1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advantages to using mini vs Premier?

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by Gregg 00SS, Mar 28, 2014.

1. Gregg 00SS

Gregg 00SS New Member

Aug 25, 2005
    I currently own a Tivo Premier which is hooked up in my living room. Moving to a new house and planning on getting a Roamio Plus for the living room and now debating on what to do for the bedroom. Have read a bunch of threads and it looks like my Premier can be hooked up to the Roamio via my network and I'll be able to access movies stored on either from both machines. With that said, is there any advantage to getting a mini and using that in the bedroom instead of my Premier?

2. zalusky

zalusky Active Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    Mini is faster
    With a Mini you do not pay for additional cable cards
    With a Mini you have single seasonpass and todo list / single now playing list
    A mini has no disk drive to fail
    A mini is cheaper especially if you sell your premier
    A mini has a smaller footprint
    You can have lots of Minis without having to have additional coax drops.
    A mini will most likely have a longer software upgrade cycle

3. tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Active Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    Advantages of the Mini are that the monthly (and lifetime) service fee is lower than the Premiere and you don't have to pay your cable company for a second CableCard/outlet fee. Users also report that the interface on the Mini is faster than on the Premiere. The advantages of the Premiere are that you aren't dependent on stability and reliability of your ethernet or moca network to receive live TV and recordings from the Roamio and you would have more tuners to be able to record more things at one time (though I doubt very many people really require more than 6 tuners at once).

4. mack1951

mack1951 New Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Only advantage I can see to the mini is you would not need a cable card for the mini, disadvantage would be losing the record space on the premier when watching live on the mini losing a tuner on the Roamio.

5. eboydog

eboydog Just TiVo'ing.....

Mar 23, 2006
    A big difference too is that you can watch protected content with the Mini that otherwise you can't transfer in between regular hard drive TiVo's including Amazon movie rentals/purchases which I just became aware of (you have to use the iPad app in order to do so though as you can't play it with the regular remote control). However I'm not so sure that you may need the external Stream box if have the Roamio basic.

This is a big deal if you subscribe to premium movie channels and your cable provider sets the copy once protection flag.

6. Bigg

Bigg Active Member

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    You can stream HBO shows from one Premiere or Roamio to another...

You avoid having additional Cable Cards by only having one main DVR...

7. jcthorne

jcthorne Active Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    This works the same for a Premiere or Mini. Both can stream from the Roamio. Any Roamio including the basic model.

8. Loach

Loach New Member

Jan 11, 2013
    Omaha, NE
    Another pro for Mini in a bedroom - with no hard drive/fan, it is silent.

9. cr33p

cr33p New Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Ann Arbor MI
    A mini only uses about 5 watts of power that's roughly 1/4 that of a premiere.