1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D - S01E11 "The Magical Place" - 1/7/2014

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by DancnDude, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Jan 8, 2014 #1 of 33
    DancnDude

DancnDude Thrice as nice TCF Club

Feb 7, 2001
    Madison, WI
    So we finally get a little backstory but as it ends up, we still really don't have much information about what happened to Coulson. We do know he wasn't really in Tahiti, which was really just them messing with his brain to help him forget all the nasty surgeries that they performed on him. So why really was he so important that they needed to rebuild(?) him?

It was interesting and entertaining though. I liked how Skye made a lot of progress on the outside but it was really pretty predictable that May wanted to get her off the plane based on the wording.

2. Jan 8, 2014 #2 of 33
    morac

morac Cat God

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    If it turns out they "simply" revived him after him being dead for a few days and the big mystery is that "he gave up on life", that would seem like a major cop-out. I hope that's not the whole story and that he's a clone or had his brain transplanted into a new body or something.

3. Jan 8, 2014 #3 of 33
    ehusen

ehusen Geek not Nerd

Jan 7, 2002
    Chicago Suburbs
    The impression I got from Ron Glass' character "confession" was that at some point Coulson become something horrible or evil. I'm guess he did some awful things and they don't want him to remember those things. Maybe he was saying just let me die because he couldn't live with the awful things he had done.

So yeah, we get "some answers" but really just more questions. I hope they don't run the mystery for the entire show run. I lost interest in the Xfiles way back when since they did the same thing, milking the mystery until I just didn't care to find out anymore.

And who else figured out that Gunn wasn't really dead before the big reveal? :)

(Hmmm, maybe I should actually learn the character names instead of referring to roles they used to play...)

4. Jan 8, 2014 #4 of 33
    DancnDude

Feb 7, 2001
    Madison, WI
    I can't imagine him being a great candidate for that program with only one good leg. Maybe they'll give him an artificial one at some point. I guess they'll take anybody with a centipede already embedded in them.

5. Jan 8, 2014 #5 of 33
    RGM1138

RGM1138 I wanna Rock

Oct 6, 1999
    Gulfport, MS
    I only casually watch this show. Every time I see the 6 engine jet with the VTOL capability, it just cracks me up.

I wonder how much they had to pay Samuel L. for his "cameo"?

6. Jan 8, 2014 #6 of 33
    morac

morac Cat God

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    Considering Shield has a flying/hovering aircraft carrier held up with 4 jet fans, I let the jet's VTOL abilities slide. ;)

I was thinking it wasn't really him. They darkened half his face, so it was hard to make out whether it was really Sam Jackson or not. Then again he had a true cameo earlier in the season so who knows.

Speaking of cameos (not really a spoiler, but to be safe).
    Stan Lee will cameo in an episode in February.

7. Jan 8, 2014 #7 of 33
    Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Active Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    But using the VTOL was still a silly way to make a U-turn.
    It's not like they were braking to make fighers or missiles overshoot, they just needed to turn around and head to a different destination.

8. Jan 8, 2014 #8 of 33
    Ereth

Ereth Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Jacksonville...
    I think the bigger question is - since he's not an LMD or something really techy, but instead was simply repaired and brought back to life by a scary looking robot activating his brain continuously... wouldn't that mean that it's not unique to Coulson and we now have a means of bringing pretty much anybody back to life, at least as long as their brain is mostly intact?

What are the implications of that? (though I suppose it is consistent with "nobody ever stays dead in comics").

9. Jan 8, 2014 #9 of 33
    Philosofy

Philosofy Super Duper Member

Feb 21, 2000
    Valparaiso,...
    I'm guessing the cosmic cube, i.e. Tesseract, had something to do with it. And I'm convinced now that Skye is Melinda's daughter.

10. ehusen

ehusen Geek not Nerd

Jan 7, 2002
    Chicago Suburbs
    So true. Yeah I'm being pedantic but it would probably take longer to slow down to hover, rotate, and then speed up again vs. just a hard banking turn.

Heck, tilt the plane 90 degrees and bank hard at about 3 Gs would have been more exciting.

Clearly just put in to look "cool" and for me it was actually a little offputting. Oh well, still enjoy the show. It's no Firefly but I'm still in for the duration. It has the Whedon name on it so I must follow...

11. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Active Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    Interesting.
    Based on the new info from this episode I was leaning more towards her possibly being Coulson's daughter; with his girlfriend(?); the one SHIELD lied to about him having died (you know, back before he actually died and went to 'Tahiti')

12. DancnDude

Feb 7, 2001
    Madison, WI
    We only saw the last operation, the one that covers up his lost will to live with memories of Tahiti with that brain robot thing. The doctor said there were like 7 previous surgeries, which could have really been anything. Supposedly they were scary ones and doesn't really rule out anything IMO.

13. Azlen

Azlen Active Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Peoria, AZ
    And then she becomes an Asian pop star.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNUvqIsYo7k[/media]

14. kdmorse

kdmorse Active Member

Jan 29, 2001
    Germantown, MD
    The whole thing was a poor imitation of a Firefly class transport pulling a Crazy Ivan - without any of the sense of danger, urgency, or.. well.. acting...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3rX0T2XNxs[/media]

15. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    Here's a screenshot of one of the things in Coulson's flashback... it looks like it could have been some kind of alien artifact tech that was used in his revival. Anybody recognize it as anything in particular?

[​IMG]

16. TonyD79

TonyD79 Active Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Decent episode but if the clairvoyant can read the President's mind, why need Colson? Just read the memories of the doctor(s) involved? As for the full mystery of Colson, anything that reveals the truth will be a letdown. (see the origin if wolverine) Keep it a partial mystery. Answers aren't always the answer.

17. Mars Rocket

Mars Rocket Loosely wound

Mar 24, 2000
    Sinnoh region
    I got the impression May was doing that to annoy their passengers. Weren't the other SHIELD people still on board at that point?

18. markz

markz Hilarity Ensues

Oct 22, 2002
    Connersville...
    Exactly what I thought while watching it.

19. Philosofy

Philosofy Super Duper Member

Feb 21, 2000
    Valparaiso,...
    Looking at that, and seeing her IMDB bio, I'm more convinced of it. She is half Chinese, and they must have made that casting decision on purpose.

20. Loach

Loach New Member

Jan 11, 2013
    Omaha, NE
    Thanks. I was having a difficult enough time taking her character seriously and now this is tattooed on my brain. :eek: