1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advantages of a Series3?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by headless chicken, Sep 3, 2012.

1. Sep 3, 2012 #1 of 21
    headless chicken

headless chicken Member

Oct 8, 2004
    So I'm thinking of selling my 1 TB upgraded Series3 for an XL4. Are there any advantages or exclusives to the Series3 that I'd be giving up? The only thing that comes to mind is that the S3 is the only model to display the name of the shows recording on the front OLED panel display.

2. Sep 3, 2012 #2 of 21
    unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    There appear to be those of the opinion that the over the air tuners on that model are superior to those on the various Series 4 models.

See if TiVo will sell you a lifetime sub for that S3 for $99 if you buy an S4.

Ask them before you buy, while you have leverage.

If so, that increases the resale value of the S3 more than $100 worth, since if someone can't get the deal they have to pay $400 or $500 for lifetime.

3. Sep 4, 2012 #3 of 21
    headless chicken

headless chicken Member

Oct 8, 2004
    I have lifetime on the Series3. What should I be asking for it?

4. Sep 4, 2012 #4 of 21
    unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    That depends on whether you're selling it to me or just to some stranger.

:D

5. Sep 4, 2012 #5 of 21
    pmiranda

pmiranda New Member

Feb 12, 2003
    Austin, TX
    The S3 is hackable. In every other way my Premiere seems to work better.

6. Sep 4, 2012 #6 of 21
    thomb

thomb New Member

Jan 22, 2008
    Mill Creek, WA
    And that is why I'd rather have an S3. Able to share ALL recorded programs from 1 tivo to another.

7. Sep 4, 2012 #7 of 21
    lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    Which in my estimation is huge. The features potentially enabled by this are myriad and some are extremely important, IMO. Indeed, for me it is an absolute deal breaker.

Not at all. The Premier is inferior in a number of ways. First of all, the search functions, by far among the very most important feature set of the TiVo, have been badly gutted. Even if the Premier were hackable, there are at least two search areas that would also be deal breakers. The Premier does not seem to be as stable. Certainly the one I have suffers from more intermittent issues than the two S3 and one THD I have.

8. Sep 4, 2012 #8 of 21
    lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    Or to any device. The ability to archive programs to a server is absolutely essential.

9. Sep 5, 2012 #9 of 21
    Series3Sub

Series3Sub Active Member

Mar 14, 2010
    +1

10. buscuitboy

buscuitboy New Member

Aug 8, 2005
    Atlanta area
    I have a S3. How is it "hackable"? Is this referring to both pyTivo and streambaby? I use both with my S3 and they work great. A good addition, but maybe there are more that I am not aware of.

does this "ability to archive programs to a server" basically mean when a S3 is used in conjunction with TiVo desktop software? I know there is also a certified NETGAR NAS device that can archive programs as needed. Or is there another method to archive programs to a server?

11. Stormspace

Stormspace Electrocuted by TiVo

Apr 13, 2004
    Hartsville, SC
    +1

12. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Active Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    Via a EEPROM mod. One of the hacks allows the encryption key to be disabled, but we can't talk about the methodology here.;)

Hackability was the main reason why I chose Tivo over every other DVR that was available prior to the S3. It wasn't always my favorite DVR, but the ability to add features you couldn't get elsewhere was what sold me. Unfortunately, the current models have been rendered inert with respect to any hacking attempts from what I gather, making them not at all attractive to me. The S3 was the last model I purchased and I doubt I'll be buying another.

What's ironic is that most of Tivo's better features were born from the hacking community. Tivo just rolled them into their later OS releases with newer models and then blocked any future attempts at hacking. Talk about biting the hand that feeds you.:rolleyes:

13. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Like?

The only one I can think of is adding "support" (the special phone # prefix) for the S1 Ethernet adapters. Speaking of that, do you have details about getting ftp support on a s1? I'd like to use that to get some of the ancient shows off my Tivo, instead of just burning them realtime to a DVD. (I have tried googling, but haven't found any of the specific instructions around anymore.)

14. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Hacking let people export recordings from S1s.

TiVo Desktop lets me do it with my S2s without having to do any hacking.

Perhaps enough people did that with S1s, without trying to "steal service" from TiVo itself, that they got the idea it would be a good selling point to be able to do it easily with an S2.

15. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
  16. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    I started there and then installed mfs_ftp on my S1 to get some old shows off. Used mfs_ftp to download the shows as .ty+ format and then tytotivo to convert them.

Scott

17. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    The XL4 doesn't do OTA so I don't think that will be an issue for the OP.

Another MAJOR advantage to the XL4 compared to the S3 OLED is that it only requires 1 CableCARD to record 4 things. You'd need two S3 units with 4 CableCARDs (and possibly 2 Tuning Adapters) to accomplish the same thing, which would be significantly more expensive in terms of TiVo service fees and CableCARD fees. It's also nice to have all 4 tuners in one box because it limits the amount you have to manage the To Do List to prevent conflicts.

Dan

18. headless chicken

headless chicken Member

Oct 8, 2004
    I decided to keep my S3 afterall. I found the XL4 interface to be slow and hideous, and the only time I would be using all 4 tuners is on Tuesday nights. There are other, legal ways to watch the other shows that I can't Tivo, so I cancelled the Lifetime service on the new unit and shipped the XL4 back. No regrets.

I <3 my Series 3 with its OLED display and sleek black and silver exterior. I'm not giving up my baby ever again, haha.

19. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I think the original S3 would look good in walnut and gold anodized, like an old Fisher stereo from the 50s/60s.

20. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    It is definitely one of a kind.