1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Just a note that the site indexes are still building. Until they are done, anything that uses search will be affected such as normal search, post history, etc. It works from the oldest post first and is building forward in time. We could have waited for it all to be done, but hey, who uses search anyway? :)
    Dismiss Notice

America's Got Talent (AGT) - Season 8 (2013) Discussion

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by markymark_ctown, Jun 5, 2013.

1. markymark_ctown

markymark_ctown Active Member

Oct 11, 2004
    Haven't watched last night's premiere yet...reviews?
  2. pmyers

pmyers New Member

Jan 4, 2001
    I thought it was pretty good.
  3. dfergie

dfergie New Member

Aug 27, 2006
    Pretty good, the first act needs his head examined though... :D I like the new judges so far, they keep Howie from passing on goofy acts, at least they did last night.
  4. pmyers

pmyers New Member

Jan 4, 2001
    That Strange Head guy really freaked me out. Great illusion.
  5. Donbadabon

Donbadabon Geocacher

Mar 5, 2002
    It is done similar to this (spoiler alert):

Here is how the do it in India. It is a more permanent setup there though:

"Special Head" seemed to 'anchor' his walking stick into a spot on the rug when he put it down, and the smoke bomb was designed to allow him to 'unhook' himself and the collapsible seat without being obvious.

Also, has AGT always started with shows just once a week? I thought it started in the standard twice-a-week format, but the next episode isn't on until the 11th.
  6. morac

morac Cat God

Mar 14, 2003
    It switches to a twice a week format when the voting starts.

Personally I'm too busy to watch a 2 hour program once a week, let alone twice. I did a lot of fast forwarding for the first episode. I did manage to catch Special Head and the 10 year old piano player/singer.

They seem to be primarily showing highlights. I'm guessing they are rushing through auditions.
  7. gossamer88

gossamer88 HDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Watched last night. Thought Mel B and Heidi were fine. But Howard (and I love Howard) standing up for some of these acts drives me nuts.

Hated the orchestra/choir. And I hate that song even more. I would have X them immediately. And putting through B-Double-O-T-Y?!!! Really?!!
  8. Cainebj

Cainebj Active Member

Nov 10, 2006
    I think Heidi and Mel B are great.
    I am quite frankly happy to see Osborne gone.

I thought the orchestra act was great.
  9. DouglasPHill

DouglasPHill Active Member

Feb 10, 2005
    Heidi always leers at the guys without shirts.
  10. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    The 10 year old girl who sang House of the Rising Sun was phenomenal!

Her voice reminded me of Alica Keys. I'd love to hear her sing Fallin.
  11. markz

markz Hilarity Ensues

Oct 22, 2002
    I liked several acts.

The snake guy had me on the edge of my seat.

Special Head was interesting, and creepy!

The 10 year old girl was phenomenal!

Didn't care for the act with the guy eating the pepper, but did like Howie eating it.

I like the new judges, although what happens in case of a tie? With 3 judges, there was no chance of a tie.
  12. Mike Lang

Mike Lang Administrator Staff Member Admin TC Club

Nov 17, 1999
    They explained during the show that you need 3 votes to proceed.
  13. markz

markz Hilarity Ensues

Oct 22, 2002
    Thanks! I FF'd through everything but the performances and judging.
  14. That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    I wonder what will happen if it's a 2-2 split in a vote for the final advancing spot (i.e. "top three, and the judges choose from #4 and #5"). My guess is, whoever got more viewer votes advances.
  15. pmyers

pmyers New Member

Jan 4, 2001
    So far I think Mel B has had some pretty good points/opinions, but haven't noticed Heidi bringing anything to the party.
  16. jay_man2

jay_man2 jay_man-also

Sep 14, 2003
    I have. :cool::p
  17. Jayjoans

Jayjoans New Member

Jan 22, 2003
    Heidi has good points too. Just her points aren't as well developed as Mel B's.
  18. jamesbobo

jamesbobo with a grain of salt

Jun 18, 2000
    I thought the dancers who made figures with their shadows were entertaining. The same goes for the "comedian" who didn't tell jokes.
  19. mattack

mattack New Member

Apr 9, 2001
    I didn't like the song the orchestra was singing, but I like that idea. Hope they do other songs I like.
  20. getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Personally, I'd rather not hear a 10 year old singing about falling in love or yearning for a lover or anything that implies "experience". There are so many other songs which would be more appropriate from such a talented youth.

But that's just my opinion. :)