1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Add Cooperative Scheduling (and to search screen)

Discussion in 'TiVo Search Feedback - Beta Release (Archive)' started by magnus, Jan 11, 2009.

If Tivo could work on 1 feature, How important is cooperative scheduling?

1. Most important (if I could have one feature this year, this would be the one)

51.5%
  2. Somewhat important (there are some other features that I would prefer, what are they?)

25.8%
  3. Not important at all (this one is not even on the radar)

22.7%
  1. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    Cooperative Scheduling really should be added to search. I'd like to be able to search and find shows that I already have a season pass for in another room then be given the option to schedule a season pass to MRV (transfer) the show to my other Tivo automatically. If that feature could be added Tivo would rock even more.

2. pdhenry

pdhenry Safety Pin

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    Only if it's supported on S2s since my other TiVo is an S2.

3. nrc

nrc Cracker Soul

Nov 17, 1999
    Living in a...
    I put not important at all because I only have one TiVo. If there were a "not very important" I'd have chose that. I can see where cooperative scheduling would be very cool for those with multiple TiVos.

However, I'd say that the relationship of this to the new search feature is tenuous at best. You're really talking about an entirely different new feature that would then have to be represented in the new search feature.

4. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    Not really, If Tivo can search the internet for content then why not be able to give a list of shows that are already on my network of boxes (my MAK). Heck, I believe you can set up a season pass to Amazon for a show... so why not be able to set up a season pass to another Tivo on your network?

It seems like this sould be a very important part the new search. Yes. it's nice that I can see what is available from a host of other content providers but at it's core.... I'd like to be able to see what all is available within my network too.

5. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    I'm not sure what their plans are for the new search but yes that's exactly what I am looking for. I want to schedule a recording on my S2 (season pass) and then use Tivo's new search to search for and set up a cooperative scheduling season pass to that Tivo for that program.

I'd like to be able to set up this season pass and then not have to worry about moving the show to my S3... it would be done automatically.

6. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    What you are proposing would only be possible if the scheduled recordings and season passes on your boxes were known to TiVo when outside the TiVo Search application. I don't think that is the case.

Furthermore, it's not known whether the final version of this application will remain on TiVo's servers. The final version could be run, at least in large part, from your box.

7. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    You may be right but Tivo did ask for feedback. And this is the one feature that I would really like to get. And it really should be in the new search because it seems like they go together.

8. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    To the above, I do think cooperative scheduling is possible, but it would require some form of communication between the TiVos in your home.

It's not as simple as just sending a remote scheduling request through the Internet to another box, because remote scheduling does not know anything about your season passes or scheduled recordings (i.e. it can't avoid conflicts).

9. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    Yep, maybe it's really more like I want to be able to use Tivo's new search to find a Tivo that I already have a season pass for (Tivo A) and then on Tivo B... I want to be able to set up a season pass to MRV (transfer) the program automatically.

In that way, scheduling conflicts would not be a consideration.

So, maybe what I'm asking for is really not cooperative scheduling but it's very close.

10. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    I think it is the case, if you're opted in, which you have to be to use the new search.

11. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    I guess a more universal now playing that lists all the shows on the Other DVRs in one group would be nice. I rpetty much know where they are and some in my family might have to look under 1 ro 2 other DVrs before the yfind it. I would put this on the nice to have list.

Now the ability to choose which DVR to schedule a show on from the Tivo search - and get instant feedback on if conflicts happen with that schedule would be the real rocking part. No more jumping around DVRs to find the one i can put a new show on. after we have that feature then an easy way to go find the shows would help.

12. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    Ye, all of that would be good. It would be nice to at least get the ability to auto-transfer from another DVR this year. But even better to get the ability to schedule from one location via Tivo search.

13. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    If you're voting for other items, What are they? I can't imagine what would be more important for Tivo to work on but maybe someone has an idea that makes more sense (as it relates to the new search).

14. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    I voted other items. I consider the following to be higher priority items for TiVo:

1. Streaming MRV that can support copy protected content.

2. A 16:9 UI, including a 16:9 program guide that uses the extra screen space to show more information.

3. A program guide that clearly indicates what upcoming programs will and won't be recorded.

4. Customizable folders/groups, with an extra option under each season pass and wishlist to specify which folder/group the program would be saved under.

5. Improved conflict management that can recommend and modify the season pass list to maximize the number of programs that get recorded. This would greatly benefit more casual users that do not understand how to modify their season pass list to avoid missed programs due to conflicts.

6. Option to show the video window in the menus (being careful to hide / black out liveTV recordings in progress), a feature which many cable company DVR users demand.

15. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    1. with you up to here - these are big ones - especially the streaming.
      these are all operational in nature but really do not add functional value to the DVR
    I would hate to have Live TV showing up all the time. The remote has a pause button and TiVo has 2 live TV buffers. Why go to all the hassle of PIP and the expense of that over many, many other features.

Taking the 'choose which TiVo to record on" feature from online site and adding it into this TiVo search I can use my TiVo remote for - priceless. :up:

16. Mindflux

Mindflux TiVowned

Jan 16, 2008
    Err... what?

All of those listed add functional value. They all help the user to see what's being recorded, or how to record things in an order that'll maximize the use of their DVR. That's pretty much defines added functional value for the TiVo.

I had a scheduling conflict where I had three NEW shows on at 9PM on Thursday Night. Had I not come here to see how to fix it (by moving the network shows higher in priority) I might not have been able to do it. Now the two network shows record, and an hour later a rerun of the cable show records... but all the TiVo would tell me when making a season pass is that I had scheduling conflicts and it would NOT record all the shows I wanted.

The short of it is, if I hadn't known about TCF I would have probably never gotten that third show to record. Adding this functionality to the TiVo would be stupendous.

Do you post just to post? You seem to have something to say about EVERYTHING. Just curious.

17. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    the use of the word is subjective I'll grant you that. I ws trying to split the difference between something that allows for a new function versus just improving an existing function. Then how granular you make function is the next subjective part - So I used a word hoping to imply all that versus type all that :)
    in this case the 3 I pegged as just operational will help you more easily do the schedule function but do not actually add something you can not do/find out a different way, albeit a harder way. Folders are a gray area but you could TTG the shows to a PC and then drop them into folders of your choosing and namimg that TiVo desktop will publish back to the TiVo. If any of those were added i am sure I would make happy use of them but..

I typically have a different problem - since I like Sci-fi as well as regular shows and have a family of 6 to pick shows for - I very often have a true 3 way conflict that no amount of season pass shifting is going to fix. For my needs I need the NEW functionality of being to setup a recording from one TiVo onto a different TiVo and get instant feedback on conflicts as if I had scheduled it right on the other TiVo. That is my specific need and there is no way to do that short of walking between the TiVo DVRs or making a list since online scheduling will not let you move the season pass order on the TiVo like if I am sitting in front of my main one..

so you praise the forum then rag on someone that frequents the forum and contributes helpful posts* almost daily!?:rolleyes:

Sure I have something to say about many topics, I work from a home office so this is kind of my office banter replacement.

* along with my share of argumentative, feedback or just silly threadcr@p posts. :D

18. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    Well, I've been using this new search and I'm just not seeing the great benefit of it. I really think this search should encompass all the boxes on the users network. And it should allow the user to modify season passes to the other boxes as well as set up auto-transfers from that box to it. In other words set up a season pass to another box on your network.

19. MichaelK

MichaelK New Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ

as posted above- I'm fairly certain the mothership knows what you have. The reason I say that is i seem to recall that under certain instances if you scheduled a season pass online it would suck your list up to the mothership then you could REPLACE the hard drive in the box and it would download the list to the new drive without user intervention.

So they have that ability.