1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Amazing race 10/14/12

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by wendiness1, Oct 15, 2012.

1. wendiness1

wendiness1 WiiMomma

Jul 29, 2005
    Idunno
    Gary needs to stop scolding Will.

2. Regina

Regina I've got Jewbs!

Mar 29, 2003
    Indiana
    I am glad Caitlin and Brittany are gone-they personified the "Ugly American" in this ep-"I cannot believe this guy in this country does not speak English..." Yeah, dang Indonesian...doesn't speak English...:rolleyes:

I understand frustration with a bad "cab driver" or a bad pedi-cab driver, but do what the twins did, GTFO and get a new one! ;)

3. David Platt

David Platt !Texas TCF Club

Dec 13, 2001
    Portland, OR
    I don't believe for a second that she actually said that. It seemed like a bit of creative editing to me. The first part of the sentence "can't believe a guy from this country..." was heard over another clip of her doing part of the task; they only cut to seeing her face while she's talking on "doesn't speak English." There was a subtle sound variation between the two audio clips, too, so I really think the editors franken-bited that one together from two different conversations.

4. murgatroyd

murgatroyd Don't stop believin'

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    Caitlin and Brittany got screwed by trying to chariot-race the other team to the Pit Stop. If you are trying to pass the guys in front and then come to a fork in the road, of course your driver is going to take the other fork because there's no other place for him to be.

People expect "someone who lives here" to know every scrap of road in town, but even taxi drivers don't know it all.

I was expecting Will and Gary to get a penalty for picking up someone's money off the floor in the train station.

5. Neenahboy

Neenahboy Statistical outlier TCF Club

Apr 7, 2004
    Arlington, VA
    I was stunned at the number of teams that so readily took the Lion's Head detour. I wonder if the descriptions were skewed on the clue or something, because the egg seemed so much easier (and in fact, it was).

6. Ment

Ment Active Member

Mar 27, 2008
    People's...
    Usually the physically demanding tasks are the shorter ones, thats probably why. Wearing a 40lb costume didn't seem that bad compared to hauling ice blocks or somesuch so I'd have done the same thing. Plus you get to taste the culture. :)

7. Neenahboy

Neenahboy Statistical outlier TCF Club

Apr 7, 2004
    Arlington, VA
    It just seemed so obviously skewed to the egg challenge that I found it laughable that so many teams would choose the opposite.

Wear a 40 lb. tribal mask on your head in the blistering heat, walk a parade route, and stop several times to perform a small dance routine vs. go somewhere, sit there as a guy cooks an egg on your head, then eat the egg.

8. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Quad Sillies
    From the comments of those who wore those heads, they tasted TOO MUCH of the culture...:eek:

9. Ruth

Ruth Now with toddler

Jul 31, 2001
    Anchorage,...
    Maybe people were worried about getting lost during the part of the egg challenge where they had to find the egg vendor in the market?

10. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    We thought the same thing, but I'm guessing the real description included in the clue was much more explicit than Phil's short explanation, and there was something that made the Lion's Head task seem shorter. And given that 5 teams got off that first train at the same time, and four of them did the Lion's Head and one did the Egg Head, and the four that did Lion's Head finished before the one that did Egg Head, it seems that choosing Lion's Head was the better choice.

11. Squeak

Squeak An Inert Gas

May 12, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    Why would that be a penalty? They didn't beg for it.

12. heySkippy

heySkippy oldweakandpathetic

Jul 2, 2001
    Sarasota, FL
    Finding something doesn't make it yours.

13. stellie93

stellie93 Active Member

Feb 25, 2006
    Yeah, that was gross. If the insides of those masks really hadn't been sterilized since other people spit into them, I'd think you could get sick easily. Even drinking the water in another country can make you sick--wouldn't this be the same kind of thing? Just unfamiliar bacteria. :(

14. Regina

Regina I've got Jewbs!

Mar 29, 2003
    Indiana
    I hope you are right, but every time the two of them addressed the camera they spoke about how mad they were, and how pi$$ed off they were at everything, I dunno...I know the producers can edit and make the racers look any way they want...but these girls seemed whiny and annoying to me, and I am glad they are gone and "Mutt and Jeff" are still there. :eek:

15. murgatroyd

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    Why put it into the show, if it didn't make a difference in the outcome? Or did it?

I saw the guys paying the p-cab driver on the road. Did they pay him extra to go fast?

Just curious.

16. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I think they were just paying him then so that when they arrived at the destination, they could jump off and run to the mat without having to haggle over the price like the blonde girls had done earlier in the episode.

17. murgatroyd

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    Sure, I thought so, too. But it didn't occur to me until now that they might have had extra money to sweeten the pot.

18. Squeak

Squeak An Inert Gas

May 12, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    My guess is they showed it because :

1) It was in the middle of the best shot they had of that team arriving at the train station
    2) It was kind of funny to see the little dude bend down and pick something up and say "look! I found some money!".

We have no idea what he did with it. For all we know he turned it over to the station or the producers.

19. VegasVic

VegasVic Craps Player

Nov 21, 2002
    The Craps Table
    Blah episode with blah challenges but the right team went home. Good riddance.

20. laria

laria Librocubicularist

Sep 7, 2000
    Seacoast, NH
    Because he said something to the effect of "Look, I found some money! Maybe our luck is turning around!" and in the end their luck had turned around.