TiVo Community Forum banner
  • TiVoCommunity.com Ambassador Program Now Open! >>> Click Here

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D - S01E12 "Seeds" - 1/14/2014

5K views 39 replies 19 participants last post by  Loach 
#1 ·
WTF? So how many open storylines do we have now?

• Centipede/Gunn
  • Skye/084
  • Coulson and the freaky brain spider
  • Ice boy

So far it really seems like something important happens every episode. I wonder how long this pace can keep up. Sure there are a lot of dumb things (hover jet), but so far I can look past that.

#2 ·
When did we see Quinn before and what was he doing? Was he the guy in the episode with the device that made gravity all screwy?

Oh, that's another two storylines to add to the list above: Quinn and his ventures, and then the gravity thingy that they stuck in the Sandbox (or some other hidey-hole) that apparently has the scientist embedded in the middle of it, but still alive.

#3 ·
When did we see Quinn before and what was he doing? Was he the guy in the episode with the device that made gravity all screwy?

Oh, that's another two storylines to add to the list above: Quinn and his ventures, and then the gravity thingy that they stuck in the Sandbox (or some other hidey-hole) that apparently has the scientist embedded in the middle of it, but still alive.
The actor who plays Quinn also played Gunn on the show Angel.

#5 ·
It seems like they never resolve anything, they just leave it open for the future. At least that's the way it feels.

And the whole idea that they froze the pool so that Fits/Simmons would be the ones investigating and just happened to know how to fix the power problem in one look was so ridiculous that my eye muscled sprained from so much rolling.

#6 ·
It seems like they never resolve anything, they just leave it open for the future. At least that's the way it feels.

And the whole idea that they froze the pool so that Fits/Simmons would be the ones investigating and just happened to know how to fix the power problem in one look was so ridiculous that my eye muscled sprained from so much rolling.
This is an example of one of the dumb things that I'll overlook because I find the entertainment value of the show so high.

I think the storyline I am most interested in right now is the Skye/084 one. I haven't kept up on the Marvel comics universe, but I have heard that they are trying to retcon all mutants to be Inhumans so that they can use them in the Disney owned franchises. I wonder if Skye will end up being that discovery in the TV universe.

#7 ·
The device they used to freeze the pool was something Fitz had created when he was at the academy, so it's not entirely ridiculous that he would be brought back to look into it.

I think the idea with the show is to create a ton of plotlines and bring them back up as they need stories. I don't think you'll see too many that are completely closed down. It's very like a comic that way :)

#8 ·
I haven't kept up on the Marvel comics universe, but I have heard that they are trying to retcon all mutants to be Inhumans so that they can use them in the Disney owned franchises.
No, they're just expanding the Inhumans so they'll have a big pool of mutant-like characters they can use.

(For those who care, the Inhumans are a group of genetically-altered humans created by an alien species millennia ago to serve as soldiers. Abandoned on Earth, when they come of age they are exposed to Terrigen Mists, which trigger a mutation in them that is different for every person. Recently, the Inhuman ruler exploded a Terrigen Mist bomb that spread the Mists throughout the world, triggering Inhuman mutations in everybody who is a descendent of Inhumans, who apparently have gotten busy with normal humans across the centuries often enough that there are a LOT of descendents around. So the X-Men and other Marvel mutants aren't being retconned as Inhumans; they're just making more "mutants" who aren't really mutants.)

#9 ·
I just can't get past how this device froze all moisture in the area, but the water that froze around the guys leg was only frozen on the top (and didn't freeze the water in the tissue of his leg) and it broke way too easily with a couple of pokes from a little pole.

and yet I had no problem that the device exists in the first place.

#15 ·
I think about 3/4 of this show is sailing right over my head, since I came in with no knowledge, and not even a lot of interest in any of this stuff. But it's still good. Probably if I had watched all the previous stuff, it would be better.

Thanks for the explanation of the Inhumans--that actually makes sense, which worries me a little. ;)

#17 ·
No, they're just expanding the Inhumans so they'll have a big pool of mutant-like characters they can use.

