1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Annoying advertising bar

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by urbanbye, May 9, 2014.

1. May 9, 2014 #1 of 19
    urbanbye

urbanbye New Member

May 9, 2014
    Is there any way to get rid of the annoying advertising bar that keeps popping on my screen when using Tivo? I do not care about upcoming "Mother's Day Deals" or the next episode of "24"

I should not have to see in your face advertising like this on a fee based service! I want to disable it.

Directv does not do this, nor does Comcast

2. May 9, 2014 #2 of 19
    dianebrat

dianebrat I refuse to accept your reality TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
  3. May 9, 2014 #3 of 19
    bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    Are you talking about the TiVo discovery bar:

[​IMG]

Or the TiVo advertising:

[​IMG]

BTW, Direct TV and Comcast have been doing ads in their guide data for years - I appreciate that TiVo has never done this.

4. May 9, 2014 #4 of 19
    LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    FWIW, at least on the Roamio as of the spring update, the ads now look more like:
    [​IMG]

5. May 9, 2014 #5 of 19
    stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    DirecTV never puts ads over the program, but TiVo has a marketing feature where advertisers can superimpose ads at specific points in a program. That's what LoadStar is showing.

6. May 9, 2014 #6 of 19
    LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    No. Both the image that I quoted, and the image I posted, are the same thing - a pause ad. They only show up when the TiVo is paused. They've just recently changed the way they display. The version I quoted was an earlier format, and the one I posted (well, linked to from another user) is the current format.

In theory, TiVo may have the ability to superimpose ads over the programming, but I've never seen them do so (nor seen them talk about doing so). The closest I've seen them come is having them superimpose a still ad over the screen when you FF over that particular advertiser's commercial.

The only time a TiVo superimposes anything over "specific points" is when the "Thumbs up to record" shows up over certain participating network program ads.

7. May 9, 2014 #7 of 19
    bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    I like the new version a lot better, but frankly I barely even noticed the change - if it does bother you, it can minimize the impact of these pause adds with the spss code...

At least TiVo doesn't put advertisements in the grid like all the other providers!

8. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Yet.

9. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I just found a show last night from the Discovery Bar. That I would have otherwise never seen. The Discovery bar has come in handy for me many times over the years. It's exposed me to content I otherwise would have probably never seen.

10. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Still useless for me, but hey there's another Bounty ad! :rolleyes:

11. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I've received a couple of coupons from this. I just gave them to my GF since she uses Bounty.

12. NYHeel

NYHeel Active Member

Oct 7, 2003
    The ads on the Tivo have never bothered me at all as they've never impacted how I watch TV in any way. I don't care about pause ads because the screen is paused. If I want to see something on the screen when I pause then I'm going to hit clear anyway to remove the progress bar.

With that said, I can see ads in the guide being kind of annoying. Hopefully Tivo doesn't go that route.

13. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    To be fair, years ago, TiVo did try superimposing images when trying to fast forward past commercials for certain partners. However, that experiment didn't seem to last long due to customer backlash.

14. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    As I noted in the very next sentence after the one you quoted. ;)

15. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Yes, I know. But you said they didn't. I just wanted to point out that they actually have superimposed ads over content in the past. But afaik, it didn't last long.

16. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    They have a feature that can superimpose ads over video while FFing, but I don't think they've ever really used it outside of a few test cases. I do still occasionally see the "press thumbs up to recode" feature used on trailers for new shows, but those are pretty rare and not that intrusive.

17. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Well, I clarified that they've never done so over programming. I don't consider advertisements programming.

18. HarperVision

HarperVision TiVo's Italian Cuz!

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
  19. tenthplanet

tenthplanet Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Likewise, it also alerts me to new offerings on Netflix and Hulu Plus.