1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Amazon Unbox application to purchase/rent videos from your TiVo (with video previews)

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by s2kdave, Apr 9, 2007.

1. Apr 9, 2007 #1 of 59
    s2kdave

s2kdave New Member

Jan 27, 2005
    I have release a new version of my Movie Rentals application that has the changes dswallow made in his unboxOnDemand plus some extra goodies. I've added nicer graphics all around (in my opinion). I also added a search by keyword screen and best of all I've added video previews! Now you can watch the previews for the movies right on your TiVo's Now Playing List before purchasing or renting movies! You must have a TiVo ToGo enabled receiver for this to work. So it doesn't work on Series 3 (yet). My application also plugs directly into Galleon with a configuration page. It also runs in standalone mode.

Here are a list of features for Amazon Unbox:
    * Rent or purchase and download videos on your registered TiVos from Amazon Unbox
    * Watch video previews on TiVo ToGo enabled receivers
    * View or modify video preview queue.
    * Browse for movies by genre/category.
    * Search for movies by keyword.
    * View movie details including box art and ratings.
    * Support for Series 3 16x9 aspect ratio with 720p display
    * Galleon plugin or standalone mode

So go download it and try it out and let me know if you like it or if you have any problems. http://movierentals.sourceforge.net/

Here are some screen shots:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

David

2. Apr 9, 2007 #2 of 59
    Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    So are you saying that you figured out a way to make an HME application automatically download content to a TiVo? Or does it simply put the previews into you My TiVo Recordings folder and then the user has to download them to the TiVo using the TTCB option from Now Playing?

If it's the former I would be very interested in knowing how you accomplished this, as I have an idea for an HME app I've been considering, but this was one of the short comings I was going to run into.

Dan

3. Apr 9, 2007 #3 of 59
    iWish

iWish New Member

May 15, 2005
    Very cool indeed.

Does this work on a Mac?

4. Apr 9, 2007 #4 of 59
    s2kdave

s2kdave New Member

Jan 27, 2005
    It's the second option. One you add the free preview, you need to use the TTCM from a item called "Video Previews" in the Now Playing List". Then you can transfer the download from there. I wish there was a way to push it to the tivo. I might try and figure out how their push technology works from unbox and that other nuew one they just released to see if it's possible to simulate that using an HME app.

David

5. Apr 9, 2007 #5 of 59
    s2kdave

s2kdave New Member

Jan 27, 2005
    I've never tried it on a Mac, but it should work. If not, the start script probably just needs a little tweaking and I can help you with that. For the video previews, you'll have to either find a mac binary of ffmpeg or compile it. Here's a page I found on getting ffmpeg working on a mac. http://stephenjungels.com/jungels.net/articles/ffmpeg-howto.html

David

6. Apr 9, 2007 #6 of 59
    Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I don't think you can simulate the TiVoCast feature. I'm pretty sure that it works using the same mechanisim as the online scheduling. Which means it polls TiVo's servers every 15 minutes or so, and retrieves a command which in turn tells it to download a video from a specific IP address.

Now there might be some way to point the TiVo at a proxy which spoofs those messages, but I don't know how simple that will be for the average Joe to setup.

Dan

7. Apr 9, 2007 #7 of 59
    s2kdave

s2kdave New Member

Jan 27, 2005
    yeah, you're probably right. I really wish they would just hire an in house HME developer to further their HME api. I'm willing to nominate Doug since he's also looking for a job! Looking at the code changes he's made to my app I can tell he's a fairly good programmer.

David

8. Apr 9, 2007 #8 of 59
    Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I wonder how feasible it would be to convert video to MJPEG format then feed the TiVo one frame at a time as an HME asset. If the network was fast enough, and you could preload a few frames as a sort of buffer, it might just be able to keep up decoding them. Although then you'd have to convert the audio to MP3 and try to come up with some way to synchronize them.

Dan

9. Apr 9, 2007 #9 of 59
    s2kdave

s2kdave New Member

Jan 27, 2005
    yes, the problem would be synching the sound with the video. HME does support animated video like animated gifs

10. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Is animated GIF the only animated format they support?

Dan

11. s2kdave

s2kdave New Member

Jan 27, 2005
    not sure, I haven't played with it much to find out. It's one of those undocumented things.

12. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I just looked at the docs and it looks like animated GIF is the only animated format. However I think you still might be able to fake something using MJPEG and feeding it one frame at a time. Although I haven't played with HME much yet, so I'm not sure what kind of performance HME apps have.

Dan

13. javabird

javabird Active Member

Oct 12, 2006
    Seattle
    I notice it says it uses HME-- what is that?

14. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    HME is a platform designed by TiVo that allows 3rd party programs to run on the TiVo hardware. It works similar to Remote Desktop in that the TiVo is only used for display of the data, and the real work is done on a remote PC.

The SDK is written in Java, so if your user name is any indication then it should be right up your alley.

Here is a link to the SDK and the documentation...

http://tivohme.sourceforge.net/

or if you'd like a little more detail there is also a book available....

http://www.amazon.com/Beginning-TiVo-Programming-Wrox-Guides/dp/0470054271

Dan

15. s2kdave

s2kdave New Member

Jan 27, 2005
    like Dan said, it's just a java api that lets you add applications to your TiVo.

16. ajayabb

ajayabb Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Moorestown NJ
    Trying to run on Galleon; Everything loads ok but doesnt queue for purchase options.

17. s2kdave

s2kdave New Member

Jan 27, 2005
    I'm not quite sure what you mean. Can you send me your log file? I should be under logs/log.txt in the galleon directory. Also what OS are you using? If windows are you using the native version or the zipped version?

David

18. s2kdave

s2kdave New Member

Jan 27, 2005
    ajayabb, I think I found the problem. I was up late last night building the release. :rolleyes: You were probably referring to it not loading the movie details page properly and then couldn't go to the page where you can purchase the video, right?

David

19. rdrrepair

rdrrepair You can call me Bill

Nov 24, 2006
    845 New York
    Would you, like Doug, also be receiving a commission based on sales thru UnBox?

I do not have NetFlix or BlockBuster, does this matter for your app? Will a screen/link/folder pop up for Blockbuster & NetFlix?

Are you working on any other apps? Would also be interested in a Sirius app $! Are there other video download sites that you can make an app for?

I looked at your app months ago but didn't download because of the lack of use for the original intention of your program. I don't want to download an app that has a lot of useless folders in it.

20. ajayabb

ajayabb Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Moorestown NJ
    yep thats right