1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. - The Well - S01E08 - OAD 11/19/13

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by caslu, Nov 19, 2013.

1. caslu

caslu Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Like many, I haven't felt this series was really living up to its potential but IMHO this was the best episode since the pilot... in fact, I probably liked it even more than the pilot.

Lots of action, an interesting plot, sufficient character development and a not too clumsy tie-in with the movies. It was all well balanced and nicely done, so more like this please.

2. Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    !Texas
    And if I'm not mistaken, a Dollhouse call back at the end. "did I fall asleep?"

3. TonyD79

TonyD79 Active Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    I think I agree. =)

4. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    The quality of the show has steadily increased, and my expectations have steadily decreased, to the point where they've pretty much met in the middle and I can enjoy it with minimal sighs over what it could have been.

5. Philosofy

Philosofy Super Duper Member

Feb 21, 2000
    Valparaiso,...
    That last scene was a surprise, given the tone of the series so far. It might evolve into a more serious drama.

6. Mars Rocket

Mars Rocket Loosely wound

Mar 24, 2000
    Sinnoh region
    I think I'm right with you. After the first two eps I thought it was pretty stupid, didn't watch for several weeks, then I caught up in a marathon session last weekend and now I kind of like it.

7. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I like it but I went in with the expectation that it wasn't going to be about the Avengers every week.

I'm seeing the characters develop and I liked Peter MacNicol as an Asgardian.
    And the women mooning over Thor.

[Ben Grimm]
    Thor?
    Oh boy.
    The Fabio of the superhero set
    [/Ben Grimm]

8. Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy Active Member

Jan 19, 2005
    high desert...
    Yet the ratings have steadily decreased. I'll be interested to see what they are this week. I'm expecting them to level off soon, but not so far. :(

9. caslu

caslu Member

Jun 24, 2003
    I was wracking my brains trying to figure out where I'd heard that before... thanks!

10. zordude

zordude WDW Fan TCF Club

Sep 23, 2003
    Malden, MA
    I think that saying that this weeks episode had a tie in to the Thor movie, then that tie in just being a 2 minute scene of people looking at mangled metal was a little weak.

Overall I thought it was one of the best episodes yet.

11. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Well, that and the fact that there was an Asgardian god, and the plot revolved around Asgardian "technology"...

I like that they're tying it in more tightly with the movie world, but their brief has always been "ordinary people in an extraordinary world," and I think they're striking a pretty good balance right now.

12. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Plus, let's face it, not all the SHIELD viewers have seen the new movie. They don't want to tie the episode *too* tightly to the movie, and risk people being confused if they haven't seen the movie yet.

13. Ereth

Ereth Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Jacksonville...
    As soon as he said that, I just KNEW she was going to say "For a little while". I'm in the tiny percentage who loved Dollhouse, so it was quite a treat.

I was disappointed there wasn't a better movie tie-in, though.

14. FrodoB

FrodoB Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Middleton, WI
    We haven't yet seen Thor 2. Sounds like not having seen it, we'd be okay to watch the episode from a lack of confusion standpoint, but would people generally recommend seeing Thor 2 (which is a given for us; we just haven't done it yet) before watching this ep?

15. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Doesn't really matter one way or the other. It follows more from Avengers, but even there all you need to know is what they explain...that there was an alien invasion that left a mess behind it.

16. Ereth

Ereth Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Jacksonville...
    There's one tiny clip, but it's in the Thor 2 previews, too. And the fact that at least some of Thor 2 occurs in London is mentioned.

But, really, no. The only true tie to the movie is that the team is there to literally clean up the mess left behind by the kind of battles you normally see in superhero movies, and ensure no alien artifacts end up in the wrong hands.

17. martinp13

martinp13 YHTBMABIITY

Mar 19, 2001
    Fort Worth, TX
    My favorite quote from this episode was "You know, it'd be nice if for once Thor and his people sent down the God of Cleaning Up After Yourself. They probably have a magic broom for this kind of thing." :)

18. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Active Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    "For a little while"
    :D Yeah, definite callback.

Also "It's a magical place" seems like another conditioned response from Coleson. I don't think anyone (himself included) has mentioned Tahiti without him following up with that phrase.

19. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Although we know how well THAT works out! :D

20. john4200

john4200 Active Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Be serious, stop your mickey mousing. ;)