1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Antenna only works when checking Antenna Signal Strength

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by dougitect, Jun 14, 2014.

1. dougitect

dougitect New Member

Jul 5, 2012
    I am new to TiVo. I'm trying to get it to work with OTA channels.

I bought a used Premiere (Series 4) and an indoor style antenna (and a new TV). The antenna is a Mohu. I've tried it with and without the amplifier on and it seems to work best for me (in an urban area) without it.

When I hook up the antenna directly to the TV I get the big four OTA channels fine. When I hook up the antenna to the TiVo, nothing. Just the message "Searching for a signal on this channel. (V52) Press Select for help."

The strange thing to me is: if I then go into the Settings & Messages>Channels...Antenna Signal Strength I can get the big four channels pretty well. If I can watch them in this mode, why don't they come in when watching normally?

Thank you for any tips!
    Doug

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Have you gone through Guided Setup with the antenna connected in the Antenna Coax input? I also assume this is a 2 tuner Premiere because that is the only Premiere models which accepts Antenna.

3. dougitect

dougitect New Member

Jul 5, 2012
    Yes, I went through the guided setup a few times, trying to get better results. And yes, it has the ability to have both a cable provider and an antenna connected at the same time.

Any ideas on what I should try next? Thank you.

4. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Are you entering the channel number directly from the remote's number pad or using the channel up, channel down button?

Do you enter it

1 2 ->| 1

(with

->|

being the little button slightly north of the "3" button)

in order to get channel 12.1 or 12-1?

5. poppagene

poppagene User

Dec 29, 2001
    Or go to the channel guide and access the channel through the its guide listing

6. dougitect

dougitect New Member

Jul 5, 2012
    That seems to have done the trick. How simple! I guess I had been just punching in single channel numbers on the number pad like "5" versus "5.1".

Thank you for your quick and brilliant help!

7. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    You had not mentioned anything about channel changing, so you could get some totally different responses.

8. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If you put in, for instance, just a "5", it goes looking for a cable channel 5.

Now that over the air is digital, and stations can do the sub-channel thing, you have to be specific that you want 5.1, even if there is no 5.2, 5.3, etc.

9. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    And that is such an annoying thing about TiVo. It would be nice if we could have the option in the Channels menu to select "Digital OTA Only" so that we could press just 5 and it would tune to 5.1 just like many HDTV's do. Sometimes I can't hit the <- fast enough and I get sent to the analog channel with NO video and the pain of having to attempt to punch 5.1 again. That would be a nice software upgrade for at least the Roamios, TiVo.

10. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    When you went through Guided Setup, did you tell it you have antenna only, and not cable?

11. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    That does not matter since Tivo will switch to a non-existent channel when you enter a number like 1-1 or just 1, as well as an existent channel like 5-1 or 5.

An easier way to go to a channel is to just press Guide or Select and just scroll down to whatever channel you are seeking.

12. dougitect

dougitect New Member

Jul 5, 2012
    Great tip. Thanks!

13. poppagene

poppagene User

Dec 29, 2001
    Isn't that what I suggested?

14. nooneuknow

nooneuknow TiVo User Since 2007

Feb 5, 2011
    Cox Cable...
    This can sometimes be a matter of the lineup having the mappings wrong.

Sometimes the way a problem is described, leaves things open to interpretation/assumption. This thread seems like one such example.

Cablecards are easier to find this on. No matter what you tell guided setup, the cablecard is fed it's own channel map by the cable provider, which will always be correct, unless the provider has a misconfiguration in their mappings.

When using "test channels using M-Card" through the TiVo, the TiVo's channel mappings & guide data are completely bypassed, and every channel tested is mapped solely by the cablecard's mappings.

Any time the "test channels" option under DVR Diags is providing working channels, but normal operation does not, it points straight to the lineup/guide data being wrong (or having something wrong with it, even corruption of it).

Sometimes you will have to use a neighboring zip code that should receive the same channels as yours when this happens. The other zip code may have been updated, while the correct one (your zip code) has not yet been updated. It does happen, even with OTA lineups.