1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Almost a Tivo owner!

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by lyriclisa, Mar 19, 2013.

1. lyriclisa

lyriclisa New Member

Feb 13, 2013
    My Tivo will be delivered today, and I picked up my cable card yesterday so I'm all set! Guess I won't be getting any other work done tonight until I have it all set up. I can't wait to have recording back again!!!

2. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Congrats - which TiVo did you get?

3. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    You're all set if your cable system doesn't use SDV, which a large number of them do. In that case you'll also neeed a TA box. Sometimes it's not easy to determine this so post your cable co and location so others here can help you.

4. lyriclisa

lyriclisa New Member

Feb 13, 2013
    I got a Premiere that was upgraded with a 2TB hard drive.

My cable company is RCN (Lehigh Valley) - what's a TA box?

5. Loach

Loach Member

Jan 11, 2013
    Omaha, NE
    A tuning adapter. Your cable company *should* have provided you one along with the cable card if you need it. I need to pick up one tomorrow because Cox is implementing switched digital video (SDV) in my market this month for certain digital channels.

6. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    As far as I can tell, exploring the RCN Lehigh Valley web pages, you do not have SDV and it is actually a fiber optic system. Interesting that they directly rent various TiVo boxes, see here:
    http://www.rcn.com/lehigh-valley/digital-cable-tv/equipment
    I assume these boxes are modified to provide enhancements on the RCN system, such as ordering On Demand directly via the Tivo remote. Unless you purchased an RCN TiVo (if that is even possible) you probably won't have the enhanced features.

My TA has caused 99% of the problems that have made the TiVo experience far from reliable for me.
    (Actually not just the TA but the way it interoperates with other system components). So you're lucky you won't have to have one.

RCN's bundles for Internet and digital TV are much lower priced, and have higher internet download speeds, than what I get with Time Warner. The only catch would be if RCN has data caps on their internet.

7. lyriclisa

lyriclisa New Member

Feb 13, 2013
    I'm not really interested in the features you can get with an RCN Tivo, so I'd rather own my own with lifetime, keep it for as long as I want or sell it when I'm done.

In general I don't have a lot of complaints with RCN - I was paying WAY too much until recently. The current deals are pretty good in my opinion.

Now I need to get a new router so I can actually get the full speed from my modem.

8. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Based on my reading of the available information, if RCN ever does institute SDV, they wil do via IP back-channel rather than TA.

9. 1Scooby1

1Scooby1 New Member

Feb 6, 2013
    Congrats, you will love it!

10. CoxInPHX

CoxInPHX COX Communications

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    http://www.rcn.com/j/fiber

Is this FTTP or FTTN? I suspect it is an HFC (Hybrid Fiber Coax) system with Fiber to the node and Coax to the home.

11. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Active Member

Mar 21, 2004
    It's FTTN. FiOS is here in the Valley as well, so they sometimes use the "we're fiber optic too" angle in marketing, but they're not the same. RCN's not bad here. If I didn't have Fios I would choose them.

12. lyriclisa

lyriclisa New Member

Feb 13, 2013
    Well, I wasn't as prepared as I thought! I had neglected to research the wireless adapter well enough and found out last night that I need one. And then of course, I recently found out that I need to upgrade my router from wireless G to N (to take advantage of my new 50 Mbps cable modem). Fortunately, I had started the research on that already, so last night I ordered a new router, and the Tivo wireless adapter.

Both should be here in a few days, then hopefully I'll have everything I need to do the install!

13. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Just FYI:

FTTN = "Fiber to the node"
    FTTP = "Fiber to the premises"

And "node" means essentially a neighborhood. Clearly FTTP is superior. My TWC is neither and when I asked a service supervisor when they might go either way his answer was roughly translated as "never". :( Well that's certainly worth paying TWC's higher rates for isn't it? :rolleyes:

14. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    You could use a router in bridge mode instead of a Tivo wireless adapter, and then you'd be able to connect other things (e.g. game consoles) at the same location.. Plus, a router to use in bridge mode is likely cheaper.