1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another Netflix won't launch on Tivo HD problem

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by rvmeush, Dec 26, 2013.

1. rvmeush

rvmeush New Member

Dec 24, 2001
    Columbia, MD
    I have a Tivo HD which I recently connected to a Comcast ethernet connection from the old telephone connection I used. I've been trying to get Netflix to work on this device but the application fails to launch properly - it just returns to the Netflix folder in the Now Playing List.

My s/w version is 11.0k. A relative of mine has a Tivo HD on Verizon running 11.0k and the Netflix works properly on his unit.

I called Tivo for assistance but they said they can't find anything wrong and told me the Tivo HD was most likely defective.

I just saw another thread where someone said that Netflix on his Tivo HD started to work properly when his s/w was updated to 11.0m. I tried to force an update to 11.0m on my unit by repeatedly doing a network connection to Tivo, but the software hasn't updated. I called Tivo tech support and they said there was no way they could force my Tivo to go to 11.0m. I'm trying to find out if there is anything else I can try to get Netflix working or to get my software updated to 11.0m?

Thanks

2. jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    I suspect a network issue. Reboot the router/switch/box and see if that is any improvement.

3. rvmeush

rvmeush New Member

Dec 24, 2001
    Columbia, MD
    I have done reboots on the router and the Tivo with no improvement.

4. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Are you saying that you're using telephone wiring (Cat3 at best) instead of a Cat5, 5e, or 6 Ethernet cable?

And not just making a cable out of some old phone wire you had lying around but actually using already installed phone wiring that disappears into the wall and is paralleled with runs to who knows how many other phone jacks, i.e, interference receiving antennas?

5. rvmeush

rvmeush New Member

Dec 24, 2001
    Columbia, MD
    the ethernet connection from the Tivo to the Comcast modem uses a proper ethernet cable.

6. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    So where does this "old telephone connection" come into the picture?

7. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Oh, did you mean that the TiVo used to make the daily call over the phone line instead of over the internet?

8. jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    Did you re-run guided set up?

9. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Did you go to Settings & Messages .... To Phone & Network

There is an option there, "Use Network instead", after that's selected, it should say "Use Phone Instead."

The network cable should be going to a router and then modem and not directly to the cable modem.

10. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Technically, if the Tivo is the only thing that needs the internet, you can connect it directly to the modem. ;)