1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Amazon Instant Video

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by brucemwilliams, Mar 16, 2013.

1. brucemwilliams

brucemwilliams Grand Newbie

Jun 12, 2007
    I can watch on my premiere, but can't watch on my mini?
    Says to policy restrictions this cannot be played on "unknown" or something like that.
    Can't watch the hobbit, or choose my first 3 seasons of modern family downloads.
    However, if I choose to play the entire folder which begins with several tivo recorded tivo episodes...it plays one right after the other even the DL'd protected ones.

What gives? Any ideas?

Thanks

2. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    The Amazon content is not supposed to be allowed to be streamed to another box. This is not a new policy. But it sounds like there is a bug if you are allowed to stream the Amazon content when playing the entire contents of a folder.

3. brucemwilliams

Jun 12, 2007
    Why is that exactly? I can understand policy restrictions to prevent streaming to your ipad or off of your home network. But, I am streaming from my Premiere to the mini that is connected specifically to the premiere which is required in the first place.

There should be a way on Amazon to register/marry this device to allow streaming from the premiere.

What does this really solve? I now have a new paperweight that doesn't do half what I bought it to do.

4. jjd_87

jjd_87 Member

Jan 31, 2011
    WV
    Then you should have read the box/website before you purchased. Simple as that.

5. brucemwilliams

Jun 12, 2007
    I don't recall reading anywhere on tivo's website that it doesn't provide access to amazon videos already residing on the mother premiere.

The box says:
    1.) connects to your 4 tuner tivo through your home network

2.) Watch live TV or recorded shows from your 4 tuner tivo

3.) Access your 4-tuner tivo to schedule recordings blah blah

4.) Provide access to movies and music from Hulu Plus, pandora, youtube and other broadband content services.

And you are right, reading what it says it can do, I should have read between the lines and parsed words do decipher what it can't.

Thanks for the smart bleep response. Be helpful next time or be quiet.

6. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    My understanding is the same restriction applies to Premiere to Premiere streaming. Also pod casts can not be transfered between TiVo DVRs even thou you they are free down loads and you can down load them to more than one DVR. No idea why the restrictions are there but I am guessing it has to do with licensing.

7. brucemwilliams

Jun 12, 2007
    Thank you for the response. While the transport mechanism from Premiere to mini may be "streaming", it differs from the Tivo Stream (which I have also). I am more concerned that the mini is essentially a Tivo extender. Strange that media extenders (xbox, ceton) can play amazon video's through mediacenter, but the tivo cannot.

It is definitely a coding/licensing issue, as I stated above...choosing to play the entire folder is possible...so not an equipment issue.

8. monkeydust

monkeydust New Member

Dec 12, 2004
    I'm gonna be hella mad if they finally implement it and it doesn't support prime instant streaming. I'd seriously consider buying a second mini to replace my series 3 if it did (hate having to switch to ps3 or samsung smart hub to access it.

9. takeagabu

takeagabu New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Whoa, lets keep this civil.

From Engadget review:
    "TiVo assures us that it is working to get Netflix, as well as Amazon, added to the Mini..."

I am not sure, but I believe the issue is that amazon uses a lot of onboard storage to buffer video that the mini doesn't have and they are working on a workaround.

10. waterchange

waterchange Member

Jun 29, 2010
    Current Premiere's don't support Amazon Prime Instant Streaming so be prepared to be mad.

11. monkeydust

monkeydust New Member

Dec 12, 2004
    Yeah, I know. But, this is basic functionality that you can get on many other devices (much cheaper ones too).

12. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    @monkeydust, I think your concern is different the OP's.

The OP is commenting on his inability to stream from his host TiVo to the Mini - Amazon content that has been downloaded. This is the same restriction seen in MRS TiVo to TiVo streaming. So this is an expected behavior.

I would guess that it is either a TiVo specific requirement of Amazon's or specific to the "never copy" flag Amazon places on the downloaded content.

If I am reading your post correctly, you are lamenting the lack of Amazon Prime streaming to TiVo's in general. That is a well known concern and not specific to the Mini. Once TiVo gets Amazon streaming, I am sure the Mini will get Amazon streaming.

I have Amazon Prime, but I have never found any free content that interested me, so becides the desire to have more content - I am just not that concerned about it, personally.

Question to the group: Do you think Amazon is not allowing Amazon Prime streaming on the TiVo Premiers because of performance concerns? Laggy performance of the Adobe Air apps?

13. monkeydust

monkeydust New Member

Dec 12, 2004
    Yes, you are correct. My point is different than the OP's.

As for your question for the group, I was just assuming that the subscriber numbers for TiVo were not so high that it was a burning app to be developed by Amazon compared to some of the other platforms.

14. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Yes. Technically the TiVo Premiere platform does not even have enough CPU power to meet the minimum requirements for Adobe Air.

I think that once the next gen hardware is released, with it's faster CPU, we're likely see an influx of services that already have Adobe Air apps. Adobe Air is also used for Samsung Smart TVs, and they have a bunch of apps TiVo doesn't have. I'm hoping that once the TiVo platform is upgraded to meet the minimum specs that we'll see more of those apps offered via TiVo. Not just Amazon but other services like HBOGo, VUDU, Crackle, etc... That would finally allow TiVo to meet their "one box" promise.

15. monkeydust

monkeydust New Member

Dec 12, 2004
    Everything seems pretty snappy in the mini. So, I was hoping we'd get Amazon streaming on it.

16. tatergator1

tatergator1 Active Member

Mar 27, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    Makes me wonder. We know the Mini processor is more powerful. Odds that Amazon Prime Streaming comes to the Mini only? And is then added to the future Premieres?

17. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Probably not. Even if the hardware is capable I doubt they'd want to confuse people by releasing apps that only work on the Mini. They'll probably hold them back until both the host and Mini can run them. Plus they're probably trying not to tip off too many people to the upcoming hardware change because they don't want to slow sales of current gen TiVos.

18. atmuscarella

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Well that might help move more Minis but it might cause people to stop buying new DVRs. Frankly TiVo really needed to update this equipment long ago. Just think about it the Premiere was released in what March of 2010 and I remember someone saying the manufacture date on their Premiere was the fall of 2009. So this hardware is closing in on 4 years old, just think if Apple had tried to sell the same ianything for the last 4 years with just software updates would anyone be buying?

19. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Of course alot of people would still be buying.

20. atmuscarella

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Do you really believe alot of people would buy outdated Apple hardware instead of the updated alternatives, without Apple having to nearly give it away? The only reason I think TiVo can get away with it is because we basically have no alternatives.