1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

American Ninja Warrior - NBC

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by tiams, May 23, 2012.

1. tiams

tiams New Member

Apr 19, 2004
    I think there is a show with a similar name on a cable network, but I am OTA only.

These obstacles are hardcore! I was recently thinking they should bring back the Strongest Man show so I was happy to see this. It will be a nice summer show that I can watch with the kid.

The contestants are a lot older than I would expect!

2. Donbadabon

Donbadabon Geocacher

Mar 5, 2002
    Franklin, TN
    I think this is a continuation of the show on the G4 network. Same contestants, just further down the qualifying line.

It is amazing the strength these people have.

The show is so sloooowwwww. 2 hours was way too long for this, for me. I found myself hitting FF a lot.

3. DancnDude

DancnDude Thrice as nice TCF Club

Feb 7, 2001
    Madison, WI
    I was thinking it was interesting but agree that it's really slow. It's not like Wipeout where they have the comedy to fall back on with the same obstacles. Here they position it like a real sporting event and thus watching the contestants is still impressive but gets to be a lot of the same.

It almost felt like NBC's practice for the olympics. Lots of backstories on the contestants and hype and very little actual sport.

4. Fleegle

Fleegle Chef-In-Training

Jan 15, 2002
    The Japanese series feels more like a game show, but this American version is being treated more like a sports show. I can't say I am a fan of their format. I'm a little disappointed in it.

5. bryhamm

bryhamm randomize

Jun 30, 2004
    St Louis area
    Too much on the backstory stuff. Need to just show them running the coarse.

Also, couldn't believe that some contestants were running the course during the day and others at night when the temp dropped significantly and the course became slicker with condensation.

6. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    Through the magic of TiVo, that's exactly what the show was for me. :)

That obstacle course is freaking insane. But after about 15 or so runs, I got bored watching it, even with my FFWDing past the fluff.

I doubt I'll watch much more of the qualifying rounds and just catch the later rounds that have the main "only-ever-been-completed-3-times" obstacle course.

It's like the exact opposite of how I watch America's Got Talent, where I watch the initial auditions, but then have zero interest in watching anything after that. :)

7. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    One thing that I found odd.... there was one guy who was running the course, and on the salmon ladder he made a bad "jump" and only one end of the bar caught the support while the other end missed and went down, but he managed to raise that end of the bar back up onto the supports and make it up the ladder and move on to complete the course.

Now, guys who whiff completely and fall while holding the bar, their fall would be stopped a little bit below the bottom of the ladder by a pair of safety lines attached to each end of the bar. And at that point, the airhorn would sound and the guy's run would be terminated.

When this guy missed with just one end of the bar, it was very obvious that the descent of that end of the bar was stopped by the safety line on that end. Absent that safety line, the bar would have rotated to near vertical and then slid off of the rest of the ladder. The only reason he was able to recover was because the safety line held up the loose end of the bar.

I though for sure that they would have sounded the airhorn at that point, or at least "upon review" changed his result to ending the course at the ladder. But as far as I can tell, they never did (unless it happened well after his run and I FFWDed past it).

8. bryhamm

bryhamm randomize

Jun 30, 2004
    St Louis area
    I thought the lower end caught the last rung/peg/whatever and that's what stopped his fall.

9. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    I replayed it multiple times, paying specific attention to that. He clearly passes the lowest peg.

Also, you can see the safety line coming out of the bar go taut, and you can see the other end of the safety line in the background (it goes up from the bar, over a pulley and then down to the ground, presumably where it's tied to an anchor of some sort) go taut as well.

10. NatasNJ

NatasNJ Bone marrow lover!

Jan 7, 2002
    Philly
    If that is the case he should have been HORNED OUT!
    I thought it also caught a lower rung...

11. MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    Is this like Ninja Warrior? If so those guys were INSANE! That was a great show to watch (no comedy, just crazy fast guys)

MXC and Ninja Warrior are 100x better than Wipeout (which is horrible)

12. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    This is what I'm saying! :) So either there's a rule that lets you stay alive if you have at least on end of the bar on a rung, or they just missed it.

I'm leaning towards they just missed it (as unlikely as that seems), since the "one end" rule doesn't make sense since it's pretty evident that the safety line is what kept the bar at a close enough angle to horizontal for the other end to stay on the rung.

So did I at first, but then I totally Zaprudered it. :)

13. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    Based on the intro they did at the beginning of the show, yes this is the exact same show, just brought to America, and apparently the very same big bad-ass mother-of-all-obstacle-courses that they use on the Japan version is used in the finals of this version.

14. MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    Might have to check it out then, it's crazy for sure.

15. NatasNJ

Jan 7, 2002
    Philly
    The show is great. The editing/stories/fluff added to it kind of sucks.
    I also think they way they present the TOP 15 or TOP 30 (if watching on G4)
    leaves a lot to be desired. They could easily drop the show from a 2hr show to 1hr. Also Present the Qualifiers in a more easily understood fashion.

I like the fact they showed the BOTTOM guy on the chair and how each person after them who gets a better score knocks them out but I never followed it well for some reason. I think they did it better last year.

Also if they have 6 qualifying events where the top 15 of each get to go to Vegas. They said 100 people will be in Vegas. Where are the extra 10 coming from?

I trained with one of the last year Ninja's Chris Wilzeckski. He runs a local parkour gym here in NJ. Don't know how he did but I know he tried out again this year down in Miami. Hopefully he makes it to Vegas. :)

16. DouglasPHill

DouglasPHill Active Member

Feb 10, 2005
    St Louis, MO
    Wow Levi had a real brain fart. I've been watching Ninja Warrior for years. As a contestant you have to focus on each obstacle as it comes. You can't take any of it for granted. So Levi has done well in the past. No excuses, he said he was thinking about his overall time rather than accomplishing the first obstacle. Maybe next year.

17. NatasNJ

Jan 7, 2002
    Philly
    Each year there are 2-3 guys who are A level performers who try to go for the TOP time vs just getting through with a qualifying time. Levi was one of those guys this year.

I wish they showed us how they determined the order. Random or scheduled by some other criteria. Actually I can probably find that out. :)

18. Fleegle

Fleegle Chef-In-Training

Jan 15, 2002
    But the format they're using for American Ninja Warrior requires that the contestants try for the best time. In the Japnese version, they are only competing against the countdown timer, but in American Ninja Warrior, they're competing against all of the other contestants to get one of the top 15 times. Its an annoying change.

19. LordKronos

LordKronos New Member

Dec 28, 2003
    I haven't seen this version on NBC, but if it's like the American Ninja Warrior they've been showing on G4 for years, then the reason for the annoying timing is because this show isn't the real contest. It's because they are fighting for the chance to get into the real contest....at Mount Midoriyama in Japan. The Japanese show only grants us so many free spots in the contest, but that at least guarantees that the people we take will be in the contest for sure. The rest of the contestants also go through a (much simpler) qualifying round in Japan, but they just never televise that part (though you occasionally see small clips of it in the contestant's back stories).

20. tiams

tiams New Member

Apr 19, 2004
    I thought they were qualifying to go to the U.S. version of Mount Whatever in Las Vegas, not Japan.