1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adanced DVR-Lifetime fee

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by the_Skywise, Jan 3, 2014.

1. the_Skywise

the_Skywise Member

Nov 27, 2000
    Indianapolis...
    My HR10-250 is definitely on its last legs so I'm thinking of either upgrading to the new THR22 or possibly switch to Comcast. I bought the HR10-250 on my own and got the lifetime service with it which was grandfathered in when Directv took over the Tivo handling)

A few years back there was some screwiness with my billing where they kept charging me HD even though I specifically couldn't get HD channels and that finally got resolved after much back and forth.

While checking the bill today to see the price difference between Directv and comcast I noticed that my DVR service is activated ($10 fee) along with my waived Tivo fee. However, I don't get charged that $10 fee. My bill only shows my channel package and "Advanced Receiver-DVR Lifetime" which is $0.00 (and the sports fee and tax).

Does the $10 DVR fee go along with the lifetime service or is this a billing error in my favor (possibly caused by that back and forth in the past)

I know if I upgrade to the THR22 that I'll get the $10 HD fee but I'm trying to figure out if I'll get the $10 DVR fee added back in too. ($20 more per month plus the lease fee?! Hullo Comcast...)

2. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    You should not be paying for DVR service. Also, if you get the THR22, you can avoid the $5 TiVo fee. The HR10 doesn't get charged the TiVo fee.

3. the_Skywise

the_Skywise Member

Nov 27, 2000
    Indianapolis...
    But the HR10 was (still is actually) a Tivo so wouldn't it have been charged the TiVo fee (if it weren't under lifetime)?

4. TonyTheTiger

TonyTheTiger Pro Troll Magnet

Dec 22, 2006
    No. The Hr10-250 did not have a TiVo fee. It was introduced with the THR22.

5. the_Skywise

the_Skywise Member

Nov 27, 2000
    Indianapolis...
    Cool - So I'll just get the $10 HD fee added on then...

(Why am I happy about that?!)

6. jsharper

jsharper rebmeM weN

Jan 28, 2002
    Gilbert, AZ
    To expand on this question a little.. I'm in a similar situation in that I'm still using three old directivo units (series one DSR6000R's in fact..). I bought "lifetime tivo" service from directv ages ago. My bill also lists "Advanced Receiver-DVR Lifetime 0.00" ... Now, i'm considering adding HD service and getting a Genie receiver and one of the Genie mini things to replace two of the directivos. Does anyone know if the "Advanced Receiver-DVR Lifetime" will cover all fees associated with the Genie and the mini other than the normal $6 additional receiver fees (which won't increase because I'll have the same number of total receivers when I am done)? I'm hoping I'd only pick up a monthly $10 HD fee but not any other DVR or advanced whole home bla bla fees.. anyone here with any first hand experience before I go get lied to by a CSR?

When I login to directv.com and go to My Services, it lists "Whole-Home DVR $3.00/mo" as "Not Eligible", lists "DVR $10.00/mo" as "Currently Activated" (but I have no corresponding $10/mo fee on my bill) and "TiVo Service - Free Lifetime" as "Currently Activated"

7. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Well, you have no whole-home capable DVRs, so that's why it says not eligible. My understanding is that lifetime service gets you out of paying DVR fees, so you would not incur the $10 DVR charge if you switched to a Genie. I think your bill would go up $13 for HD and whole-home (whether or not you have two DVRs.)

8. jsharper

jsharper rebmeM weN

Jan 28, 2002
    Gilbert, AZ
    Thanks Steve. So, I'm guessing from what you said that you have no $10/mo DVR fee on your bill given that you have both a THR22 and a Genie (and lifetime dtivo service IIRC from your posts years ago)?

9. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    I don't have lifetime service.