1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AD News from TVWeek.com

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Azlen, Jan 17, 2006.

1. Azlen

Azlen Active Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Peoria, AZ
    http://www.tvweek.com/lockland.cms?articleId=29233

The site requires free registration.

"A few weeks ago, news broke that Showtime and ABC were vying for the presumably canceled Fox comedy "Arrested Development." Turns out ABC offered producers Imagine Entertainment and 20th Century Fox Television a 13-episode commitment to the series, which a network spokesperson has now confirmed. Showtime, meanwhile, has offered a two-year commitment, which would likely translate to 26 episodes. Sources said producers are still mulling both offers. Meanwhile, the series continues to struggle on Fox, with its most recent episode drawing a mere 4.2 million viewers. Sources said an ABC deal, especially in the wake of the show's most recent performance, is unlikely. Last year Fox reduced the third-season order of "Arrested" from 22 to 13 episodes. Though the show has not been officially canceled, the reduction triggered a clause in the show's contract enabling producers to shop the series elsewhere."

2. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    While I've never watched the show even once, I'd really like to see it move to Showtime.

(And I'd watch it)

3. mwhip

mwhip All better

Jul 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Well they can't do anything with the show until FOX officially cancels it. Right now the FOX prez is saying he is waiting for the 2-hour "finale" numbers along with meeting with their development department regarding the show. I guess he wants to see if they have anything better on the horizon or if they need to keep it.

4. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    It's gotta be tough to be in Fox's position on this one. You have a show that you really like and you want others to like it too. However, despite your best efforts, the show fails to gain a following and you feel like you have to let it go. As soon as you make a little noise about letting it go, several other networks jump up and say they want to take it off your hands. Suddenly, you have to wonder if you really want to let it go after all. What are these other networks planning to do with the show that will make it more successful? Can we figure that out and do the same thing? We don't want to keep a struggling show just for the sake of keeping it, but at the same time, we don't want to be known as the network that cancelled a show that turned out to be a major hit.

5. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    You're assuming Fox execs think.

6. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Good point.

7. 4inziksych

4inziksych New Member

Feb 28, 2003
    Oh just cut the crap and let go of it already (directed at them, not you)! They've messed it up so badly - if I didn't have TIVO I would never have been able find it in all the places they've hidden it. Just let go.

They're probably just afraid it WILL be a hit and they'll then look like idiots.

8. JPinAZ

JPinAZ Dead money

Jun 26, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    They want to see if it will get better numbers, so they decide to put it up against one of the biggest events of the year? I'm surprised they didn't decide to air it during the Super Bowl.

9. ckelly5

ckelly5 Denny Crane

Feb 26, 2004
    Boston, MA
    The thing is, if Showtime were to get it, and they got 4-5 million viewers, it'd be a huge hit for them. Showtime wouldn't have to do much at all so ensure a success (assuming AD viewers would subscribe to showtime, which assuming I know AD viewers, they would)

10. Rob Dawn

Rob Dawn Member

Aug 16, 2002
    Colorado...
    I'm a HUGE AD fan (AD Season 1 & 2 are the ONLY DVD TV sets that I have) but I would not subscribe to Showtime to watch it - I'd wait for the DVD set to come out and buy that - it would be like paying for the show twice!
    Hopefully Showtime/ABC take in to account potential revenue from DVD sales in their consideration of whether to pick the show up.

Rob

11. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I'm also a huge fan and wouldn't subscribe to Showtime. However, my reasons are not because of money or the show itself, but because I'd have to get digital cable (or satellite) to get Showtime and I'm not interested in having a cable box. I like being able to use the tuners built into my TiVo, TV, and VCR. Perhaps that will change when cable card devices become more common, but for now, I'm happy with my set up the way it is.

12. 4inziksych

4inziksych New Member

Feb 28, 2003
    I'm watching the 1st and 2nd season dvds which I just bought. I have never bought any dvd's of any tv show before, I never even bought tapes of tv shows before tivo. That's how much I love AD. BUT, I think it's way more enjoyable to watch the show on TIVO, the pause and ff on dvd is too awkward. IT's been said before, and I didn't know what they meant, but that show is meant to be watched on a tivo. Could possibly explain the ratings.

13. DoubleAK

DoubleAK New Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Broomfield, CO
    While I love AD, I can't see myself subscribing to Showtime just to see it. I'd probably buy the DVDs instead. But of course I'm hoping Showtime does pick it up so the show can live on!

And I think Fox did a horrible job in promoting this show. If they put half the effort and budget into hyping this show as they did for 24, Idol, Prison Break, etc. this show would be a hit. Even that awful Michael Rappaport sitcom gets more promotional time! :(

14. pawchikapawpaw

pawchikapawpaw New Member

Aug 17, 2004
    Houston
    ugh. the war at home. that's almost as unfunny as bernie mac.

15. DougF

DougF Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2003
    North Dakota
    I don't think Showtime or ABC would share in DVD revenue. Wouldn't the company that produces or distributes the show get that money?

16. funbox

funbox New Member

Apr 5, 2002
    Its actually really discouraging but so far the general concensus is that not many would subscribe to Showtime for AD. Personally it pisses me off a little bit, but I can appreciate that there are certain circumstances where someone couldn't financially afford it. For those that could but wouldn't want to, try and understand that Reality TV and fluff are taking over the public airwaves. Its already been determined that the quantity of people that appreciate intelligent and demanding shows is slim. If that same minority isn't willing to do something in order to support their shows (sadly buying DVD's is too little, too late and we all know that money is about the only method of support any business cares about) then expect tragedies like Freaks & Geeks, Sports Night, Firefly, Undeclared, Arrested Development, Scrubs, etc.

17. jerobi

jerobi News/Deal Junkie

Sep 28, 2000
    It can be a hard sell to subscribe to any pay channel for just one show. I wouldn't get HBO just for Deadwood, etc. I wouldn't get Showtime just for Weeds. But HBO has a nice list of 6-8 series that I enjoy. Showtime has maybe 2 or 3, at best. Adding Arrested Development makes Showtime signifigantly stronger in the battle for my dollar, and I think that many A.D. fans would share in that assessment.

18. Frank_M

Frank_M New Member

Sep 9, 2001
    Shrewsbury, MA
    I would get Showtime just for AD. I've heard good things about Weeds, etc... and AD would be just the kick to get it. And while they've been ramping up their original programming battle with HBO of late, the aquisition of AD would really be a very newsworthy event.

The positive press alone they'd get for "saving" it would a boon to them.

Here's the bigger question I have with regard to the show moving. Who would own the rights to reruns? Would Showtime be able to run Seasons 1-3? You'd hope so.

19. funbox

funbox New Member

Apr 5, 2002
    Yeah, the thing is though, if someone did get HBO just for Deadwood, they would discover The Wire, Rome, Sopranos, Carnivale, Entourage, CYE, SATC, Da Ali G Show. Its important to give these niche channels a shot. I can't imagine what TV would be like right now if HBO hadn't taken over, but its a scary picture.

Yeah outside of Weeds, Sleeper Cell & AD I have little interest in any of the shows on Showtime. But the quality of those three shows gives me hope that they're paddling in the right direction.

20. NoThru22

NoThru22 Smelly Pirate Hooker

May 6, 2005
    Bel Air, MD
    Normally the network doesn't get a slice but I bet that whoever saves the show will make profit sharing on the DVD sales as part of the deal.