1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

analog tuner

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by gl9500, Jun 8, 2013.

1. Jun 8, 2013 #1 of 39
    gl9500

gl9500 Member

Jul 15, 2003
    chicago
    I have two security camera that feeds thru an RF modulator into my Premiere (antenna input). Until a few days ago, it worked flawlessly. Now when I try to tune those analog channels (4 and 14, if that matters), I get "Searching for signal on this %s channel..."

Any ideas?
    Thanks!

2. Jun 8, 2013 #2 of 39
    moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Take the camera feed directly to a TV with an antenna input to see if there is indeed a signal going through.

3. Jun 8, 2013 #3 of 39
    gl9500

gl9500 Member

Jul 15, 2003
    chicago
    thanks... already verified that. it's definitely the tivo not recognizing the signal. i sent the signal to 2 different TVs just fine.

4. Jun 8, 2013 #4 of 39
    moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Did you get the recent 20.3.1 software update? Maybe that screwed something up.
    Did you visit the Diagnostics page on the TiVo which has tuner information and see if there is anything interesting there? You may have to mess with signal levels either by boosting signal with an amp or attenuating the signal perhaps by going through a splitter. Tuners on the Premiere units are just not that great when it comes to dynamic range.
    Also you didn't mention if you tried simply rebooting the TiVo.

5. Jun 8, 2013 #5 of 39
    gl9500

gl9500 Member

Jul 15, 2003
    chicago
    I am now on 20.3.1, so that's probably it. (sucks!)

Thanks for your suggestions. I did reboot it after the first time I noticed it was wonky. And I just happened to have rebooted it again just before I read your last reply.

I did try adding an amp before, just tried it again at the end closest to the tivo. I tried swapping splitters and removing splitters.

I will note that I had an OTA antenna connected on the same analog line and it was tuning in the OTA digital stations correctly, so at least I know the tuner and plug do work. It does not seem to like the analog channels my security cam are on.

I check the Diagnostics and don't really know what to look for but I compared between one analog channel and one digital and nothing jumped out at me.
    I've attached images (fwiw)...
    IMG_0383.JPG
    IMG_0384.JPG
    IMG_0385.JPG

Thanks for the ideas!

6. Jun 9, 2013 #6 of 39
    Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Does the TiVo have a CableCARD? If so it could be that those channels are no longer analog according to your CableCARD so it's trying to tune a QAM digital channel.

7. Jun 9, 2013 #7 of 39
    lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    A CableCARD has nothing to do with OTA channels.

8. Jun 9, 2013 #8 of 39
    unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    But since analog OTA channels no longer exist (except for a very few low-power stations that got grandfathered), the TiVo thinks (or thought) that this guy's security camera feed was analog cable channels, and if his cable lineup has changed lately, it might think they no longer exist.

9. Jun 9, 2013 #9 of 39
    gl9500

gl9500 Member

Jul 15, 2003
    chicago
    Yes, I do have one cablecard.

My diagnostics screens (posted earlier), if they are to be believed, say that the "CableCARD Association: None".

I also get the same "CableCARD Association: None" on a digital OTA channel that I can tune in.

FWIW, my 2 analog channels (4, 14) do exist in the Channel List as "antenna" with a * next to it saying they are scanned channels. I tried changing my modulator to a diff channel on UHF and CABLE bands but the tivo would not channel scan those. (I didn't bother trying Hr and Lr bands)

Thanks for the ideas everyone.

10. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Have you tried doing a channel re-scan on the TiVo with active output from the modulator? The other thing you could try is see if you can connect modulator to cable input on the TiVo instead of antenna and see if you can then tune it.

11. gl9500

gl9500 Member

Jul 15, 2003
    chicago
    I did try rescanning and the tivo did not find them, and at varying channel locations (even tho i know the signals are good and strong).

I was hoping to avoid merging the signals onto the cable input side, in part because i don't have filters to make sure the signal does not go back outside my house.

Thanks

12. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    No, the feed was analog OTA channels. The OTA connector and the cable connector are separate. These channels never "existed" in the first place.

I suspect that even if they were doing better testing than they are, this might still have "fallen through the cracks" as it were since, as you say, there are few analog OTA channels left.

13. WO312

WO312 Active Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Finger...
    Not that it helps, but this post in the 20.3.1 update thread confirms (to me at least) that the update did it to you:

"I've noticed one small oddity (OTA-only, currently SDUI): When I tune to a station with no signal, the message now reads "Searching for signal on this %s channel..." where it used to read "antenna channel". Something got garbled. "

The only difference is he said a channel with no signal, while you say you have confirmed a signal. But the message is the same.

14. L David Matheny

L David Matheny Active Member

Jan 29, 2011
    SE Ohio
    It occurred to me later that the "%s" might be some kind of string variable (source maybe?) that didn't get replaced with "antenna" or "cable" because some bit of code didn't run. Your comment here makes me wonder if the same code that should have handled the string variable might also have failed to setup some data value used by the tuner chip.

15. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    It's possible TiVo somehow screwed up the ability of the OTA tuner to tune analog. Analog OTA channels are really rare so I could see something like that slipping through the beta.

16. JoeKustra

JoeKustra Cable only

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I have a VCR with rf on channel 3 that I could use a signal source. Since I have no antenna right now, what would I lose if I re-ran setup to test the analog section of the tuner?

17. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Nothing. If you set it up as antenna + cable then you'll lose nothing.

18. phiggins

phiggins New Member

Jun 9, 2013
    The center...
    That would match my experience. I lost all my analog OTA channels a couple days ago. They come through on the TV just fine, but on my Premiere I get the message "Searching for a signal on this channel (V52)..."

I know analog OTA is "really rare" but my part of the US is still going through the analog-to-digital transition.

Thanks to this problem, my Premiere can no longer get Fox or PBS.

19. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Report it. It's probably a bug and not intentional. Probably didn't get caught in beta because there was no one in the beta who had access to analog OTA.

20. JoeKustra

JoeKustra Cable only

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I can donate some old VCRs with channel 3 outputs. They work. I can even add tapes of a test pattern.