1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another new Set-Top Box?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by news4me2, Oct 1, 2012.

1. news4me2

news4me2 Member

Jul 10, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I got an email from DVDFab announcing they are working on a new STB. No real details were provided on what it will offer, but they were soliciting interest from their software customers about some potential features. More details can be found here: http://www.dvdfab.com/newsletter/newsletter-120929g-en.html

2. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    I got that also, but I don't think it has anything to do with their (DVD/ BD) movie copy software and with many new HDTVs having Internet built in I think all these "other" set top boxes will go away (except gaming type boxes).

3. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Active Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    That is the conclusion I have come to. Streaming is basically being built into everything sooner or later there will be no need for stand alone streaming devices. The question I have is what else will "converge" we basically have the following:
    1. Video display devices
    2. Sound reproduction devices (amplifiers and speakers)
    3. "Computer" or software playing devices (devices for using various software/apps, playing digital media, etc.)
    4. Tuners (AM/FM, SirrusXM, OTA, Cable, Dish, Direct, etc.)
    5. Gaming devices
    6. Solid digital media players/recorders (currently CD, DVD & Blu-ray)
    7. Internet Access devices - including access to: The General Internet, Specific streaming services, and Cloud digital media storage.
    8. Local DVR devices
    9. Local digital media storage devices
    10. LAN & WAN devices (modems, routers, switches, Ethernet/WiFi/4G connection devices, etc,)
    All of the above are being combined in various ways now - it will be interesting to see where it goes from here.

It seems like quality and cost containment would be pushing convergence in different ways.

Where do other people think we are heading?

4. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I think no matter what you will need multiple devices if you want to get the best features. Since even if they combine everything into one device, it won't do everything well. There will always be other devices that do certain things better.

5. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Since there's no mention of DVR functionality, it's not really competition.

6. MeInDallas

MeInDallas Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Dallas, Texas
    Sounded to me like they are aiming at something like a Roku or a WD TV Live box. Neither of which would interest me.

7. MichaelK

MichaelK New Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ
    I'd forgo being best at some things to get a unified UI and a single remote. Not sure I'd be a rarity either. So there's plenty of market for "does most things good enough". Most people probably have one thing they thing is most important and would be willing to skimp on others to get "one box".

I've always dreamed of TV's coming with expansion slots like a PC and you could slap in a TiVO card, an Xbox card, a bluray card, etc. When a better DVR comes along pull the card out and slap in another.

Baring that- I thought maybe HDMI with CEC would get me my one remote dream- that seems a mess too.

Even if i had to get locked into one brand I'd prefer an integrated solution.

8. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT

Integrated solutions are wife/girlfriend friendly (at least for people over 50).