1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Antenna on the second floor, TiVo on the first

Discussion in 'TiVo Suggestion Avenue' started by Traal, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Traal

Traal The Sane

Jul 8, 2002
    San Diego
    I don't have structured wiring in my 2-story home. For best reception, my TV antenna needs to be on the second floor, which means my TiVo also has to be on the second floor. But then I can't watch TV on the first floor without paying a monthly fee for TiVo Mini, which goes against the reason I stopped paying for cable.

So TiVo Mini needs to be subscription-free, at least for the first one on an account. Or TiVo needs something like HDHomeRun to separate the tuner from the base unit.

Edit: I have coax to both floors from the cable company, so a solution that uses MoCA or even ethernet would work for me, just not one that requires me to plug my antenna directly into the cable outlet.

2. jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    Why can't you backfeed the antenna into the cable?

3. Traal

Traal The Sane

Jul 8, 2002
    San Diego
    Because I don't want my antenna broadcasting my MoCA signal.

4. Davelnlr_

Davelnlr_ Member

Jan 12, 2011
    North...
    Unless your neighbor has a high gain amplified antenna pointed directly at your house, I dont think you need to worry about that. If you are, you can buy a Moca notch filter.

5. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    You realize you can make a Mini "subscription free" by paying $150 for lifetime service right?

6. Traal

Traal The Sane

Jul 8, 2002
    San Diego
    That may work.

How much more expensive is a TiVo Mini plus lifetime service than a MoCA notch filter?

7. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    A LOT.

But the advantage of the Mini is that you can watch TV in both locations at the same time if you wanted.

Also are you sure you can bind the OTA and cable signals into a single coax without interference? Even though they use different muxing techniques (QAM vs ATSC) they still use the same frequencies. I'm not an expert on this though, so there may be equipment that allows it.

8. janry

janry New Member

Jan 2, 2003
    Nashville, TN