1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any chance of getting a $6.95/month rate for a Premiere

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by buscuitboy, Oct 19, 2012.

1. buscuitboy

buscuitboy Member

Aug 8, 2005
    Atlanta area
    I currently have a Premiere with a MSD rate of $12.95/month. I'm committed till about April, 2013. Lately, Comcast has been making it harder and harder to own a Tivo on their network as their cable card prices have gone up to a point where it would be about $20/month PER Tivo.

I also know about the future 'minis' and am waiting to see what they have to offer when they are released as this could help keep my Comcast bill at bay (potentially one cable card for whole house), but is there any chance of getting a $6.95/month rate once my initial commitment is up? This would go a long way in me maybe keeping this Premiere if needed and/or the minis aren't a viable option.

Not sure if this matters, but I already have an S2, S3 (OLED), and Premiere on my account that ALL have lifetime subscriptions on them.

2. Teeps

Teeps Active Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    To answer the title question: probably not. But call TiVo support and ask them the question, all they can say is no.

Far as comcast screwing cable card users, is FIOS an option in your area?

3. lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    About all I can recommend is to wait until the subscription is about to run out and then call Tivo and threaten to cancel. They may offer either a reduced monthly rate or a reduced lifetime rate.

4. buscuitboy

buscuitboy Member

Aug 8, 2005
    Atlanta area
    Trust me, I HIGHLY wish FIOS was an option. Instead, AT&T UVerse is the phone company equivalent alternative for my area (Atlanta) & unfortunately, we all know TiVos don't work with this system.

I have a family member who lives in the Charleston, SC area and they have the RARE opportunity of being able to choose between Knology and Comcast for their internet/TV/phone service. I also have a family member in the northern Florida area who can choose between Brighthouse or Earthlink for JUST their high speed internet service.

I have always wished the FCC would step in somehow and make cable companies "share" their infrastructure so it would then allow others to come into the area and offer similar services. Therefore, creating more competition and hopefully making prices stay lower. That of course is a PIPE DREAM

That being said, I wonder how this option is available in some areas (like Charleston, SC & N. FL), but not others. I know these two areas are the extreme exception to the rule and probably make up less than 5% of the way it is all over the country, but it sure would be nice to have these options.

5. Teeps

Teeps Active Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...

FIOS is not an option in my neighborhood either.
    I asked Verizon why FIOS was not available on my street. Verizon said because Att held the area. And, that there were no plans to install the necessary infrastructure to compete with Att.

Painfully I know about incompatibility of TiVo with uverse.

6. Ed_Hunt

Ed_Hunt Pokerpro

Jan 2, 2004
    Patterson,...
    Its up to your city council as to who can come into your town, they are the ones who make the deals to keep other options out. So if Comcast says we will pay you $x to be the only option the council takes that money and no one else can come in. Our democracy at work.

7. buscuitboy

buscuitboy Member

Aug 8, 2005
    Atlanta area
    Makes sense and why am I not surprised at that nonsense :( Also why I wish the FCC would maybe step in here too. Again, a PIPE DREAM.