1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Accidentally erased hard drive

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by cpgny9, Mar 3, 2013.

1. cpgny9

cpgny9 New Member

Feb 28, 2006
    Hi all,
    I'm hoping I can get some direction here. I was trying to change the hard drive in my tivo, and accidentally erased (reformatted) the hard drive that came with the tivo premiere XL. Long story what/why I did what I did, but now when I plug in the original hard drive, the unit just blinks (both the buttons and the screen) and won't start up.
    Is there anyway for me to reformat the original hard drive? I've searched through multiple forums, but all I find are instructions on how to copy/upgrade hard drive, nothing on how to just format. I realize I lost everything I had on the original drive, just trying to get it to work again. Also, I've seen on the Internet/eBay where I can buy an already formatted drive....but I'd if there's a way to save this drive, I'd rather do that than spend $200 on a new one

Thanks for any help in advance

2. jmbach

jmbach der Neuerer

Jan 1, 2009
    Can you be more specific on how you erased the drive. Was it written over with zeros type of erase. Reformatted by wiping the partition table ( "quick erase" ) or via a different method. If it just a wipe of the partition table then since each model of TiVos have a standard partition table and if you are up to it, we can recreate the first 16 blocks that make up the table.

3. cpgny9

cpgny9 New Member

Feb 28, 2006
    It was a quick format on my windows PC.

Thanks!

4. Allanon

Allanon Member

Nov 2, 2005
    You can buy a replacement drive kit from a place like dvrupgrade.com. Or you can ask someone with a Premiere if they would make a disk image for you.

5. jmbach

jmbach der Neuerer

Jan 1, 2009
    So this drive is a standard 1TB drive out of a Premiere XL. Correct. No modification has been done to it. Correct as well. Send me a PM and we can do some further checking to make sure it can be done. You might not have lost any programming if everything checks out.

6. lillevig

lillevig Hot in West Texas

Dec 6, 2010
    San Angelo, TX
    At this point a disk image of Premieres cannot be made. There is an older post in the Upgrade Forum of someone who may be close to pulling it off but nothing definite yet. Currently the only verified way to do it is to copy directly from a working Premeire drive of the same model number.

7. jmbach

jmbach der Neuerer

Jan 1, 2009
    Ggieseke is very close to having something done probably in the next few weeks. His alpha testing has been successful sofar.

8. keffer

keffer New Member

Feb 24, 2004
    I need an image for a 320GB Premiere. Mine died (?), I have verified the HD is good (SpinRite). I would like to re-image the existing drive vice adding a larger internal HD in hopes of recovering programming on my external HD. Appreciate assistance.