1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Activating for a few months at a time

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by ncbill, Dec 28, 2012.

1. ncbill

ncbill Member

Sep 1, 2007
    Western NC
    I picked up several new-old-stock Premieres from Woot!

And am currently using one in "Unknown!" mode up here at the cabin.

I only use this place for a few months a year (November to March) and would like to activate for just those months w/o getting stuck with a year's activation.

Is this possible?

(Already have: lifetime Premiere, lifetime TivoHD, lifetime Series 2, monthly TivoHD at home)

2. socrplyr

socrplyr Active Member

Jul 19, 2006
    I don't think there is a typical way to do that. However, you could always call up, explain your situation and see if they will do it. If they do allow you, I would make sure that you get something in writing as it would probably entail you calling up and canceling (but not being under contract). If they screwed up and you didn't have anything written, then you would basically be SOL. I did a similar thing once (not quite the same, so I wouldn't say they have done what you ask in the past) and the account didn't get marked as no contract. Luckily they had the original records of the request and they waived the cancellation.

3. shwru980r

shwru980r Active Member

Jun 22, 2008
    I think you can go month to month on a the Series 3 Tivos right away without an initial 1 year commitment. Maybe you could swap out your monthly Tivo HD with one of those premieres. Then you could activate the Tivo HD for a few month at a time at the cabin.