1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. 10/22/2013 (S01E05) "The Girl in the Flower Dress"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by terpfan1980, Oct 22, 2013.

1. terpfan1980

terpfan1980 It's Just TV TCF Club

Jan 28, 2002
    Xbox Live:...
    So we move along on what Skye's motivation is. Interesting.

And we get to see Extremis and experimentation with same again.

Hopefully this series is hitting it's stride. Hopefully.

2. wedgecon

wedgecon Just Plain Awesome

Dec 28, 2002
    Buena Park, CA
    I liked this episode and last weeks. I hope they can keep it up.

The actors are starting to mesh better and the stories are getting better. First seasons can be tough even for good shows....case in point Star Trek The Next Generation, I can not watch most of the first season anymore.

3. NJChris

NJChris Kermie Loves Elmo

May 11, 2001
    Riverdale,...
    Definitely has gotten better. Poor Scorch....

I wonder if her BF will be an issue later on. he has a beard so he could be evil.

4. sean67854

sean67854 Why?

Jul 11, 2001
    Wouldn't...
    Is that the whole deal with Skye? if so, is the Coulson thing the only outstanding mystery?

5. MikeCC

MikeCC TiVotee

Jun 19, 2004
    I thought the repeated references to the floral dresses worn by Evil Manipulating Woman were anvils to the viewer... though what that means, I ain't sure...

Floral dresses are a sign of a soulless *****? The Floral patterns emit some sexual lure that renders men helpless and malleable? (Hell, most guys are extremely malleable and compliant when an attractive woman pays attention to them..)

6. NoThru22

NoThru22 Smelly Pirate Hooker

May 6, 2005
    Bel Air, MD
    Did you miss the part where her parents identities are so top secret that they were redacted by Shield?

Also, Melinda May's backstory needs to be told.

I'm calling it now: Skye's parents, Coulson and May.

7. Loach

Loach New Member

Jan 11, 2013
    Omaha, NE
    As a parent, the post-sex scene with Skye and her boyfriend was very disappointing to me. It was completely gratuitous, not to mention the acting during that scene was horrendous. I was hoping this series would be safe to watch with young teens/tweens. Guess maybe not. Not sure how this episode rated TV-PG. I guess nearly naked women are just the norm these days.

That aside, I think this was the weakest episode so far. Not sure why but it just didn't keep my attention like the other episodes did. Maybe it was the acting as a whole - didn't think the Scorch guy was very good and the villains were not very interesting.

8. lambertman

lambertman To see you, Nice

Dec 20, 2002
    Indianapolis...
    I was angry at the scene of Skye in her underwear, because the local affiliate covered it up with a lower-thirds promo for their third-place 11 o'clock news.

9. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    I guess it's a good thing for your kids that there's no beach in Omaha.

10. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Or TV commercials, or billboards, or magazine covers...

11. Loach

Loach New Member

Jan 11, 2013
    Omaha, NE
    It's not just the scant clothing. It's the sexual context in a 7:00 show targeted at family viewers. So why wasn't the program rated TV14? Why does the TV14 rating even exist?

And by the way, Skye is not really even hot enough to pull off that clothing.

12. danterner

danterner Not it!

Mar 4, 2005
    Greenacres, FL
    I spent far too much time (okay, a few seconds) trying to figure out the WWII/Normandy Invasion reference before I thought to check where Loach is from.

13. trainman

trainman Nice to see you

Jan 29, 2001
    Sherman...
    Personally, I'd be more worried about kids watching the scene of the doctor being engulfed in flames than anything else in this episode, although this probably isn't a good place for that debate.

Did I see correctly that the boyfriend uploaded a file with an .mp4 extension into the Austin traffic light system?

14. stellie93

stellie93 Active Member

Feb 25, 2006
    Ok, now I feel better--that was my first thought too. :D

15. Ereth

Ereth Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Jacksonville...
    I really thought they were about to give us Sunfire, that would have been an interesting dip into the Marvel well, and I'm kind of disappointed they didn't go that way.

16. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    They probably can't...he's an X-Men character, and thus outside Marvel's control for movies/TV.

17. john4200

john4200 Active Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Yup, I noticed that, too. And just now I noticed that it is "Playable" as well. :D Also notice that it has nice context checking to see if the power grid is up before it executes, and if the power grid is down, it cleverly powers up the grid first. :cool:

BTW, Coulson should have jumped out of his car and chased the guy on foot. If there was really gridlock, it should not be that hard.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Ereth

Ereth Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Jacksonville...
    He's only ancillarily an X-men character, isn't he? Sure he was with the team briefly, but he was in Sub-Mariner and Iron Man, too.

How broadly is the license to Sony written? Anybody who was ever an X-man is licensed away?

19. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    He's a mutant, he was created in the X-Men comic, he was a member of the team, and he has been associated with them for over 40 years despite the occasional guest appearances elsewhere. So I'd guess he wouldn't even be considered a borderline case.

20. Ereth

Ereth Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Jacksonville...
    If I'm not mistaken, EVERYBODY in the Marvel Universe is a mutant now. Bruce Banner became the Hulk because the gamma radiation reacted with his mutation. Spider-Man became Spider-man because the radioactive spider reacted with his mutation.

I get your bigger point, though. I guess I just never really associated him with X-men that strongly, but I do know that Roy Thomas created him in the X-Men. Wolverine was created in the Hulk, though. ;)