1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aereo: Can't Beat 'em, Join 'em!

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Emacee, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Aug 5, 2013 #1 of 26
    Emacee

Emacee New Member

Dec 15, 2000
    Philadelphia...
    There are discussions about Aereo as a "threat" to Tivo. My question is: Has Tivo looked at working with and supporting Aereo. Tivo supports other streaming services: Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, Xfinity. It seems like Tivo's functionality would work with Aereo, as well. Why fight it? Why not offer an additional option to Tivo users?

Does anyone have any information on whether Tivo is talking to Aereo?

2. Aug 5, 2013 #2 of 26
    aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    No but it seems like a no brainer since some Tivo units don't support OTA. I think Aereo needs to do some significant expanding first. Tivo doesn't have many subscribers as it is. The number of people with both Tivo and Aereo is probably very very tiny.

3. Aug 5, 2013 #3 of 26
    unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If Aereo can "re-transmit" OTA signals without having to pay the broadcast station anything, shouldn't that provide legal precedent to do away with the current TWC-CBS mess?

In both cases, someone who lives in the area covered by the broadcaster is paying someone else to handle their "antenna-ing" for them.

4. Aug 5, 2013 #4 of 26
    dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Near...
    Yep. What do you do when someone takes what you're giving away free and then sells it to third parties? One thing that might justify retransmission fees is if the Cable Cos are inserting their own commercials. Do they do that?

5. Aug 5, 2013 #5 of 26
    atmuscarella

atmuscarella Active Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    No the cable companies cannot insert their own commercials. The law was pretty one side in the TV station's favor. It basically allowed the TV Station to decide if they were going to force the cable company to rebroadcast their station or try and get the cable company to pay them for the right to rebroadcast, at the same time the cable company was not allowed to bring in an out of market station broadcasting the same network, thus preventing any competition.

In any event anytime a cable/satellite company has to pay more for any channel there is a near 100% assurance that over time that cost is past to the consumer. If CBS gets what they want ABC, NBC, & FOX will follow and of course they will up the costs to other cable and satellite companies as soon as possible.

6. Aug 5, 2013 #6 of 26
    MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    There's no point in a merger except to get a programming source for TiVo.

Aereo is doing the DVR in the cloud. There's no need to add DVR in a DVR. There's no value add there.

7. Aug 5, 2013 #7 of 26
    atmuscarella

atmuscarella Active Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    I would think there would be value for both TiVo, Aereo and their customers if TiVo's DVRs had the ability to stream and/or record the OTA content being provided through the Aereo service.

8. Aug 5, 2013 #8 of 26
    mr_smits

mr_smits New Member

Dec 17, 2009

Aereo would provide HD quality broadcast channels to Tivo users -- no need for them to buy, install, and tweak settings with their own antenna.

It could also help Tivo move to a cloud based DVR system -- or it could be a transition point allowing Tivo users to slingbox style view from away from home. Meaning no need to transfer Tivo shows to an iPad or laptop; you could stream recordings from home as you want.

I think Tivo + Aereo could be a good thing; however, Aereo is going to be bought quickly by a major player. Most likely, it will be Dish.

9. Aug 5, 2013 #9 of 26
    Emacee

Emacee New Member

Dec 15, 2000
    Philadelphia...
    I guess my original post led some to think "merger." I wasn't thinking of that (although it's always a possibility). I was thinking Tivo should support Aereo streaming as it does Netflix or Amazon (and has not merged with either of them). And except for the newer four-tuner model and the DirecTV model, Tivos do support OTA. Seems like Aereo might offer some advantages over an in-house (or on-house) antenna.

10. shwru980r

shwru980r Active Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Many customers could just hook up a cheap indoor antenna to their TV and pick up a few over the air channels.

11. MikeAndrews

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    :D I think we can be pretty sure that those customers are not the Aereo subcribers.

12. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I know you have quotes there, but to explain for others, Aereo's own argument is that they have a separate antenna for EACH subscriber, so their argument is that they are not re-transmitting, they are (now my words) renting you an antenna.

13. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Um, no way - Tivo does everything it can to avoid pissing off the content creators and providers (not to mention getting in bed with the MSOs), there's no way they're going to take on the controversy that is Aereo right now.

14. mr_smits

mr_smits New Member

Dec 17, 2009
    I believe there are a few more court battles, and then Aereo is free to thrive. Disruptive companies are always fun to watch.

15. marrone

marrone Phased Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Melbourne, FL
    I hope they come to the Orlando area. Since I went cable & dish free, my wife has been griping abotu live TV...specifically she couldn't watch The Bachelorette Finale live last night...couldn't wait a day or two to be on hulu. WAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!

Aereo would have solved that problem.

For anyone who receives Orlando Stations, please go to Aereo and click on the service area request, and request Orlando!

I'm looking at getting an antenna right now, but I'm so far away from the transmitters it will be difficult.

Thanks
    -Mike

16. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Near...
    Either of these websites will help in your antenna choice:
    antennaweb.org
    tvfool.com

Primary issues you need to consider:
    1. Are any desired stations VHF (vs. more common UHF)? VHF requires larger antenna elements like the old rabbit ears.
    2. Can you use a directional antenna or do you need an omni-directional one.? Directional gives you more bang per size and buck IF all your desired stations are in one direction.
    3. Will an indoor antenna suffice? Depends on height, obstructions and (most important) distance to towers.

In most cases antenna amplifiers are not the answer to poor signal, because they amplify the noise as well as the signal.

17. MikeAndrews

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    I may need a tower, so my main problem is I need a way to find an antenna contractor.

18. marrone

marrone Phased Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Melbourne, FL
    Well I got two antennas, have to return one since it didn't work well.

I can now get most local channels, with the exception of my NBC affiliate. (I really don't care about the OTA shopping channels).

But I also haven't played with directionalizing it much.

-Mike

19. mr_smits

mr_smits New Member

Dec 17, 2009
    What did you go with?

20. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Active Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Right. And this was affirmed by a recent ruling, that so long as it was the viewer's antenna, whether it was on his roof connected with coax or if the signal was being sent to him via internet, it made NO DIFFERENCE. Aero is on solid legal foundation now. The ruling concludes it is LEGAL. This will never go to the Supreme Court.

This is contrast to haw cable and sat distribute their OTA local channels. They get the signal from the TV studios Master Control or from a single antenna strategically placed, and there is no attempt or means to make the stream PRIVATE, that and the separate laws that govern sat and cable on the terms of accessing and retransmitting of OTA's leave it in the position of paying for retransmission fees, unless a station opts for Must Carry, but any station with any value programming is going to chose to negotiate for retransmission fees.

However, I can see the sat and cable companies having meetings on setting up their own Aero type farms or services and could very well free themselves from the burden of retransmission fees, but that won't be for a while yet.