1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Amamzon Prime Instant Video

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by midson, Mar 17, 2014.

1. midson

midson New Member

Feb 26, 2005
    The firmware on my Sony Blu-Ray was recently updated, which added closed captions to Amazon Prime Instant video. This was a must for my wife and we've been watching more thru that service because of it. I really hope TiVo adds it to the Roamio and minis in the near future (with a CC option of course). It's the only time (other than actually watching a DVD/Blu-Ray disc) I have to use something other than my TiVo for video viewing.

2. brshoemak

brshoemak New Member

Nov 27, 2010
    Highly doubtful it will support Prime Instant Video pretty much ever. Amazon appears to be working on their own set top box so they will have very little incentive to spend the time and money on updating the app to provide free (under Prime) content.

The current Tivo Amazon Instant Video setup only works for paid content which makes them money and I'm sure Amazon is happy to support it.

btw, I'm a huge Prime user so I would love to see support. I currently have a Tivo, Chromecast, Blu-ray player and Vizio television - only the Vizio supports Prime Instant Video and its interface is pretty terrible. :(

3. tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Active Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    You should get a Roku.

4. midson

midson New Member

Feb 26, 2005
    I for one want one box for everything. More boxes equals more clutter, more wires, more inputs, more hassle and less wife acceptance factor. TiVo is close to that for me now. Amazon Prime is all that's missing for me.

5. brshoemak

brshoemak New Member

Nov 27, 2010
    Yeah, I know a Roku will do it but that's yet another A/V device to plug into my receiver and try to teach the wife - that's the learning curve that can't be overcome. The new Roku Stick comes out soon which is very similar to the Chromecast and will do Prime also. I could replace the Chromecast, but I JUST got it a week ago and my wife is already in love with it - and she hates technology with a passion.

This is what I want: A Roku (Stick) that supports all major streaming services including Prime Instant video, that comes with a backlit remote with a quality backlit QWERTY keyboard on the back - for about $60-70.

EDIT: Yeah, what midson said. :)

6. elwaylite

elwaylite Member

Apr 23, 2006
    Theodore, Al.
    My speed sucks, and the PQ of the downloaded file is actually better than streaming. I wish more services allowed you to download the entire show/movie as an encrypted file...

7. laria

laria Librocubicularist

Sep 7, 2000
    Seacoast, NH
    Same here, although I wouldn't mind HBO GO along with Prime Streaming. :)

8. bayern_fan

bayern_fan New Member

Aug 11, 2013
    HBO Go would be an excellent option. I feel that we would be more likely to see this offered on the Opera TV Store before a "native" Tivo app like Pandora/Spotify.

That being said, I hooked up my PS3 once again to the same TV as my Roamio Plus in order to take advantage of the new HBO Go app on Playstation for the time being. Best of both worlds!

9. moedaman

moedaman New Member

Aug 21, 2012
    I picked up a Sony BDP-S5100 blu-ray player for our bedroom. Not only does it play discs, but it has all of the streaming services I'm interested in, including Amazon Prime, Hulu Plus, Vudu, MLB.tv, Netflix, etc. It also is dlna certified, so I can access the media that's on my home server (including kmttg converted Tivo recordings). For my money, it's as close to the "everything in one box" that I found. It's sitting right next to a Tivo, so I'm only using 2 inputs. Thanks to Google and Apple having their own stores, there will never be a perfect solution (even if Tivo adds a BD unit in a model).

10. laria

laria Librocubicularist

Sep 7, 2000
    Seacoast, NH
    Well, I guess I'm just back to Amazon Prime Streaming. ;) I got an email today that Xfinity On Demand now has all seasons of all shows of HBO, so that eliminates my need for HBO GO.

11. poppagene

poppagene User

Dec 29, 2001
    misread

12. humbb

humbb Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Northern CA
    I tried that too, but unfortunately Comcast/Xfinity won't authenticate HBO Go on the PS3.

laria, did they say that was immediately effective? Because I'm not seeing that right now. And it seems that XOD doesn't include all the movies that are on HBO Go.

