1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Amazon Instant Video problem

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by yellowdingodog, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Oct 2, 2013 #1 of 30
    yellowdingodog

yellowdingodog New Member

Oct 2, 2013
    I recently got a Roamio Plus. It's my first TiVo.

I never really wanted to write a novel, but here goes:

I wanted to watch something on Amazon Instant Video.

First, I followed the on-screen prompts, and got to the end, and got a message about not being able to update tokens.

Next, I googled and discovered that apparently you have to link the accounts first from their website.

Third, I went to Amazon's website and attempted to link to my TiVo account. In trying to do so, it asks you which TiVo you have. Roamio is NOT on their list. I selected something, entered my credentials, and got a message "Sorry we cannot link your accounts" and to contact customer support. I wasn't clear WHICH customer support.

Fourth, I contacted TiVo support, who insisted that nobody else has had a problem with this. Then, said, well, yes, some people had to call the Amazon support number. But if you just call Amazon support they will fix it and link your account no problem.

Fifth, I called Amazon support. The lady tried to link the accounts, until I told her I had a Roamio then she insisted that it is not a supported device so there was nothing they could do. They have a supported device list which does not include Roamio. After about 40 minutes of arguing, she finally said she would put in a support ticket, and asked me a bunch of irrelevant questions, like was I on WiFi or wired, and what limits do I have on my bandwidth. I am not 100% sure she understood the issue. I asked when I should expect to hear a response from the support ticket, and she said I wouldn't, unless they figured out how to solve the problem. But they probably wouldn't, because it is not a supported device. But if she did hear anything she would let me know about it.

Sixth, I contacted Tivo, and told them about my troubles. The person I chatted with said that it says right on the Tivo site that it is supported. I pointed out that Amazon says its not. I won't bore you with the details, except he was insistent that there is not a single person at TiVo who could help me in any way. Then he disconnected the chat session.

Seventh, I called Amazon back in the hopes of talking to a different person. Unfortunately, unlike TiVo, they track their support calls so they know that I had recently called. And the person I talked to said since they created a support ticket they would not talk to me again or attempt to resolve it in any way until the ticket was closed. I asked her when that would be and she said 1-2 days. I told her the other person said she likely wouldn't call me back, and this person insisted that she would make sure one of them called me back. She at least made an attempt to be nice.

So, I guess I am wondering if anyone else has linked a Roamio to Amazon Instant, what steps you went through, and whether you encountered anything like this? Or any advice, or contact info for anyone who could help me?

2. Oct 2, 2013 #2 of 30
    moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Yes, I've been using my Roamio Pro with Amazon downloads and it's working fine. If you need to choose a model at Amazon site just choose "TiVo Premiere" as the model type (that's the previous generation series 4 TiVo).

I normally start an Amazon transfer to my device from amazon.com and I don't remember having to do anything to get my Roamio Pro in the device list, but I already had 2 other TiVos there before so maybe that's why.

3. Oct 2, 2013 #3 of 30
    yellowdingodog

Oct 2, 2013
    Thanks, I tried as Premiere but got an error. Sounds like that's not the problem.

4. Oct 3, 2013 #4 of 30
    aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Amazon is working fine with my Roamio Pro but I already had my account setup with Amazon and linked to my TiVo account. So to add my Roamio Pro to the list I only needed it to refresh my TiVo list on the Amazon page.

5. Oct 3, 2013 #5 of 30
    Alan_r

Alan_r New Member

Sep 13, 2013
    Hmm, I actually havent used my Roamio for Amazon yet so didnt even try to update my account until looking at this thread.

When I go to Amazon and choose to refresh my devices nothing happens.
    I list all my devices and see my TiVo HD and PS3 there, but refreshing doesnt do anything, nor does selecting a new device to add.

...but I also cant unlink a device either, so something is up

Ill try from another computer tonight and see if I have better luck

6. Oct 4, 2013 #6 of 30
    JGC650I

JGC650I New Member

Sep 1, 2013
    I had linked my Roamio Pro to my Amazon account when I originally set it up and it worked fine. Hadn't downloaded anything from Amazon for a couple weeks and when I tried a couple days ago I found it was no longer linked. When I tried to set it up again, I now get the same "unable to update account tokens" error message. I put a ticket into Tivo Support on this and all I got back was an intelligence insulting request that I verify my network/Internet connectivity and reboot my router (seriously?!?!?!).

