1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

American Idol - Top 4 Perform - 05/09/2012

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by mbhuff, May 9, 2012.

1. May 9, 2012 #1 of 31
    mbhuff

mbhuff New Member

Jan 24, 2004
    New York
    Can someone explain how it even remotely possible that a 16 year old can sing that song as well as she did? She rendered the judges mostly speachless. I have no idea if she will or should win the whole thing, but for me that was the best performance of the year.

2. May 9, 2012 #2 of 31
    nyny523

nyny523 Oy

Oct 31, 2003
    New Yawk
    I know this will shock some people (hell, it shocked me), but my favorite performance tonight was Phillip's second song. It was absolutely spellbinding.

And it looks like Hollie might FINALLY be going home this week! Please oh please!!!!!

3. Maui

Maui Major Lee Oblivious

Apr 22, 2000
    Decatur, IL
    The winner of the night for me is hands down Jessica. That performance of that Jennifer Holiday song was STUNNING. It is probably the vocal performance of the season! What really pissed me off is that the judges seemed to only begrudgingly give her a standing ovation. Watch the last two performances again. They were up before the music stopped for Joshua and were very enthusiastic and were working the crowd. They almost didn't stand up at all for the superior Jessica performance. When they did stand up they look very annoyed that they had to give someone besides Joshua the standing O treatment (isn't that something like 14 for Joshua now). None of them had a smile on their face.

Hollie and Phillip were probably tied for second in my book. Hollie sang both her songs well and was better than the judges made it seem. Unfortunately neither of Hollies songs were standouts. I didn't like Phillips first song much but his second, as Ninny stated, was the best thing he has done to date. I actually liked it.

Joshua was Joshua so he comes in fourth. Unfortunately he picked two songs that were both done very recently on The Voice and in my opinion both The Voice contestants were better (Chris Mann with You Raise Me Up and Juliet Simms with It's a Man's World).

I want Joshua to go home. That should be no surprise. Never in the few years that I have been watching has a contestant been that over-hyped or the judges that obviously biased. The judges may have sealed Hollie's fate and I will stand by my word last week that, if she goes home, I will not watch the remaining episodes. Although, I reserve the right to catch Jessica's performances on Youtube after the fact.

4. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Active Member TCF Club

Jul 8, 2004
    West St....
    I don't know if I've cared less for any final four in recent history as these four.

I actually liked Phillip's first performance. I like the song a lot, so that helps, and he didn't seem to overdo it. It was actually quite good and I enjoyed it! His second one, not so much at all.

Joshua. Oh, Joshua. I don't think I've ever heard a worse version of "You Lift Me Up"! I've grown weary of this song in general, and especially because it's done on these competition (popularity contest ;)) shows way too much, but this was just really incredibly painful to listen to. And the whole rising stage thing was just cheesy - and not in any good way. Total fail to me.

His second song - I liked Juliet's version on The Voice a hundred million percent better. Typical Joshua - boring..boring..growl a bit..start screaming..contort..go into convulsions..scream some more..standing ovation. Blech.

And I'm getting really sick of the hammer Hollie crap. Granted, not her best performance, but it didn't rate a 'rake her over the coals' judgement, either. Especially when I knew they were going to be performing an oral colonoscopy on Joshua right after that.

First performance - 'seeing the early footage and giving you the encouragement to take things to another level for yourself, etc., etc., etc.' Second performance - 'In case we were too encouraging after your first performance, please let us slap the boogers out of you for a minute this time.'

If Hollie is going to wind up in the bottom two or three all the time, let it be on her own merit - you don't need to sway things that way. Contrasting their treatment of Hollie with their treatment of Joshua just makes me want to puke.

I still don't know how I feel about Jessica. She certainly has talent in boatloads, but she seems to sing almost nothing that came about AFTER she was born. Just seems kind of odd to me. And every once in a while I get a real 'diva' vibe off of her. Just kind of off-putting for me.

At this point it will be Hollie going home, which I won't be real happy about because she's the only one left that I really give a rat's behind about. And the way I feel tonight, I don't really have any interest in following the rest of the three to the conclusion.

Note to self - if you do watch again, don't eat Chunky Soup for dinner - I can't put my finger on what has me in such a mood for tonight's show, so let's try something else next time, huh?

5. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Active Member TCF Club

Jul 8, 2004
    West St....
    And once again it almost seems as though I'm plagerizing Maui's comments. I truly go in and post before reading so I'm not influenced by others comments, then go back and read the rest.

My hats off to you, sir! :)

6. snowjay

snowjay 40mph couch potato

Mar 26, 2007
    Almost in...
    I thought the whole show was meh.

7. Jesda

Jesda CAPTAIN AWESOME

Feb 12, 2005
    DETROIT!
    It was kind of boring.

Phil's voice lacks range. Hollie lacks personality. Joshua lacks restraint. Jessica's voice has a weird, unpleasant tone and like Joshua, she over sings everything.

They butchered The Bangles, Foreigner, and Maroon 5.

Hollie will probably go home because she seems to have the smallest fanbase. She also over sang "I Cant Make You Love Me", a song that's supposed to be both tender and emotionally agonizing. She made it sound like a showy Celine Dion ballad performed in Las Vegas and sucked the sincerity out of it. I kind of hope she sticks around, but she probably won't.

I wouldn't pay to see any of these people live, but Phil seems to have the most potential for a career.

This has turned into a lame season.

8. Cearbhaill

Cearbhaill Garden obsessed

Aug 1, 2004
    Raking leaves
    Jessica is a good mimic. If you watch her singing all these songs she sings them the exact same way the original artist did, from vocals right down to the hand movements. Last night she copied every JHud affectation even down to breaths and uh-uhs.

She has vast potential but copying other artist's versions is not what makes an artist- it's what makes a great karaoke singer. I get that that's how she learned how to sing as a kid watching Youtubes but it's time to develop her own style and quite copying everyone else.

9. Maui

Maui Major Lee Oblivious

Apr 22, 2000
    Decatur, IL
    In her defense she is only 16. I still think she'll grow as an artist if she gets some knowledgeable people to help with the first CD.

10. Jesda

Jesda CAPTAIN AWESOME

Feb 12, 2005
    DETROIT!
    I'm also tired of all the screeching. WHY MUST THEY SCREECH.

11. Jesda

Jesda CAPTAIN AWESOME

Feb 12, 2005
    DETROIT!
    I'll have to amend my first post and say that Skylar has the most long-term career potential.

12. Family

Family Member

Jul 23, 2001
    Yes she is only 16, but I don't think she has "it" artistically. Jimmy said she was a great student. It's because she lacks ideas.

13. Maui

Maui Major Lee Oblivious

Apr 22, 2000
    Decatur, IL
    Hey, I just remembered that we get the pleasure tonight of seeing how Jennifer can sing a beautiful song like "I Can't Make You Love Me" with all the emotions it involves. To show us and the contestants that she has all the qualities and ability that that she criticizes these 16 and 18 year-olds for lacking.

<I'm sorry. I can't keep a straight face while typing that>

Right, it will probably be a synthesized dance track with no emotion and over-processed vocals.

14. photoshopgrl

photoshopgrl Nerd Fashionista

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    I missed the show last night but watched Phillip's videos on Rickey.org and thought Volcano was his best to date. That was absofrickenlutely stunning. I will watch the others when I get home.

15. andyw715

andyw715 Active Member

Jul 31, 2007
    I don't mind Philip, but think he looks like a complete dork singing without a guitar.

16. nyny523

nyny523 Oy

Oct 31, 2003
    New Yawk
    You may think so, and I may think so, but all those screaming girls clearly do NOT think so! :p

He is a cutie...

17. scottjf8

scottjf8 Dada and Kaya.

Nov 11, 2001
    McKinney, TX
    Didn't watch yet but voted for holly (hometown girl)

18. photoshopgrl

photoshopgrl Nerd Fashionista

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    I think he's cute but that has nothing to do with my vote (he's not THAT cute)! My undying love of Dave Matthews and the crazy weird similarity in not just vocals but in style of singing between them is why I love Phillip.

19. Kamakzie

Kamakzie Are you serious bro?

Jan 7, 2004
    MI
    I can safely say I don't care who wins. I just don't want Joshua to win since the judges always seem to go gaga over him and I just don't see it. The other 3 can win and I won't really mind who wins it. Last person to win that I actually bought their music was David Cook.

20. TonyTheTiger

TonyTheTiger Pro Troll Magnet

Dec 22, 2006
    Sadly, I think Holly goes tonight. I would MUCH prefer if it was one of the J's with the other one going next week, but that ain't gonna happen.