1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advertising insertion in re-runs

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Idearat, Sep 23, 2012.

1. Idearat

Idearat New Member

Nov 26, 2000
    I'd heard about this being done before, like putting a brand name soda label over a generic can, but I just saw an ad inserted in a re-run of How I Met Your Mother that kinda jumped out at me.

I was watching an episode from 2008, "The Bracket". Barney's on the sidewalk taking to someone, Lily I think, and behind them is a wall with posters advertising Looper. Considering the movie isn't out yet, it was a little jarring. That's when I checked and saw it was an episode from 2008. Searching online showed that HIMYM had featured this type of digital ad insertion before.

There's been a few times watching a show that I thought a particular product showed up a little too perfect, clear or aimed at the camera, but this was the first time I'd seen one that was pretty obvious, and for a product that didn't exist at the time the show was filmed.

When watching older shows I tend to read bilboards or movie marquees in the background as they will often place the show at a particular time. As long as this only shows up in sitcom re-runs I'm not bothered by it. If they have Marilyn going to see The Hobbit in Seven Year Itch though I'll be pretty annoyed.
  2. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    This was discussed in an old thread on here somewhere.

It is a pretty cool. I'm surprised it's not being used more.
  3. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001

I've never heard of this before. Pretty interesting.