r Active Member

Jun 22, 2008
    I thought the cable company wasn't allowed to put copy protection on the Broadcast channels.

7. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    Buy a hacked Series3 unit and transfer anything you want. Or record from OTA channels.

8. lrhorer

lrhorer New Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    Yeah, TiVo.

I'm afraid you are not being entirely clear.

1. Do you currently own a TiVo, and if so, what model?
    2. Is this statement based upon your own experience, or what you have read or been told?
    3. Who is your CATV provider?

It sounds like you are talking about copy protected digital video streams from a CATV provider. Copy protection of digital video streams (known as CCI) is placed on some number of non-OTA broadcast channels by many CATV providers. Some only protect a few channels, while others set the CCI byte on everything they legally can.

Every CableLabs certified DVR must comply with their requirements and refuse to allow copying to any other device any video whose CCI byte is greater than 0x00. If the device is not CableLabs certified, then no CATV company in the U.S. will allow it to be attached to their system or to have a CableCard installed. Thus, it would make no sense for any manufacturer to build a DVR that would ignore the CCI byte.

Modifying a Series III class TiVo (not a Premiere) can circumvent this restriction. I don't know about the Moxi, but they are belly up (in terms of a consumer DVR, anyway), in any case.

Why would there have to be? CableLabs regs have no force of law, but since no CATV system will allow a DVR to be attached to the cable or allow the CableCard to be installed, what would be the point of trying to manufacture one?

9. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    There really doesn't have to be, and AFAIK, there isn't (unless maybe you count an OTA-only device).

What you can do, though, is to get a video capture device for your computer that will allow you to grab the analog or HDMI output from the TiVo, and reencode it. This inevitably loses some quality, but maybe not that much, and nowadays you can do this in HD. (Disclaimer: I personally have not used this type of capture device since the bad old days of analog SD.)

10. habibrobert

habibrobert New Member

Nov 16, 2012
    Irhorer,

Thanks very much for your post.

I have a TV Series 4. And my cable provider is Comcast. And yes, I am having a great deal of trouble with CCI. I feel like I can't transfer any shows to my computer!

I would consider getting a hacked Tivo three, but the thing is I don't no where to look for one. Ebay doesn't seem to have one, at least not recently.

I've been doing some readings on the internet lately about PROM modifications on the Tivo Series 3 (I have been told that it is impossible on the series 4), it seems quite complicated for someone who has no background in software and extensive soldering skills. But I know there are people out there who do it for the average person, I've emailed two of them, Omikron, and cartouchbea. Neither have replied to me yet. I don't know if they are swamped with their work, or if they are no longer offering their services. If there are other people who offer this type of service, please refer me to them!

Furthermore, it seems as if there just getting the PROM hack is just half the battle. Then, you need to deal with the software modifications which will allow you to freely extract movies and shows onto your computer.

If I'm lucky, I could get the PROM soldered on with a few months of practice, but the software part, I just am clueless. There really is no clear explanation out there on the forums on how to do get the extraction after the PROM modification has been made. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I really haven't found any information on anything you can do after you have modified the TIVO.

I suppose that most of the people who are writing in these forums are much more fluent in the TIVO language than I and therefore some of my concerns are so fundamental that they are already implied by everyone out there.

If I had the time to go out there and learn how the TIVO software works, I would do it in a heartbeat. I just would like some help on what you do after the TIVO hack has been done and if someone does that for the average newbie hacker? I know that we should all learn how to do it ourselves because it takes away from the joy of it all if someone else did it for us (and I truly believe that). But I am software challenged and just don't know what else to do!

11. lrhorer

lrhorer New Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    That is lrhorer, if you please, not irhorer.

That is one reason, among several, why I do not recommend purchasing the Premiere line of TiVos. There is no work-around. That said, Comcast is not anywhere nearly as aggressive as Time Warner or Brighthouse in setting the CCI byte.

Well, yeah, few people want to get rid of them. I think if you want one you will need to buy an un-modified S3 class box and modify it.

It is, and you need to take this to the "other" forum.

It does not take months to learn to solder. Removing a soldered component is a bit more difficult, but there are methods for that, too. Chipquik is one solution. It does take a little practice, though.

12. shwru980r

shwru980r Active Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Chances are the programming you're looking to copy will be available to stream on line from sources like neflix, amazon, hulu or other web sites. It doesn't make sense to copy programming to your computer, when you could just stream them on demand.

13. habibrobert

habibrobert New Member

Nov 16, 2012
    Well guys, thanks for all the great information! I really appreciate your guidance and I will try and see if I can figure out how this all works. Thanks again!

14. lillevig

lillevig Hot in West Texas

Dec 6, 2010
    San Angelo, TX
    The problem is not with the SW availability it's with the CCI byte being set to 0x02 on channels so that you cannot copy the shows from the Tivo. The Premiere boxes at least let you stream between them even with copy protected shows. Transfers won't work, however. Generally, this is only a problem with digital (SD or HD) channels and not the analog versions. In my case, the HD versions of a few channels (like SyFy and USA) mysteriously got set for copy protection but the digital SD versions and the analog SD versions are not copy protected.

15. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    The OP is asking if there is a TiVo like DVR that will use cable cards to get all the HD cable channels the OP is paying for, but will not have any copy protection, the answer is a simple no, we can tell him all the reasons in the world why the answer is no but that will not give the OP what he wants, at this point he can't get what he wants and probably will never get what he wants, as far as i know no hacker has broken the digital code that cable co.s use so no one could even purchase a black digital cable box that can all the HD cable stations for free. (in the old analog days such black boxes were sold and did work)

16. lrhorer

lrhorer New Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    Not quite true. There is no commercially available, off-the-shelf unit that can do it. That is not the same as saying no such unit exists.

Not true at all.

True, but not relevant. He is not attempting to steal CATV programming.

17. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    OK

18. lrhorer

lrhorer New Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    I think you messed up your quotes. You have your text looking as if it was quoted from me. I would appreciate if you would fix it.

No I am not talking about professional recording gear. (It probbably does not employ CableCards, and is not attached to a CATV company's consumer feed.) I am saying there is no box the OP can go to a BestBuy and purchase to use right off the shelf, without modification.

A box that does what the OP wants is perfectly feasible. I have three of them, and they did not require unlimited $$. They are all three TiVos. The fourth TiVo I have does not belong to me, and in any case is a Premiere, so it cannot.

19. lrhorer

lrhorer New Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    Oh, yes, it does. First of all, the quality of streaming content is generally quite poor. Secondly, depending upon one's broadband provider, the connection may be quite poor. In many people's case, they don't even have broadband, or only have a few hundred K of bandwidth available. Thirdly, many titles are NOT available via streaming. Indeed, almost none of the titles in which I would be interested in downloading are available, and certainly not in HD, and definitely not in acceptable quality.

20. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I could be smeeking here, but there is an HD capture card called the HDPVR which you can install in a HTPC and use to capture from an HD cable box via analog, component, outputs. I'm pretty sure it bypasses all of the copy protection issues. We have lots of Canadian users that use them because they have no equivalent to CableCARD up there.

Dan