1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Android and video streaming

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by crxssi, Jan 13, 2014.

1. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    I am getting increasingly impatient, frustrated, and annoyed that I cannot stream video from the Roamio (which also means the TiVo Stream) to Android devices, such as my Nexus 10. (I looked for a thread specifically about this and didn't find one) I don't care about OOH (Out Of Home) streaming (at least not yet) but just the ability to watch on my tablet from various places around the house.

It has been something like 1.25 YEARS now, since the Stream was released. Does anyone have any new news about Android support? Was this supposed to be coming in the next update?

2. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    Oops, I did another search across other forums (some I didn't know about) and found there is a Stream forum and this thread specifically: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=501364 Sorry about that.

Synopsis- nothing shown at CES. Nothing announced yet. Nobody knows.

3. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Yes, there's a whole Stream sub-forum which covers this topic ad nauseum, but unfortunately many threads are filled with iOS vs Android rants which get tiresome in a hurry. I actually ended up getting an iPad Air mostly for OOH streaming capability only to find I rarely use OOH streaming or the iPad. A general browser-based client I would find far more useful than either iOS or Android.

4. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    Yeah, that was "my bad".

Yes, that would get extremely tiresome... like after the very first post.

5. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston &...
    Call me your +1. I think we've been more than patient. It's not like this is an obscure product, it's ANDROID.

I can only guess, since TiVo missed CES, that they have significant problems. And can't imagine what they could be.

6. RichieR

RichieR New Member

Dec 19, 2013
    One of these days; I'm hoping to stream on my androids. Frustrating as it is with my girlfriend being able to do this on her iPad while I can't, I still love my Roamio Plus vs my former cable dvr.

As much as I'd like to stream to my Android tablet, I'm so much happier that I've come back to Tivo from cable dvr garbage. Maybe someday Android will get streaming, but until then, I will enjoy what I've got.

Sent from my GT-P7310 using Tapatalk

7. jcthorne

jcthorne Active Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    Slingbox for streaming, kmttg for copying to android device.

With those, there really is no need for the dysfunctional stream. Perhaps someday Tivo will complete that 1/2 baked product. Likely soon after they finish the HD menus on the Premiere.....

8. David Platt

David Platt !Texas TCF Club

Dec 13, 2001
    Portland, OR
    I'm not sure why people keep offering Slingbox as a substitute for OOH streaming. If you live by yourself, sure-- no difference. But it renders the TiVo unusable for anyone else in the family while somebody is using it for Slingbox.

9. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Ya TiVo has pretty much burned this bridge with me. I would have purchased a steam just to see how it worked if they had gotten it to work with Android pretty much anytime last year. But at this point I likely will never bother buying one, out of the home streaming will never be an option for me (have DSL with only 0.36Mbps upload speeds) anyway and I can live with watching TV on my TV.

10. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    You use it on a TiVo Mini or at a location that is not used much. My Slingbox 350 is connected to one of my TiVo Minis. Of course I would prefer to use the built in stream capabilities of my Roamio Pro, but since I have no plans to ever own an Apple tablet, I'll have to continue to wait until I can use my Android tablets. And continue using my Slingbox 350.

11. NYHeel

NYHeel Active Member

Oct 7, 2003
    While kmttg works just fine for downloading and copying, using the Tivo app is definitely much better the full kmttg process, though kmttg is a great program. For one, I can download a show to my ipad when I'm not at home and most importantly the controls on the tivo app are far better than what's available on the stock Apple videos app. Skipping commercials is just like on the TV through the app as you just swipe to 30 second skip and swipe back to 8 second rewind. With the videos app I had to use that terrible slider and attempt to get past the commercials. Really bad way to do that and almost impossible when you're standing on the bus on your commute home.

Hopefully they'll get the streaming/downloading working for Android soon as it works really well, though I rarely ever stream off site. I usually just download for off site viewing as it's hard to keep good LTE signals for long in much of the NYC area, especially when you're moving on a bus. I don't want to get into an Android vs. iOS debate but the Tivo app/Stream was one of the primary reasons I decided to get and iOS tablet over an Android one. It's probably my most used app on my ipad if you don't include the basic core functionality like email and web browsing.

12. patrickthickey

patrickthickey New Member

Sep 4, 2002
    There are too many video CODECs and variables associated with android. I use android, and am perfectly happy with it. I LIKE MY android PHONE.

But, it is not simplistic to support video streaming, even video playing is problematic. I have a Nexus 5, and often it will not play certain videos.

iOS is a closed wall system, a developer can write to a specific set of conditions and it will work across the board, mostly. Certainly far more so than android.

On android, who (generic Nexus, Samsung, etc.) do you choose to support...and worse, which level of android release? As soon as they say "we support android x.xx forward" those who are excluded scream bloody murder.

I wish the developer VP Margaret would send a message and be honest about a timeframe, etc. I suspect most of the forum members would appreciate candor and the honest engineering issues they face.

Not saying it cannot be done, but think how long it took Skype to reliably support android.

13. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    There are a couple of people who have dedicated a Mini to a Slingbox specifically for this reason. Expensive, but effective. Although personally I could never stand the control lag when using a Slingbox. The difference between what you're seeing and what's actually playing on the box is so big that even with 30 second skip navigation is a huge PITA.

14. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    One more potential piece of bad news... Unless TiVo completely changes the protocol or licenses a 3rd party SDK (both unlikely) Android streaming is going to be limited to 4.0+, maybe even 4.2+, devices. The Stream uses a technology called encrypted HLS. HLS support wasn't added to Android until 4.0, and even then was "broken" until 4.2. Apparently there are some workarounds to get it working on 4.0-4.1, so they may be able to get that working, but lower versions would require a 3rd party SDK which might prove to be too expensive for them to license. (depends on the terms, but most SDKs are per-seat)

So all you Android users might still be disappointed when it's released if you have an older devices running an older version of the OS.

On the plus side... Back in July Adobe added encrypted HLS support to Flash, so there is now hope for a browser based interface for PCs.

15. cgould

cgould Member

Dec 28, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    So, Kindle Fire still possible (HD 8.9, newer HD/HDX)-? HD 8.9 (2012) is based on android 4, right? or would this support be missing from Kindle OS?

16. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    Actually that is not much of a problem anymore. All modern Android devices (that would be supported) include hardware decoding for mpeg4/h264/aac. It is a non-issue now. Would have been several years ago, but not anymore. Pretty much any Android 4.X device has all the tools and support needed now. And I don't think anyone expects that ALL Android devices will be supported- that is just not realistic (just like not all iOS devices are supported). As long as there are no ARTIFICIAL limitations (picking "approved" brands or models not based on compatibility, but based on politics or kickbacks or what has been tested) , I am fine with that.

+1

17. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    That sounds good for me then. My cell phone was recently upgraded to Android 4.2.2. And my Nexus 7 is on 4.4.

18. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    The TiVo app supports iOS 5+ which means everything except iPhone 1 & 3 and the first two generations of the iPod Touch. Which means pretty much every device currently still in use.

Because Android is so much more fragmented I'm betting there is a much bigger list of unsupported devices on that side.

19. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    TiVo just updated their iOS app with a new icon yet the entire app is still not optimized for iOS 7. Apple will not even accept the app after Feb 1st if they try to send an update to them for approval. This doesn't bode well for Android support. Honestly, until they hire a different company than the one they currently use for their mobile apps, then their mobile support will continue to be lacking.

20. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I don't know. Depends on how it was branched.