Anyone else find a solution to this error yet?

7. Oct 4, 2013 #7 of 30
    moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Yes, I'm able to duplicate the issue now as well. I had cleared out my account of devices and trying to add my Roamio Pro right at the end after entering a pin I get "unable to update account tokens" error as well.

8. Oct 5, 2013 #8 of 30
    ShoutingMan

ShoutingMan Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Same error for me.

I can't get my Amazon Instant Video working with my Roamio. And I can't disconnect my (now sold) older Tivo HD boxes disconnect from my Amazon account.

I spent an hour running in circles on the Amazon site. The links on Amazon go to a generic Tivo page that links back to the same Amazon page. I can't find any way to actually turn on or off this service anywhere.

They don't have Roamio listed. My wife called Amazon CS and they didn't know anything.

9. Oct 5, 2013 #9 of 30
    skid71

skid71 Member

Mar 20, 2013
    I'll be following this thread closely. New TiVo (Pro) owner and was looking forward to trying out Amazon Video. I've already have to call Comcast (ugh) to figure out why Xfinity VOD isn't working, but that is for another thread.

10. JGC650I

JGC650I New Member

Sep 1, 2013
    Got another reply from Tivo Support. They're now saying it's a known issue in Amazon's court. Support response states, "Upon reviewing the case, I do show the error you are receiving has been claimed by Amazon (upon confirmation with Amazon) and is being troubleshot with them. We do apologize for any inconvenience."

11. Steverman

Steverman New Member

Oct 5, 2013
    We just connected our third TiVo- a Roamio, and we've enjoyed Amazon Instant on one of our Series 2s for years. Once again, we're having issues with Xfinity PPV, but we also can't get Amazon on it either:thumbsdown:. Right now, I'm trying to unlink our TiVo account from Amazon, but even that doesn't seem to be working, so we're kinda screwed with our new device, but at least we have four working tuners instead of the one that Xfinity stuck us with.

12. DaveDFW

DaveDFW Member

Jan 25, 2005
    Richardson, TX
    I'm also unable to configure Amazon Instant Video on my Roamio. Slogging through the Tivo interface in an attempt to register only ends with an "invalid request" error message.

Trying to register via Amazon at http://www.amazon.com/instantvideo/tivo just goes in circles, always ending up back at the initial registration page.

Edit: The Tivo process now terminates with "unable to update account tokens" instead of "invalid request." The end result is the same, however--failure to register with the Instant Video service.

13. yellowdingodog

Oct 2, 2013
    Amazon did get back to me and ask for my software version, so it appears they are looking into it...

14. skid71

skid71 Member

Mar 20, 2013
    This is encouraging. Please post back if you hear anything else.

15. JGC650I

JGC650I New Member

Sep 1, 2013
    Looks like Amazon got this fixed today. I was able to go in this afternoon and deregister my old deleted devices on the Amazon site without getting caught in the previously experienced loop. Was also able to successfully relink my Roamio Pro to my Amazon account and download content. FYI and hope it's solved for everyone.

16. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    I'm still getting the "unregister" loop on amazon.com trying to unregister a device so it doesn't seem resolved for my account. I'll have to try registering my Roamio Pro, but I expect that will fail as well.

EDIT: Just was able to register my Roamio Pro (via Slingbox), so at least that is working. YMMV.

17. Alan_r

Alan_r New Member

Sep 13, 2013
    Sweet!
    Finally works for me now as well.

I just clicked the refresh device link on Amazon and it added my Roamio.
    (I did have to click it twice though)

18. yellowdingodog

Oct 2, 2013
    Great, the website is now saying my Roamio is linked. In a couple hours, I can test it out.

19. GBTheater

GBTheater Tivo user since 2000

May 4, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    How long before we can stream Amazon Prime videos to our Tivo's though?
    This still doesn't work, right?

20. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    correct