1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Activate TIVO with Verizon

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Skip Abell, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Skip Abell

Skip Abell Newbie

Oct 23, 2013
    Arizona/Sout...
    I recently purchased a TIVO Premiere. I use a Verizon internet connection. I cannot activate. I do not have access to any other broadband internet, my phone line will only accept a dial-up modem. My verizon hot-spot provides me high speed internet, I can use Net-Flix, and it does support on-line gaming. I spoke with the Geeks at Best Buy, they recommended a wireless NetGear adapter, it would not work with the TIVO. The TIVO sales and service reps both suggested I try a forum, 'cause they are aware others have used the Verizon internet connection, but TIVO does not support it officially yet. Hope someone can help me...I'm a retired guy with basic tech skills, so please be gentle with me! Thanks

2. bayern_fan

bayern_fan New Member

Aug 11, 2013
  3. philhu

philhu User Since Day ONE!

Apr 11, 2001
    Funcity, MA
    What kind of Tivo CSR would LIE to you about NOT supporting a Verizon Internet connection 'officially'. Of COURSE it will work. It is like any other. As mentioned, you are making it too complicated. The back of the Tivo has an ethernet connector, so plua a caqble into that and the Verizon modem (it has 4 ports) or use the tivo wireless adapter and connect to your wireless internet signal.

4. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    Ok, Skip...

Assuming your talking about just the standard Verizon FIOS internet and Cable service, you are fine. You have a few options to consider.

1) you pull a network cable from your router to your TiVo

2) you can purchase a single MoCa adapter (the internet signal is actually on your verizon TV Coax line)
    https://www.tivo.com/shop/detail/moca

3) you can use your exising Wi-Fi network ( assuming you have one) and purchase a Wi-Fi dongle from TiVo.
    https://www.tivo.com/shop/detail/wireless-n

For ease of use and reliability for you - I would recommend option 2. Since you have Verizon Fios, you have the network on your TV Coax cable and using this adapter to provide a reliable network drop at your TV is easy at a resonable price.

You will need the adapter, a short ethernet cable, and two short cable coax cables. Place the MoCa adapter next to your TV and run the first Coax from the wall outlet into the adapter. From the adapter run an ethernet cable to your TiVo and a second Coax cable to your TiVo - and you are Done!!!!!

I hope that helps!

5. philhu

philhu User Since Day ONE!

Apr 11, 2001
    Funcity, MA
    Doesn't alter the fact that the CSR you spoke too was lying thru his teeth. Tivo CSR roulette. Geez

6. mdscott

mdscott Active Member

Jun 26, 2002
    Hermosa...
    What brand and model router have you been provided by Verizon?

The ActionTec MI424WR used by them creates its own MoCA network and so no additional MoCA adapter would be necessary.,

7. caughey

caughey Member

May 26, 2007
    Orange County
    Skip wrote:
    I know some who uses a Verizon Wireless MiFi device for their home internet. If that's what you're doing Skip, then the TiVo wireless adapter is what you need.

If you do have a FiOS connection and router, then you can choose any of the three options bradleys has laid out for you.

8. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    I missed that...

Skip has a Mi-Fi mobile hot spot - not broadband internet!

OK Skip, your only option is going to be a Wi-Fi dongle from TiVo.
    https://www.tivo.com/shop/detail/wireless-n

What I am unsure about is how this will work with the "local network" requirements for TiVo to work. I am understanding the information you recieved from the CSR better now.

Short answer - not really supported that way. Long answer, somebody may have figured out a way to make it work and this forum is going to be the best resouce for that answer.

Sorry for taking you down the wrong path with my answers.

9. True Colors

True Colors Member

Oct 18, 2006
    The original post says that the only wireline internet he has is dial up. No broadband. So how is the Tivo person a liar? The premier does not work with dialup internet.

This same topic has popped up before...... that is, how can a mobile hotspot with cellular data be used to connect a Premier to the Tivo mothership. All of the information that I have seen doubts that it can be done. The Tivo device is able to recognize that the cellular data connection is not an ethernet infrastructure connection so therefore it does not work. There is some sort of an issue with port forwarding or something like that.

There are a couple of products which might be able to overcome this but I have not been able to test these myself. For example, cradlepoint makes a cellular to ethernet adpater. Also, Verizon now offers a cellular to ethernet router. Perhaps the original poster should investigate these possible solutions.

TC

10. Skip Abell

Skip Abell Newbie

Oct 23, 2013
    Arizona/Sout...
    Thanks all...you've given me some good info...I think I will stop by the Verizon store first and see what they can tell me. My internet device is an 890L-A147, there are no ports to connect a cable to. I'm thinking it's gonna hafta be some sort of wireless adapter. Also discovered the park we are in has upgraded their wireless and added several new towers. I am connected to one now...perhaps a wireless connection. Would either the TIVO N or B/G Network adapter work for me?

11. rifleman69

rifleman69 Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Oregon
    Get the N, it won't be overkill.

12. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    Sure it does.

https://tivo.com/shop/detail/usb-phone-adapter

That makes no sense. Why would the TiVo care? Internet is Internet.

I think you must be confusing things like MRV/MRS, which are limited to the LAN, with the TiVo's general network functions. All the OP is looking for is activation and guide data.

13. True Colors

True Colors Member

Oct 18, 2006
    Well, in actuality, that product you posted does not allow people to use their dialup internet service to connect to Tivo. In fact, you would have to make sure that your internet dialup service was turned off in order to be able to use that thing.

Now, if you want to argue that the USB adapter you referenced allows people to connect to Tivo using similar technology as their dialup internet service provider, then yeah, okay, I see your point. Yes, it is possible to connect a Premiere over an analog phone line.

Regarding the use of cellular data to connect a Premier to the Tivo mothership....... this issue has been hashed out numerous times on this board and elsewhere. I haven't seen anyone successfully do it yet. And at this point I do not feel like spending my own personal time to figure this out. This is on my "to do" list but it is pretty far down towards the bottom and I might not ever get to it.

If you know of a way to do this then you must know something that other people do not know. Including tivo themselves.

http://forums.tivo.com/pe/action/forums/displaypost?postID=11052357#e11052357

TC