1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adding an external drive? Will there be a problem?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Ziggie, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Ziggie

Ziggie TiVo Since 2003

Jan 20, 2004
    Under a...
    Our old Series 3 TiVo was finally deactivated yesterday. It had an external 1T drive attached to it and we'd like to move it over to the new PRO.

My question is, will the recordings that are currently on the PRO remain there? Or do we lose everything by attaching the drive?

We no longer have the original instructions (the drive is a few years old), so I'm not even sure what the procedure is for attaching it.

2. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Your existing recordings will remain intact on the internal hard drive. Once you install the external, the recordings will span both drives.

IIRC, all you should have to do is power down the Tivo, plug in the external, and then power back up.

3. Ziggie

Ziggie TiVo Since 2003

Jan 20, 2004
    Under a...
    Sounds good Steve, thank you! :up:

4. takeshi

takeshi New Member

Jul 22, 2010
    (nm - misread the reply)

5. dianebrat

dianebrat I refuse to accept your reality TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Knowing that when the Expander dies or is removed you lose everything recorded after it was attached, I wouldn't install it.

6. Ziggie

Ziggie TiVo Since 2003

Jan 20, 2004
    Under a...
    Thanks Diane, I appreciate your reply. I talked about this in another thread (somewhere here) that we've been using these drives for over 4 years on other units. Now that one of the older TiVos has been deactivated, the 1T drive is just sitting next to it, doing nothing. Rather than have it sit useless, I want to marry it to the PRO.

I do realize you lose everything if the drive fails.