1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Amazing Race - 10/13/13

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by BradJW, Oct 13, 2013.

1. BradJW

BradJW Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Houston
    Well that really sucked. They never made it out of the airport.

:(

I was really hoping for a non-elimination leg.

2. Maui

Maui Major Lee Oblivious

Apr 22, 2000
    Decatur, IL
    I agree. That sucked. I figured it would be a non-elimination with team spread out as much as they were.

It is episodes like this that make me sometimes want to to stop watching. The reason they lost had nothing to do with any mistakes they made. It was simply bad luck and beyond their control.

3. MarkofT

MarkofT ****

Jul 27, 2001
    The Tall City
    Ya, that wasn't good. The immediately prior mat visit was hilarious.

4. laria

laria Librocubicularist

Sep 7, 2000
    Seacoast, NH
    They were my favs so far. :(

5. Azlen

Azlen Active Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Peoria, AZ
    Yes and no. They didn't have to take the flight and knew it was a risk. A general rule of thumb I would have if I were racing is if you are going to have more than 1 layover (and sometimes even if you only have one) try to make sure that at least one other team is with you. I don't think that I would have taken that itinerary.

6. WO312

WO312 Active Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Finger...
    IIRC, they did make a mistake. They missed the early flight that they should have had if the agent hadn't made a mistake. They were on the later flight with everyone else. Then they decided to change to the 3 legs to get in 2 hours earlier. Didn't work out, but they took the chance. Their mistake.

7. loubob57

loubob57 Cancer sucks! TCF Club

Mar 19, 2001
    Fort Worth, TX
    As soon as I saw Phil in the airport I knew it wasn't a non-elimination leg. I'm sure the NFL guys knew it right away too. This sucks for them just slightly less than losing because of a bad cab driver.

8. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    And it seemed a LOT later than when the other teams finished (it was dark when they were at the airport outside. If this had been a non-elimination, then they would have let them finish. Too bad, as they were my favorites. Right now it's anyone but the Afghanimals or Pinkie and her Brain. Those teams annoy me.

9. TonyTheTiger

TonyTheTiger Pro Troll Magnet

Dec 22, 2006
    There was obviously quite a gap between Pinky arriving and the NFL guys getting to the airport. Either that or they were kept there until Phil arrived.

The producers had to be sure that Phil could get to the airport before they arrived.

Add me to the camp that was hoping for a non-elimination leg. Although they chose their own route, which is unusual as the teams usually have only one or two choices of itinerary, it was flight delays that caused them to miss connections (four hours for one and two for another).

10. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I kind of liked that they let the teams handle booking flights as there was a lot of strategy involved this time around as it was clear there weren't a lot "normal" options and teams would have to be creative. The baseball wives getting on "the list" first was great and I loved how they didn't reveal how they did it to the other teams, especially Pinky, who seems to feel she deserves an explanation for EVERYTHING that goes on in the Race.

11. TonyTheTiger

TonyTheTiger Pro Troll Magnet

Dec 22, 2006
    Oh yes, that reminds me.

Pinky: They SAID they got on the list first. Which is what I would have done, so I'm pissed they managed to screw me before I got to screw them!

(paraphrasing, obviously!).

12. Inundated

Inundated Face For Radio

Sep 9, 2003
    Northeast Ohio
    This proves, again, that the non-elimination legs are not moved around to accommodate keeping popular teams on the show.

It still stinks for them, tho (and they were my favorite team so far), but they did say that they were "rolling the dice" on the flight choices.

Nice, aggressive work by Chester and Ephraim, but they were just as likely to get burned. As soon as I learned they were going to make two different connections, I knew they'd get hit by delays.

13. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    i felt bad for them, but i also said to myself when the chose 2 layovers that it would not work out well for them - that is a classic bad move and roulette spin, claiming almost as many victims as not reading the clue.

14. Squeak

Squeak An Inert Gas

May 12, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    Why do they keep calling the Baseball wife's "Team Bunnies"?

15. laria

laria Librocubicularist

Sep 7, 2000
    Seacoast, NH
    I wondered if they had something to do with Playboy but I don't see anything about that. In their CBS bio, one of them says in the what do you hope to accomplish section: "Growing in my friendship with my sweet bunny, Nicky..."

16. hefe

hefe Rebus Philbin

Dec 5, 2000
    CO via Chi-town
    Of course she does, she has the Express Pass!

The way she's thrown that out a couple times, as if people are going to just bow to her power, is ridiculous. You want to make a deal? Agree to give it up. Set up the terms, you give this, I give that. "I have the Express Pass" isn't good enough. The other team should have said, "Yeah, so use it!"

17. eddyj

eddyj SeƱor Member TCF Club

Jun 20, 2002
    South Florida
    My recording got all screwed up, so I am not sure what the heck happened. Did the football guys miss two planes?

And how did the wives get on the waiting list first?

18. TriBruin

TriBruin Active Member TCF Club

Dec 10, 2003
    Bartlett, IL
    The football guys had multiple delays causing them to miss connections.

The wives went to a Airline lounge that was open and added their name to the waiting list (versus waiting for the gate to open.)

Although I feel bad for the Football guys, I like that this happened. I don't like the "take one of two flights" with a certain number of teams on each flight. Yes it make for an exciting finish. But I would rather have teams find their own flights and transportation and be able to take chances that may or may not pay off.

Also, I am surprised no one has commented the amount of cleavage on the baseball wives was showing when she was bending over. (Which happened a lot at the puzzle challenge.)

19. laria

laria Librocubicularist

Sep 7, 2000
    Seacoast, NH
    It was confusing even if you were watching it. :) I *think* that they missed the first connection, then the replacement connection had mechanical problems while they were already on the plane, then when they finally got to the second connection it was delayed. There may have been an extra new connection in the middle? I'm not entirely sure.

They went into some sort of office or airline club room and asked to be put on it. Everyone else was just waiting around near the gates thinking they could only do it there.

20. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    We saw the delay announcement when they were in London showing that their flight wouldn't be leaving until 9:15 pm. So they probably didn't get in to Lisbon until midnight or later.

By the way, it's Pinkie and No Brain." :)

They were delayed leaving Santiago, so that by the time they got to Buenos Aires, they had missed their connection. Then they found another flight that they thought might work, and then after they had already boarded, they found out it was delayed as well. Then finally, they got to London, and then their flight to Lisbon was delayed and didn't leave until nighttime, when all the teams had already checked in during the day.