1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another DTA Question...

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by SOCATivo, Nov 1, 2013.

1. SOCATivo

SOCATivo New Member

Jan 2, 2002
    RSM, CA
    Well, 2, really...

This is the text on the TiVo website today:
    TiVo Roamio DVRs allow for dynamic tuner allocation, so the tuner is only used when the Mini needs it and is released back to the DVR for use when the TiVo Mini isn’t in use. TiVo Premiere DVRs do NOT support dynamic tuner allocation, so any Mini connected to a Premiere is allocated a constantly dedicated tuner and therefore reduces the tuners available for the Premiere DVR.

I thought that DTA was going to include Premiers? (I have an XL4). So, it doesn't, will adding a Mini turn my XL4 permanently into a 3 tuner system?

Next question (same really, just rephrased), if I don't ever want to use my Mini for live TV, will it still turn my XL4 into an XL3?

Thanks,

Confused in CA.

2. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    The new update for the Premiere line adds DTA.

3. SOCATivo

SOCATivo New Member

Jan 2, 2002
    RSM, CA
    So I will not lose a tuner?

(I am so jealous of your NAS!)

4. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    No. And you don't "have" to lose a tuner even before the update. In the current software you can turn the tuner allocation off and you simply wont be able to watch live TV on the Mini. You'll still have full access to My Shows and if you really want to watch something "live" you can just start recording it and then watch it from My Shows. (that's the poor man's DTA)

5. SOCATivo

SOCATivo New Member

Jan 2, 2002
    RSM, CA
    Thanks guys. I think it's time to try it out...