1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adding premium channels: do you need to re-pair cable cards?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by jcddc, Sep 30, 2013.

1. jcddc

jcddc New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    I replaced my Series 3 OLED model with a Roamio late last month and have been very pleased with the results. I'm now thinking of adding Showtime. Will I need to do anything else besides calling Comcast and signing up for it? That is, will I separately also have to call the CableCARD number and have the cards re-paired? I'm reluctant to alter a setup that is currently working well.
  2. ajayabb

ajayabb New Member

Jan 11, 2007
    I believe the CC have to be paired , if you havent done so already, before receiving Premium Channels like Showtime, Cinemax or HBO
  3. kbmb

kbmb Active Member

Jun 22, 2004
    You shouldn't have to re-pair the card. I've added removed entire packages with no call other than to Comcast to make the package changes.

4. justinw

justinw New Member

Jan 30, 2007
    No you will not have to repair.
  5. jadziedzic

jadziedzic Member

Apr 20, 2009
    If the CableCARD was never paired to the new TiVo then yes, they will need to have it paired to the new TiVo in order to add premium channels.
  6. jcddc

jcddc New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    Thanks, everyone. To be clear, I did have the CableCARD paired with the Roamio originally. I wanted to know how much of a hassle it was to add new premium channels, and in particular if I'd have to call them a second time to do the pairing again. Happily, the answer appears to be very little hassle is involved. I will update this thread if the answer turns out to be different.
  7. AdamNJ

AdamNJ New Member

Aug 22, 2013
    And after you add the channel package, you will have to edit your channel listing to add those channels back to your lineup.
  8. cyberskier

cyberskier New Member

Mar 18, 2009
    I just did this a few days ago (added Showtime to get Homeland), and it is exactly as AdamNJ says. I had to go into my channel listings in the Settings, and put checkboxes next to the 6 Showtime channels.

I don't know how quickly Showtime showed up in the channel listings, as my wife called Comcast before we went to bed, and I didn't add the channels until the next day.
  9. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    When you add a package, it should be available on your TiVo within a minute or two. You should be able to manually tune them right away. If you disabled the channels from the guide, you can re-check them and they will show up in the guide.
  10. Alan_r

Alan_r New Member

Sep 13, 2013
    When I replaced the hard drive all my channels worked except for the premium channels.
    So while my situation wasnt exactly the same, I did still need to call Comcast to fix the premiums.
    I called the cable card activations department directly, they said the card was already paired to the TiVo and they just refreshed the signal and I was back in business 2 minutes later.

Just remember, if you do need to call them make sure you call the cable card number only and it will only take a couple minutes.
    Ive called that number a few times now and it never took any longer than a few minutes.
  11. hfcsyrup

hfcsyrup New Member

Dec 12, 2012
    i switched my cablecard which was paired from my P4 to my S3 where it was not paired. i moved it back to my P4 and now it is not paired. or at least the VAL:=?
    does moving from one device to another clear pairings?
  12. tim1724

tim1724 Member

Jul 3, 2007
    Yes, it does unpair them. (And it's not TiVo's fault; the CableCARD specification requires it to work this way.)
  13. djdanska

djdanska New Member

Sep 30, 2004
    I had to reboot my tuning adapter, but other than that it was just a few minutes. I have a feeling it would have eventually done it on its own

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4
  14. jcddc

jcddc New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    Exactly as several of you said, I added Showtime by calling Comcast, and the new channels showed up in a few minutes. Thanks for your help.