1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. 9/24/2013 (S01E01) "Pilot"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by dswallow, Sep 24, 2013.

1. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TC Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Seems like the writers are having fun making jokes about themselves. Loved the comment about trying too hard to spell out S.H.I.E.L.D. There were a couple other things like that which are slipping my mind right now.

The show looks promising.
  2. gossamer88

gossamer88 HDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    I liked it too. But Heroes keeps popping into my head.
  3. Ereth

Ereth Active Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Will you join us for our Journey into Mystery?

How awesome was that?
  4. TonyD79

TonyD79 Active Member

Jan 4, 2002
    So so. Doesn't feel like SHIELD.
  5. vertigo235

vertigo235 Active Member

Oct 27, 2000
    I liked it.

I'm in.
  6. Peter000

Peter000 Active Member TC Club

Apr 15, 2002
    I liked it well enough to keep the season pass.

Plenty of snappy funny dialog, gadgets and action. Not to mention beautiful people.

Favorite lines...
    "With Great power comes… a ton of weird crap that you are not prepared to deal with."
    "Nobody is Nobody."
  7. morac

morac Cat God

Mar 14, 2003
    It didn't live up to the hype, but I enjoyed it enough to keep a season pass.

So who else thinks that Agent Coulson is a clone?
  8. atrac

atrac New Member

Feb 27, 2002
    I was prepared to type both sentences but you've saved me the trouble. :)
  9. Unbeliever

Unbeliever Random Nobody

Feb 3, 2001
    If this were the real Coulson the Collector, he would have kept the car absolutely stock and not tricked it out.

I'm also surprised they let them film at Union Station (that was the Patsaouras Plaza side). It's not an un-busy place.

--Carlos V.
  10. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Very much a pilot episode. Lots of exposition, lots of time spent introducing the main characters, only a little bit of attention to a very slight plot-of-the-week that only served to show "this is the kind of thing you'll see in future weeks."

Definitely enough there to keep me watching. I like the very self-aware writing; the show knows that a comic book world is on the silly side and embraces that.

Only thing I kept thinking at the end: "Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads."
  11. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    I was a tad disappointed that J. August Richards wasn't playing Luke Cage but I thought that the show was fun.

We'll see where this goes.
  12. Ment

Ment Active Member

Mar 27, 2008
    hot brunette..hot brunette...hot brunette ..guess hot blonde must be a power. :)

Hope they keep the dialogue style going and the series doesn't start going the 'lets make our voices low and raspy so we cab show we're serious' route.
  13. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TC Club

Oct 17, 2000
    I love Bleeding Cool's "Ten Thoughts" articles (originally "About Doctor Who," but they've been branching out).

"This is the superhero story that has its cake, eats it and then smears the frosting all over its breasts while singing showtunes from the eighties."

[YT="This Season on Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D."]vkKiXBJmPfs[/YT]

Which reminds me of how hilarious Coulson was coming out of the shadows. "There's a bulb out."
  14. jeepair

jeepair New Member

Apr 21, 2004
    I thought it was ok and will probably continue to watch for awhile, but the back to the future scene was crazy. I almost cancelled my recording at that point.
  15. BrettStah

BrettStah Active Member TC Club

Nov 12, 2000
    I kept thinking that the brunette computer hacker looked like Eliza Dushku, and wondered why Whedon didn't just hire her. Not complaining about the actress in the role, but Whedon often hires past actors/actresses he's worked with.
  16. loubob57

loubob57 Cancer sucks! TC Club

Mar 19, 2001
    "He can never know..."

Wasn't blown away by the pilot episode, but I liked it. I think it will grow on us.
  17. zordude

zordude WDW Fan TC Club

Sep 23, 2003
    What happened at the very end? Last thing I saw, Coulson said "it means we only have 10 minutes...."

I thought it was OK overall. Not sure if I am a fan of bringing Extremis in as a story arc, I feel like we just had that story told.

The supernerds that are experts at everything including all forms of technology and biology was a little over the top for me.

Loved seeing Ron Glass. Awesome that Whedon got one of his alumni in the first ep :)
  18. zordude

zordude WDW Fan TC Club

Sep 23, 2003
    There were a references to Figi, seems like it is the backstory they use when they grow a new clone of someone or something.

Were we supposed to recognize the name (in the Marvel universe) of the agent that was the pilot, or is that just a backstory that will unfold on-screen.
  19. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Two. J. August Richards was on "Angel," and Ron Glass was on "Firefly" and "Serenity."
  20. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TC Club

Oct 17, 2000
    If Eliza Dushku were ten years younger and Asian and probably a lot cheaper... ;)

For those who think Coulson is a clone, Google LMD.