1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Android Support?

Discussion in 'TiVo Stream' started by PrimeRisk, Sep 13, 2012.

1. PrimeRisk

PrimeRisk TechnoGeek

Dec 16, 2002
    Denver, CO...
    Has anyone heard anything about Android device support? Our house has one iPad, but 5 Android Pads and 2 Android phones. I'm not sure I'd buy a Stream without knowing when Android support would be coming. (I know the trades all say that Android support is coming, but the sun will burn out eventually too)

2. hefe

hefe Rebus Philbin

Dec 5, 2000
    CO via Chi-town
    I've been looking...nothing definitive. I only heard that it's "coming" as well.

3. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    According to the system information page the Stream uses encrypted HLS. From what I can tell that's an Apple only technology. I wonder how they plan to make this work on Android?

Dan

4. hefe

hefe Rebus Philbin

Dec 5, 2000
    CO via Chi-town
    Android has supported HLS since the Honeycomb release.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_Live_Streaming

5. tomm1079

tomm1079 New Member

May 10, 2005
    HLS is pretty common.

I know Android has HLS. It was added with 3.2 or so. My Google TV has HLS enabled.

6. hefe

hefe Rebus Philbin

Dec 5, 2000
    CO via Chi-town
    Apple has submitted it to IETF as a draft standard. This is actually one thing that they aren't keeping proprietary.

7. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I'm not an HLS expert. I just looked it up when I found that page and it seemed to be an Apple technology so I was worried.

I know with TiVo Desktop they kept saying it was coming to Mac, but it never really did because they couldn't setup the same DirectShow type decryption on the Mac that they could on the PC. (it did eventually come, but only as part of a $70 Roxio app)

Dan

8. hefe

hefe Rebus Philbin

Dec 5, 2000
    CO via Chi-town
    Understandable. ;)

9. wtherrell

wtherrell Member

Dec 23, 2004
    Huntersville...
    No Android support? WTH? Only for Apple? Wait and see, then maybe buy one.

"iPhone: Smartphone for Dummies"

10. hefe

hefe Rebus Philbin

Dec 5, 2000
    CO via Chi-town
    It's not all that uncommon for iStuff to come first. It happens.

There's half a billion Android devices out there, so we'll get our app. Hopefully it won't be too long.

11. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    The Stream is targeted mainly at tablet users. (who wants to watch TV on a tiny 4" screen?) And when it comes to tablets 95% of the market belongs to the iPad, so it makes sense that they would target iOS first.

Dan

12. hefe

hefe Rebus Philbin

Dec 5, 2000
    CO via Chi-town
    Absolutely. But with the popularity of the Nexus 7 and I'm sure the new Kindle Fires...there's enough there to motivate Android support. If they waste too much time, I'll be disappointed, but we'll see.

13. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Yeah but this is a project that was conceived almost a year ago, before the Nexus 7 existed and when the original Kindle Fire was a blip at best. That being said I hear from a reliable source they are working on Android support right now, so I don't think it's going to be more then a couple months, at most, before it's added.

In fact based on my poking around, and reading the iPad hacking thread in the underground, it seems to use JSON and HLS for everything (basically HTML5) so they should be able to add support for almost any device relatively easily.

Dan

14. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I just tried out the new Kindle Fire HD. The 1280x800 resolution screen looks much better than the original Fire. It would be nice to be able to use it with the Stream.

15. deaddeeds

deaddeeds Go Hokies

Sep 19, 2008
    Annandale, VA
    Not quite 95%, how about 68%.

Strategy Analytics reported last week that Apple’s share of the global tablet market ticked up to 68% from 62% in the June quarter.
    http://www.bgr.com/2012/08/01/ipad-market-share-q2-2012-android-tablets/

16. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
  17. pteronaut

pteronaut Killer of Threads

Dec 26, 2009
    Of course, when it does appear, it will have to deny access to Rooted devices.

18. lgerbarg

lgerbarg New Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Troy, NY, USA
    The full HLS spec is publicly available and there are a lot of client implementations available. Apple has no interest in dealing with the server side of HLS, so it makes sense for them to do that. Furthermore, one of the large issues that video content providers have is keeping around segments in different formats, so having multiple clients compatible with their container segments (if not the entire spec) is highly desirable to them.

A lot of vendors (Adobe, Microsoft, etc) are not entirely thrilled with HLS because the official spec is fully controlled by Apple, so they have gone off to make a competing standard (MPEG DASH), which is largely the same except for obvious design by committee extensions: "We can't settle on whether to use MPEG2-TS or ISO Base Media File Format for the segments, so lets just make everyone support both! Who cares that no one will use ISO Base Media File Format since it offers no benefits and by using MPEG2-TS we can use the same segments for both HLS and DASH clients and save enormous amounts of money on bandwidth and CDN costs and be compatible with transport streams used for broadcast?"

Full disclosure, the guy who designed HLS and serves as the standard's "Benevolent Dictator" used to be a coworker of mine.

19. deaddeeds

deaddeeds Go Hokies

Sep 19, 2008
    Annandale, VA
  20. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    That article says they expect Androidvto overtake Apple soon. I don't think that's going to happen. The main appeal of Adroid tablets to most people is the price. Geeks like the flexibility, but most people buy an Android tablet because the iPad is too expensive. They don't mind the smaller screen or inferior hardware, the $200 price tag, vs $500 for an iPad, is what seals the deal. However Apple has an answer to that. By all accounts they are going to release an iPad Mini next month with a much more competitive price point. Once Apple is able to compete on price Android adoption is going to slow considerably because most people will just get the Mini instead.

Now there will still be a few manufactures that will cut prices on Android tablets even further to get back in the game, but the quality of the hardware is going to have to be so terrible that they're going to turn out to be junk. The only one that will have a real chance is the Kindle Fire because Amazon can afford to sell it at a loss because they will make it back in consumption of their media services. The rest will have to cut quality to cut prices and that will mean sh*tty hardware that people are not going to enjoy using.

And lets not count MS out of the game. I don't think they're going to make an immediate impact, but they know their core business is on the line here and they are going to come out swinging.

All that being said if TiVo had to choose one OS to develop this thing for first, doesn't it still make sense to choose the one with 65% of the market vs the one with 35%?

Dan