13. laria

laria Librocubicularist

Sep 7, 2000
    Seacoast, NH
    It was just about TV shows. It says:

14. humbb

humbb Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Northern CA
    This is interesting. When I use the XOD app on the Roamio Pro, I can't find shows like "Deadwood" or "The Wire" on the HBO Series menu. When I use the Search screen, a Deadwood episode comes up as a "Watch now from..." using XFINITY VOD HD selection. When I select that, I get the "Please Wait..." dialog followed by an ERR-2 error dialog and an invitation to visit Comcast.com/help and a "We're sorry, but we're experiencing an issue at the moment" message.

This is still going on since I first tried last night. Anyone else have this issue? Maybe it's local?

15. laria

laria Librocubicularist

Sep 7, 2000
    Seacoast, NH
    I haven't actually tried it, just got the email... we still haven't paired our cable card after getting the Roamio the day after Christmas, so I still can't use the Xfinity app. :eek:

16. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Does this mean the iOS app, or only via the cable directly?

As a single data point contrary, Bored to Death has only 3 random episodes listed in the Xfinity app..

Not like I need even more choices of stuff to watch though!

17. laria

laria Librocubicularist

Sep 7, 2000
    Seacoast, NH
    It is my understanding from what I've read on here that the Xfinity apps like the one on Xbox do not have the full range of Xfinity VOD available. But that the app in the TiVo is the same as if you had a cable box.

18. mdm08033

mdm08033 Member

Apr 23, 2007
    Haddonfield,...
    Affirmative! Netflix, Amazon Prime and HBO Go are the tentpole streaming services for over the air cord cutters.

I never warmed up to the iffy picture quality, stereo sound and mandatory commercials on Hulu Plus. I much prefer getting my over the air network programming from my antenna where i get perfect AQ/PQ AND a skip button.

I agree with the predictions that the pending arrival of the Amazon branded streaming device puts the final nail in the coffin of Amazon Prime Streaming on a TiVo device.

Cheers, Michael

19. pele2014

pele2014 New Member

Mar 20, 2014
    I'm new to TiVo, first-time poster to this forum, and agree with others eager to see Amazon Prime availability. In addition to a basic Roamio DVR, I went for the Mini, and see that the Amazon Instant Video app on the DVR, cruddy as it is, is missing from the Mini. A TiVo tech support person told me the reason for that unlike Netflix, which streams, Amazon Instant downloads. That means, she said, that if you download content from Amazon to your DVR it will appear on the Mini under "My shows."

I've read as well that Amazon is developing its own set top box. Some have suggested this may mean Amazon is not interested in working with TiVo to allow Prime members to access Prime content on a competitor's box. That would be a very shortsighted strategy. Just as Microsoft is developing Office for iPad, and Apple has iTunes for Windows, and Amazon has Kindle apps for iOS devices, Amazon is too smart, I'd hope, to alienate all the Prime members who are also TiVo customers and want to see Prime content available on their TiVo boxes.
    --
    update:

Since posting the above earlier today I chatted with an Amazon rep who said: "Amazon prime videos are not available on TiVo since TiVo only supports downloads and not streaming."
    Now obviously, that's not true, since Amazon supports Netflix, which streams. In a follow-up email, the Amazon rep wrote: "Because streaming is not supported at this time, you can't stream Prime Instant Video titles on your TiVo."
    Note the passive voice, such that it's ambiguous WHO does not support streaming. Clearly TiVo supports streaming for Netflix, so either TiVo is not supporting it for Instant Video, or Amazon is not making it available for streaming -- or the two just can't/don't want to come to terms. Or???

20. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Near...
    The latest rumor version is that the Amazon "set top box" is actually a USB dongle similar to the Google ChromeCast.

Hard to imagine Amazon has much incentive to improve the Instant Video experience on Tivo's. Tivo probably accounts for an extremely tiny percentage of their video business. I guess one could hope the Roamio will be popular enough to change that.