(For those who care, the Inhumans are a group of genetically-altered humans created by an alien species millennia ago to serve as soldiers. Abandoned on Earth, when they come of age they are exposed to Terrigen Mists, which trigger a mutation in them that is different for every person. Recently, the Inhuman ruler exploded a Terrigen Mist bomb that spread the Mists throughout the world, triggering Inhuman mutations in everybody who is a descendent of Inhumans, who apparently have gotten busy with normal humans across the centuries often enough that there are a LOT of descendents around. So the X-Men and other Marvel mutants aren't being retconned as Inhumans; they're just making more "mutants" who aren't really mutants.)
But wouldn't the Inhumans' rights fall under the Fantastic Four license anyways?

(I honestly don't get the need for Inhumanity anyways. Mutants aren't good enough for Marvel anymore?)

In the case of this episode, too much knowledge meant that I never believed that Donnie was innocent as I know who Donnie Gill is in the comics.
Still, it was interesting seeing the science academy.
(And don't think I didn't notice Skye picking out Bucky Barnes' plaque.)

Oh, and Skye is obviously the daughter of Thanos.
Either that or she's Peter Quill's sister.

#18 ·
But wouldn't the Inhumans' rights fall under the Fantastic Four license anyways?
No, the Inhumans are a distinct property, with several independent series of their own. Fox could probably use the Inhumans, but they don't control them (much like Quicksilver, who will be in both the next X-Men movie and the next Avengers).
(I honestly don't get the need for Inhumanity anyways. Mutants aren't good enough for Marvel anymore?)
I don't know how the contracts are worded, but Marvel can't use mutants in their movies (Quicksilver will no doubt appear as an Avenger, not as a mutant). So by making Inhumans surrogates for mutants, Marvel can start using mutant-like characters in their films. Mutants are plenty good for Marvel; that's why they need a trick to get them (or something exactly like them) into their movies.

#19 ·
No, the Inhumans are a distinct property, with several independent series of their own. Fox could probably use the Inhumans, but they don't control them (much like Quicksilver, who will be in both the next X-Men movie and the next Avengers).
Huh, I thought that they were like the Silver Surfer and Galactus as being part of the FF contract.

Inhumanity certainly screams of "we need more mutants who aren't really mutants".
I suspect it will become a hot mess like the X-Books have.

I don't know how the contracts are worded, but Marvel can't use mutants in their movies (Quicksilver will no doubt appear as an Avenger, not as a mutant). So by making Inhumans surrogates for mutants, Marvel can start using mutant-like characters in their films. Mutants are plenty good for Marvel; that's why they need a trick to get them (or something exactly like them) into their movies.
Kind of dumb of Marvel to let Fox have a lock on "mutant", especially since they got sued over Mutant X.

I just find all of this a bit odd when you consider that both the Fantastic Four and Spider-Man appeared in Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes.

#21 ·
Huh, I thought that they were like the Silver Surfer and Galactus as being part of the FF contract.
Obviously not exclusively, in the same way Quicksilver & the Scarlet Witch were part of the X-Men contract but can also be used in the Avengers movies. I wonder if either Fox or Marvel could make a Silver Surfer movie, since both companies probably have a claim to the character...unless exclusivity is spelled out in the contract.

Contracts are weird. Especially contracts written by a company in bankruptcy and desperate for money at a time when superhero movies are anathema. Obviously, Marvel wishes they could turn back time on the X-Men, FF, and Spidey contracts. Or at least shoot the grandfathers of the long-gone executives who signed them, cashed their severance checks, and moved on to bigger things.

#23 ·

Inhumanity certainly screams of "we need more mutants who aren't really mutants".
I suspect it will become a hot mess like the X-Books have.

Kind of dumb of Marvel to let Fox have a lock on "mutant", especially since they got sued over Mutant X.

I just find all of this a bit odd when you consider that both the Fantastic Four and Spider-Man appeared in Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes.
The animation rights are considered separate from the live action rights.

#25 ·
Although that's also a down side...e.g., Superman, where movies get made to keep the contract active whether they're ready to go or not. X-Men seems to sometimes fall prey to this syndrome.
When did that happen? There was an awful long time between Superman IV (which now, thankfully, is not in continuity) and Superman Returns. And it doesn't appear that Man of Steel was rushed.

#26 ·
...much like Quicksilver, who will be in both the next X-Men movie and the next Avengers...
I haven't kept up with this like you have and I'm curious... will Quicksilver be played by the same actor in both of those movies?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.