1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another one bites the dust...

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by danplaysbass, Apr 12, 2012.

1. danplaysbass

danplaysbass I watch too much TV.

Jul 19, 2004
    Philadelphia
    So I've been on here as of late discussing ongoing problems with my S3 OLED unit. For a while I was having issues where only a single tuner was working. I was having issues with my SDV channels (TWC Kansas City) and now the unit will simply not record anything and is pretty much in a constant reboot cycle.

I believe I was experiencing multiple problems and started tackling them. I went through the power supply refurbishment and replaced all the capacitors on the unit and it is now working perfectly. I'm just now worried that the hard drive is failing (which would explain the constant rebooting, right?). I've read some of the threads on HD imaging and replacement but here is my predicament. The cheapest WD Green HD at 500 GB I have seen is $85 on Newegg. I can buy a new TiVo Premiere online at various places for ~$80. Is there any reason to keep dumping money into this S3?

I'm not one to backlog a ton of shows so the standard recording capacity is fine for me.

BTW, if I end up getting a new one I'll sell my newly refurbished power supply to anybody who doesn't want to do it themselves.

2. uw69

uw69 Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Washington
    Unless you have lifetime on the S3 I think it's difficult to make a compelling case. I love the OLED S3's, have several of them, but the two tuner Premiere's are a reasonable choice for non-lifetimed upgrade.

3. danplaysbass

Jul 19, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Ya, its not a lifetime otherwise it would be a different story. Plus I'm paying extra for that 2nd cablecard which I wouldn't need with a premiere...

4. Joe01880

Joe01880 I love my TiVo

Feb 8, 2009
    Boston
    Set it aside and wait for HD's to come down and use it for OTA on a spare TV in a guest room or something and get the Premiere. You can maybe find a Premiere with lifetime on it for a fair price somewhere.

5. Teeps

Teeps Active Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...

Only problem with this is you still have to pay the TiVo sub fee to make it work.

6. shwru980r

shwru980r Active Member

Jun 22, 2008
    The monthly fee for a premiere is $14.99 with a one year commitment, while the monthly fee for the S3 is $12.95 with no commitment.

7. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    If he pays full price for the Premiere box, it's possible that TiVo will transfer the $12.95 sub from the S3 to the Premiere.

8. pmiranda

pmiranda Member

Feb 12, 2003
    Austin, TX
    He should be able to get the multi-subscriber discount on the Premiere. If he lifetimes then he can drop the S3 later and he's golden (I think).

9. Joe01880

Joe01880 I love my TiVo

Feb 8, 2009
    Boston
    I would think if the OP calls to cancel the S3 TiVo will come up with a good plan to keep getting his money. Never hurts to try, he can always change his mind and not cancel.

10. shwru980r

shwru980r Active Member

Jun 22, 2008
    If the qualifying Tivo ceases to connect for 180 days, then I think the OP would lose the discounted rate.

11. shwru980r

shwru980r Active Member

Jun 22, 2008
    According to the Tivo web site, it's $19.99 per month for a full price premiere but there is no commitment, and the full price is $299. It's much cheaper to get the $99 box with the $14.99 per month plan with a one year commitment.

12. shwru980r

shwru980r Active Member

Jun 22, 2008
    You could probably find a cheap Tivo HD on Craig's List or Ebay. Then you would only need one cable card and could keep the cheaper rate with no commitment.

13. danplaysbass

Jul 19, 2004
    Philadelphia
    This is what I'm hoping for. I used to get the MSD for $7. I'm still evaluating my options.

14. L David Matheny

L David Matheny Active Member

Jan 29, 2011
    SE Ohio
    Would the MSD discounted rate be lost permanently after the 180 days? That's what I thought after reading TiVo's terms. But then somebody suggested that if the qualifying TiVo is reconnected, it would then be active and "qualifying" again. So which is correct? The latter would seem to be fairer.

15. shwru980r

shwru980r Active Member

Jun 22, 2008
    I think you would get the currently published MSD rate again when you reconnected the qualifying Tivo. I'm not sure they would restore the $6.95 rate, since they don't offer that rate anymore.