1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Android remote app

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by kevin12345, Aug 16, 2011.

1. kevin12345

kevin12345 New Member

Apr 18, 2010
    Check out TIVO commander. Just found it in the market and it seems like a great remote app for android users.

2. windsurfdog

windsurfdog Hoof Hearted?

May 1, 2009
    Thanks for the heads-up. It does look good. I'll download it tonight to my DX and give it a go.

3. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    Wow! This is fantastic!!! I am extremely impressed with what this program can do on my Xoom. You can browse what it has recorded, play it back, search, set up a recording, and use a live remote that looks exactly like a TiVo remote!

That said, there is a LOT of room for improvement on a tablet with a larger UI. Looks like it is designed primarily with a phone size screen in mind. But it is already a tremendously useful application and I highly encourage all you Android users to check it out!

I am very excited to see how this program will evolve. Drop him a positive note here: http://arantius.com/contact or arantius At gmail.com

4. lafos

lafos Active Member

Nov 7, 2004
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I got it to work for 1 Premiere, but not for the other three. The NP list is for the first one I set up.

I like it, and hope it can be extended to handle multiple Premieres. I use RCX for the other controls.

5. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    This is a first release, I expect people to be flooding him with suggestions for improvements. I am kinda sad you rated it only 3 stars... even with the limitations, it is the best TiVo Android app yet. Plus it is free!

Since it is open source, you programmers out there can contribute, too!

https://github.com/arantius/TiVo-Commander

6. TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    I couldn't get it to work on my premire.

7. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    There are several things you might have to do. You might have to enter the IP address of your TiVO into the app. On my Xoom, I had to add it manually. On my Evo 3D, it somehow found the Premiere automatically.

Then you have to enter your TiVo media access key. If you don't know it, you have to look it up on your TiVo. It is under Media Access Key under Account & System Information under Settings & Messages

You also have to set the TiVo to allow remote access (a setting on the Premiere, if you have not done so yet). It is under "Network Remote Control" under Remote & Device Settings under Settings under Settings & Messages.

Next, you probably can only use the app while your phone or tablet is connected, locally, via WiFi, to the same router that your TiVo is connected to. I don't think this stuff works over the Internet.

Just some things to check!

8. TIVO_GUY_HERE

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    I had all that checked and corrected. I have the other TIVO remote on my phone, and that also wasn't working, so i turned off wifi, and turned it back on again, and all is working. thanks.

9. TIVO_GUY_HERE

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    oh btw. verry cool

10. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    Yep, on some phones or combinations of devices and routers, the WiFi connection can go south, silently. Glad it is working for you and you like it. Drop the guy a nice Email and review :)

11. kevin12345

kevin12345 New Member

Apr 18, 2010
    Working great for me and required no set up. Also had fun messing with my wife. Sorry I have no clue why the tivo is randomly changing channels lol.

12. DonaldBurns65144

DonaldBurns65144 Member

Jan 10, 2011
    USA
    I started a thread some time ago asking for an iPad-like app, ask and thou shall receive. Thank you for making Tivo Commander!

13. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    Don't thank any of us! :)

If you like it, give it a high rating and write a nice review on Google Market and then drop the author a thanks Email!

14. DonaldBurns65144

DonaldBurns65144 Member

Jan 10, 2011
    USA
    Wasn't thanking anyone here - that was a thanks to the maker.

15. lafos

lafos Active Member

Nov 7, 2004
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Sorry that my rating bothers you, but giving 4-5 didn't seem right. If the app develops, there's room for upward movement.

16. akaussie

akaussie Member

Aug 18, 2010
    How long did it take everyone to get the 'My Shows' portion to be populated on the app?
    I haven't been able to get that portion to load yet. I've got the IP and MAK entered, Remote control access in enabled on the TP, I'm able to pull up my recorded shows in KMTTG. I've toggled wifi on my phone a few times, but no luck.
    There are no problems with controlling the TP via the remote portion of the app, so it is communicating.
    Any thoughts from anyone on how to get it to work?

17. DonaldBurns65144

DonaldBurns65144 Member

Jan 10, 2011
    USA
    My Android phone pulls up the "My Shows" list in about 5 seconds.

As an OBTW, the recently deleted list is not available.

18. emeril2k1

emeril2k1 New Member

Sep 9, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    Thank you! That was what I was missing. My Evo 3D was also able to find the IP address automaticaly after setting the remote access correctly.

Looks like a great app so far!

19. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Is there a cost for this application or is it free?

20. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    It is not only free, it is Open Source, and multi-device.