1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

American Idol "Top 2 performance finale show" 5/22/2012 *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Kamakzie, May 22, 2012.

1. Kamakzie

Kamakzie Are you serious bro?

Jan 7, 2004
    MI
    Jessica was pretty good in performance 1. Not her best performance by any means.
    I'm not a Phillip fan by any stretch of the imagination but I thought he took round 1.

Even though the judges thought she won round 1, I thought this was MUCH better than her first song.
    Quite a nice performance by Phillip.

Another craptacular Idol "winner" song. She sang it well but the song itself sucked rear end!
    A better song and he did well.

I'd like Jessica to win but not sure she will with all the teenage girls going crazy for Phillip. In any event I don't care if he wins.

2. jay_man2

jay_man2 jay_man-also

Sep 14, 2003
    Northern...
    Nice seeing you start this thread!

3. Kamakzie

Jan 7, 2004
    MI

4. photoshopgrl

photoshopgrl Nerd Fashionista

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    My thoughts:

Round 1
    Jessica - I am just to the point that I cannot stand anyone singing that song Jessica sang but she did it as well as expected.
    Phillip - Not at all what I'd pick for Phillip but I think he did what he could with it.
    I'd call round 1 a tie if not for my bias for Phillip ;)

Round 2
    Jessica - She was much better on this one because she was more subdued. I hate it when they think they have to "diva" out every single performance.
    Phillip - Sorry but he rocked this even better than when he sang it before. At first I was upset he didn't do Superstition but now I'm glad. (although WTF was that at the end? sounded like someone's instrument took a poo on that last note)
    Round 2 goes to Phillip

Round 3
    Jessica - I can hear this on the radio. It fit her. Not my cup of tea but I don't think I'd be her target audience anyhow. Strained her vocals a bit but with practice it could sound much better.
    Phillip - Okay I think they really put some thought into this song. I'm quite frankly shocked. This is really good! And unique! And not pop! And a perfect fit for his voice and style! Crap now I want him to win, I think! LOL :p
    Round 3 goes to Phillip.

Off I go to vote now when I wasn't originally planning to!

5. nyny523

nyny523 Oy

Oct 31, 2003
    New Yawk
    Wow, Jessica's last song was HORRIBLE!!!

Meanwhile, Phillip's last song was actually quite awesome - I agree with Steven and the Paul Simon comparison - I definitely got a folk/rock vibe that actually suited Phillip.

As for round one and two, I thought Jessica rushed her song round 1, but I really loved her round 2 song. Phillip sounded good round one, but I did not like his round 2 song (I didn't like it the first time he sang it, so at least I am consistent!).

The best part about this finale is that I genuinely have NO idea who is going to win. It really could be either one. My prediction from the very beginning was Jessica, so I guess I will stick with that, but I would not be shocked if Phillip won.

Should be interesting...

6. Kamakzie

Jan 7, 2004
    MI
    Who wrote Jessica's finale song? They should be fired!

7. Cearbhaill

Cearbhaill Garden obsessed

Aug 1, 2004
    Raking leaves
    Even I liked Phillip's last song :eek:

8. tivoboyjr

tivoboyjr Unregistered User

Apr 28, 2003
    Wow, this seems like such a mismatch to me (with Jessica being far superior) but the judges continually dismiss her and go on about what a genius Phil Phil is.

I think Jessica is the best singer to appear on Idol as a contestant. Ever. She's a better singer than most of their special guests who are established recording artists, for that matter. Phillip seems like a good kid but to me he's just a Dave Matthews impersonator. Nothing special about him.

But I think Phillip is going to win because he's cut from the same mold as the last several winners, and we know the voting history (Jessica is still around only because of the judges save and Phil has never been in the bottom three).

9. Kamakzie

Jan 7, 2004
    MI
    Dial Idol has been pretty bad the last few years when multiple contestants are still in it, however when it comes to the top 2 and picking the winner they are 100%. With that being said this years prediction is pretty clear cut.

10. KyleLC

KyleLC Unregistered User

Feb 6, 2002
    Sugar Land, TX
    I liked Philip's last song, too, but I thought it was pretty easy for him. Much of his singing was accompanied by backing vocals.

11. KyleLC

KyleLC Unregistered User

Feb 6, 2002
    Sugar Land, TX
    It sounded like the guy on the piano just banged on it randomly.

12. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    +1
    My thoughts precisely. With all due respect to Phillip, he and Jessica are not even in the same class when it comes to singing ability.

I guess I'm in the VAST minority, but I just don't get this "vote as many times as you can" philosophy. How does that accurately portray the majority opinion? There should be a one vote per phone number / ip address limitation -- it's easy enough for the system to enforce.

13. photoshopgrl

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    That had to be hard to type :)

Wow, I didn't realize they were 100% on finale predictions.

And if this were American Vocal Ability it would be a KO for Jessica but it's not and that's not just what people vote on. Is she a better vocalist who can belt out better notes? Sure. But as far as the entire package of uniqueness and performance, that IMO goes to Phillip. I realize he's a nice replication of Dave Matthews but who else sounds like that?? Nobody. I personally think SHE is the one that sounds like every other singer out there. There's nothing unique or special about her in any way (other than the fact that she's 16 and can sing that well). To each their own obviously. :)

14. Cearbhaill

Aug 1, 2004
    Raking leaves
    You misunderstand the point of the show.

It's true- credit where credit is due, LOL.
    That might be the best Idol coronation song ever.

If it is true that the contestants chose their coronation song from a list of possibles, then Phillip wins the how to choose a song award. And Jessica screwed up her song choice... again.
    It always comes back to song choices on this show.

15. photoshopgrl

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    I would tend to agree. Usually the songs are horrid.... one of the reasons I didn't want him to win. BUT if they can help him do an entire album that sounds like that, I'm sold!

16. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    Perhaps so.

17. Maui

Maui Major Lee Oblivious

Apr 22, 2000
    Decatur, IL
    That has been the case on many songs where he was required to hit higher notes. Often times you could not even hear him through the background vocals.

Jessica is technically a far better singer and I want her to win but it is very, very rare it seems for the best singer to actually win the competition.

18. tiams

tiams New Member

Apr 19, 2004
    Phil actually yawned slightly when he was standing next to Ryan while he was giving out the phone numbers.

19. Cearbhaill

Aug 1, 2004
    Raking leaves
    By this point they are dead men walking- what with the rehearsals, blocking, wardrobe, press, and all the other assorted minutiae they are made to deal with I doubt they have slept well in months.
    Never mind the stress.
    If Phillip is as close to being wheeled into surgery as they say (as well as stuffed full of meds) he is probably exhausted beyond belief.
    And it's not gonna stop any time soon.

20. Mr. Soze

Mr. Soze On my best behaviour

Nov 1, 2002
    La Cheeserie
    We're totally on the same page. I said to Mrs. S. that PP's winner song sounded like it could have come from "Graceland", and then Steven Tyler said "Paul Simon" (who's music Jlo has probably never heard ) I said that's the first lucid thought he's had all year. :D

PP wins, even though I hated his Billy Joel cover, and his stupid facial contortions.