1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

American Ninja Warrior - Summer '13

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by markymark_ctown, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Jul 2, 2013 #1 of 21
    markymark_ctown

markymark_ctown Active Member

Oct 11, 2004
    C-Town
    Kind of a misleading show title since this is more of an athletic / obstacle course race, and most of the participants don't even finish.

The kids seems to love this show and I find it entertaining. Some pretty impressive abilities...

anyone else watching?

2. Jul 2, 2013 #2 of 21
    steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Yeah, I'm watching. I don't think the title is all that misleading. True it is just an obstacle course, but you have to have "Ninja" type skills to get through it.

I wish they would do away with the boring competitor profiles. I only care about the competition. Thank goodness for the 30 second skip button.

3. Jul 2, 2013 #3 of 21
    bryhamm

bryhamm randomize

Jun 30, 2004
    St Louis area
    The initial course seems much tougher this year.

4. Jul 2, 2013 #4 of 21
    mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I think I said this in last year's thread.. The course seems basically *impossible*. I know that's kind of the point, but wow.

Also, I wonder how tall the shortest guy to make it up the wall is.

5. Jul 3, 2013 #5 of 21
    late for dinner

late for dinner Past Expiration Date

May 17, 2013
    Colorado...
    I usually think that back in my youth I could complete most of these reality show runs, I watched this show for the first time this week and there ain't no way no how I'd ever, at my peak, completed this course.

6. Jul 3, 2013 #6 of 21
    DouglasPHill

DouglasPHill Active Member

Feb 10, 2005
    St Louis, MO
    Keep in mind many of these guys have been training for a full year and doing nothing else. I'm in the Mr. Rockclimber corner where he said a rockclimber has the advantage over everyone else.

7. markymark_ctown

Oct 11, 2004
    C-Town
    the course this week seemed a lot tougher than earlier one, particularly the rope rings...

8. Cearbhaill

Cearbhaill Garden obsessed

Aug 1, 2004
    Raking leaves
    Most of the profiles I have seen are regular guys who just stay active and fit, many with very physically demanding jobs or jobs that afford them time to play in challenging settings.
    Like ski lift guy, bridge inspecting guy etc.

9. bryhamm

bryhamm randomize

Jun 30, 2004
    St Louis area
    Saw an episode of Stan Lee's Superhumans and there was a girl on there who had unbelievable finger strength. She has some record for climbing the quickest. I wonder how well she would do on something like this.

10. MauriAnne

MauriAnne Mostly lurking

Sep 20, 2002
    NC
    Agree the rope rings looked tough, but the first couple obstacles seemed easier to me. Also, more people made it though the course this week than last week.

11. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Did they not have the G4 episode this week? I think it's repeated later in the week.. Having separate SPs on G4 & NBC seemed to slightly be confusing (I think I saw a few 'repeats' recorded even without generic info -- like the NBC episodes & G4 episodes had different episode #s or something even when it was really the NBC one rerun on G4 later)..

They did mention 'last night on G4' on this week's episode.. and I know I have *something* set to record on G4 again later this week (manually rescheduled recording, but it WASN'T from Sunday originally)...

12. tivoboyjr

tivoboyjr Unregistered User

Apr 28, 2003
    My Tivo keeps recording the same episodes over and over, when it's only supposed to be recording new ones, so something funny is going on. It's more than slightly annoying.

I think the climbers have an advantage, because grip strength is so important.

It's fun to watch. My kids really enjoy it, too.

13. NatasNJ

NatasNJ Bone marrow lover!

Jan 7, 2002
    Philly
    G4 episode info was bad this past week for me (COMCAST).

I think they air 2 episodes on Sunday g4 then a new episode on NBC monday

14. hummingbird_206

hummingbird_206 Active Member

Aug 22, 2007
    Near...
    I really like the original Ninja Warrior show. I watch the American NW, but don't like it nearly as much. But it looks like this season of ANW might be better than previous seasons, at least I'm hoping so, so I'm in again.

15. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    BTW, I did see the G4 episode(s) on On Demand.

16. markymark_ctown

Oct 11, 2004
    C-Town
  17. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh.

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I used to watch the Japanese show on Saturday afternoons as background noise when I was bored. I would watch the new version if they got rid of the "up close and personal" segments. I don't care about the people, just go run and jump.

18. brettatk

brettatk Thread Killer

Oct 11, 2002
    Smyrna, GA
    My girls love this show so I record it and watch it when they are with me. I find it entertaining and appreciate the dedication and athletic ability necessary to be able to do this type of thing.

19. MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    Love the show, but yeah DVR it and skip some of the backstory stuff, especially the first round. When it gets down to 20, then maybe I'll watch some.

20. KDeFlane

KDeFlane Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Silicon Valley