1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Amazon Videos on Roamio, but not the Mini?

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by TheWizz, Sep 25, 2013.

1. TheWizz

TheWizz New Member

Aug 27, 2013
    I just recently acquired the Roamio, Roamio Pro, and a couple of Minis. The Roamios have NetFlix, Hulu Plus, and Amazon Instant Video On Demand. But the Minis do not have the Amazon option. Does anyone know why?

When I bought these I thought they all had Amazon (Prime) capabilities, so was disappointed when that option wasn't there on the Minis or Roamios.

2. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Because it's Amazon downloads, not Prime Streaming, and the Mini has no storage for downloads.
    What makes it more annoying is you can't download Amazon videos to your Roamio and stream to your Mini either, so you are forced to watch wherever your Roamio sits.

3. Oct 2, 2013 #3 of 24
    bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    I think the only way you will see Amazon on the mini is by TiVo/Amazon implementing Amazon streaming service.

I believe that Amazon never wanted to do this because the Premier line couldn't handle the app with acceptable performance.

With the HTML5 ecosystem on the Roamio/mini line, I think you will see Amazon Streaming now coming to those platforms.

But as MoyekJ indicated, the current implementation will not work on the Mini.

4. Oct 2, 2013 #4 of 24
    Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I completely agree. With the new apps platform I'm hoping we see a lot more streaming services coming to the TiVo ecosystem. I'd also like to see HBOGo and VUDU.

5. Irishb

Irishb New Member

Dec 11, 2013
    Amazon downloads on the Roamio will not play on the Tivo mini if the show is selected from the Tivo mini menu. If you try to play it on the mini you will receive a "Copyright message".

Here is the work around that works for me -
    I have the Tivo App downloaded to my IPad.
    Open the app.
    In the drop down menu that lists your Tivo devices - Select the Mini that you want to watch a program on.
    Now, go to My shows in the Tivo App.
    Select the Show that you downloaded from Amazon.
    Press Watch Show.
    The show will now play on the Tivo mini that you selected.

I have confirmed that this will work on the Tivo App for Iphone and the Ipad.

Enjoy

6. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    So you are watching on the iOS device in the end though, right, not the Mini? If so that is very surprising as the Stream cannot handle recordings from H.264 channels.

7. Irishb

Irishb New Member

Dec 11, 2013
    No. The video is playing on the Mini. I just use the iOS device to cue the programming to play. This will bypass the "Copyright" detection that you see when the show is selected on the Mini menu.

8. jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    Shhhh. Great to know.... This seems like a bug many can live with! :)

9. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    So if that works then why prevent it at all? I always assumed there was some technical limitation, but it seems to be purely artificial. What harm does it cause to allow streaming of Amazon downloads if the hardware/software is capable of it? :confused:

10. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    So will this work with an Android device or is it just for Apple devices?

11. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    There's no "Watch Show" capability in Android App (yet) so iOS only.

12. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    The whole Amazon thing just bugs me. It's so poorly done. Other companies would never allow such a confusing mess on their products. I wonder how many calls Tivo CS gets about this.

13. Futureinsights

Futureinsights New Member

Nov 19, 2013
    Before I had tivos, I had roku's, the roku's still work, and I now have cable in the bedroom (used to be streaming only). Only one more box to buy for hbogo, since I am in Comcast, and they don't like roku.

14. StevesWeb

StevesWeb Grumpy Old Geek

Dec 26, 2008
    Geek Hill,...

Lawyers

15. mjgraves

mjgraves New Member

Oct 11, 2003
    Yes, indeed this is an inconsistent mess. We downloaded Riddick to our Roamio Plus and stared to watch. Got about an hour into the 2:07 directors cut and decided to relocate to a room serviced by a Mini. There we found that we could not resume playback of the downloaded movie.

FWIW, we knew for certain that the entire move had been downloaded. In fact, the download was remarkably fast, pegging our 35 mbps Comcast internet service.

I wholly understand not allowing streams to portable devices. However, Tivo Mini is not a portable device in the manner of iOS or Android. If the media is held entirely within a Tivo chain of custody (Amazon -> Roamio -> Mini) then playback should be permitted.

16. tre74

tre74 Member

Nov 11, 2010
    The limit of viewing media on only one device is Amazon's policy. I ran into this when buying a TV show episode some time ago. I remember reading the message from Amazon that the purchased item could only be downloaded and viewed from a single device and I had better make sure I downloaded it to the right one.

17. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Someone posted a trick to get it to work. Apparently if you use the iOS app, select your Mini in the app, then pick the Amazon video and click Watch On TV it will work. Not sure why this bypasses the block, but apparently it does.

18. Luckyluc

Luckyluc New Member

Jan 24, 2014
    Man I wish Amazon worked...

19. megpeg

megpeg New Member

Oct 20, 2003
    plymouth,mi
    I tried the bypass trick method and it didn't work. Does anyone else have success with this method still?

20. Irishb

Irishb New Member

Dec 11, 2013
    This trick still works for me. I have a Tivo Mini in my sons room, and he uses the TIVO App on his IPAD to queue Amazon downloads. I have also confirmed that the IPHONE Tivo app works too.